Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone drafting ahead of the Broncos in draft that needs a qb?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Doesn't matter. We'll have Ryan Tannehill anyway.

You shut your whore mouth!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

2. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Well...the QB's worth taking in the 2nd will all be taken in the 1st...so...I'd wait for a project in a later round and go BPA. There is some nice depth at the positions we need.

Coach, what do you think of Thoroson?
    I just got done watching some of him and I cam away really impressed! Do you think hes a 4th rd guy? He reads the field so well, good arm, great mechanics!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I'd rather trade for Bortles instead of Tannehill and I don't want either. At least Bortles has some record of success.

The problem with grading mocks is that you typically can't forecast trades and all it takes is one unexpected selection to alter several more picks down the list. I presume most draftniks did not have Chubb falling to us last year and we weren't really anticipating taking him but when he fell to us, we decided he was a better choice than any of the remaining QBs.

As for second-round QBs, I'll again point to Will Grier of W. Virginia. There are some who are high on Tyree Jackson of Buffalo because of his mobility and strong arm. Of course, the combine and private workouts move people up and down the board greatly.

Personally, I do mocks so I can anticipate who'll be available in what rounds so I can line up positions to draft. For example, one guy I'd love to see us draft is Benny Snell, a RB of Kentucky who is a tough runner and decent receiver who can handle a 30-carry load and would be good depth behind Lindsey. The highest draft position I've seen him taken was in the third round but he most likely goes in the fourth or fifth since the board has a lot of similar-type runners and there will be a run of RBs in the 4th or 5th with Snell being one of them. Therefore, I'd line up my draft picks to set aside a place in round 4 or 5 to take him.

Another RB I like is Bryce Love of Stanford who blew out his knee late in the year. He would have been a first-round pick if he came out last year but now he's likely to still be there in the fifth. I would take him in the 5th or 6th and then stash him for a year in hopes his knee will be ready in 2020. If I can't get Snell, I'd seriously consider taking Love and rehabbing him the first year.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Coach, what do you think of Thoroson?
    I just got done watching some of him and I cam away really impressed! Do you think hes a 4th rd guy? He reads the field so well, good arm, great mechanics!
    Honestly...if he were available in the 6th or 7th, I could see taking him, but not sooner. He does have some flaws that can be coached, but also has a lot that are just physical deficiencies. Can't coach genetics. Absolute best you could hope for is another Blake Bortles.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

chaz, what do you think of stidham, and tyree jackson?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    I am not chaz therefore not important, I see Stidham falling to the 3rd. Tyree to me is 6th rd or later.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Stidham has career back-up written all over him. I've seen him play a ton from Baylor and in the SEC and while I don't see too many "really" bad things, I still struggle to find anything that makes me optimistic, either. Especially under pressure. He definitely has to get better in that area. I saw a stat somewhere where only like 10-12% of his passes were thrown beyond his first read. Which makes sense if he doesn't handle pressure well. Also raises questions about how he reads the field and becomes predictable.

Tyree Jackson, I believe has the tools to be a project, but it's going to take a lot of time to get him there. Maybe if he had been at a better school or worked with some private QB coaches he'd be better, but he is VERY raw and probably a 3-4 year project...assuming he ever pans out.

Just my opinions.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    1. Arizona Cardinals (3-13)
    2. San Francisco 49ers (4-12)
    3. New York Jets (4-12)
    4. Oakland Raiders (4-12)
    5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11)
    6. New York Giants (5-11)
    7. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)
    8. Detroit Lions (6-10)
    9. Buffalo Bills (6-10)
    10. Denver Broncos (6-10)
    Raiders, bucs, giants, jags all needs QB's or in the case of the raiders are stupid enough to want a new QB... There is talk that the Lions could move on from Stafford, plus anyone could leapfrog us and take a QB.

oh gross....

But to be honest...I'd rather Tannehill on a 1 or 2 year deal as opposed to trotting Keenum out there again.
    So you'd rather have the same QB with a different name and injury problems?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    So you'd rather have the same QB with a different name and injury problems?
    I prefer neither, but if I had to choose...I think Tannehill is better. Yeah...he hasn't played a full season since 2015, but at least he's played decently for more than one season. And did it on bad teams.

I don't want it to sound like I'm campaigning for the guy, but if I have to choose Keenum and a rookie sitting for at least a year...or cutting Keenum and having Tannehill on a better contract for a year in front of that same rookie...my vote is for Tannehill. And let's face it. None of these rookie QB's will come in and start right away.

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Sadly, that thought crossed my mind with news of Miami letting him go.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Sadly, that thought crossed my mind with news of Miami letting him go.
    I'm not against it. I look at it this way...

1. None of the rookie QB's will be starters this year unless it's on a rebuilding team...which we are not.
    2. I'm going to assume that after free agency and due to Fangio, the defense is going to be elite again.
    3. An average QB can win on a team with an elite defense
    4. Would I rather the final year of Keenum running this ship? Or a manager like Tannehill on a 1-year "prove it deal"?

Only other options are trading for Foles or Flacco. My vote would be Tannehill for a year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Stidham has career back-up written all over him. I've seen him play a ton from Baylor and in the SEC and while I don't see too many "really" bad things, I still struggle to find anything that makes me optimistic, either. Especially under pressure. He definitely has to get better in that area. I saw a stat somewhere where only like 10-12% of his passes were thrown beyond his first read. Which makes sense if he doesn't handle pressure well. Also raises questions about how he reads the field and becomes predictable.

Tyree Jackson, I believe has the tools to be a project, but it's going to take a lot of time to get him there. Maybe if he had been at a better school or worked with some private QB coaches he'd be better, but he is VERY raw and probably a 3-4 year project...assuming he ever pans out.

Just my opinions.
    gracias. . . is there anyone you like out of the second tier QB group?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    NFLN has the Broncos taking Devin White, so I'm good with their mock draft.
    So basically, you didn't answer any of my questions or concerns. I'll just assume that mock drafts are everybody's way of passing the time between SB and draft that has absolutely no basis in reality. Think I'll go ice fishing in Mexico for a few months. Call me when we're a couple days from the draft. TIA

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information