Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: John Elway Said to be High on Quarterback Drew Lock

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Murray is a better baseball prospect than Elway was, so arguably he has more leverage in that his baseball threat is more credible.

Issue is... How good of a football prospect is Murray really? He had one year as the full time starter at OSU, and was arguably better than Mayfield who went #1 last year. Murray is a polarizing prospect by nature, but is it one of those scenarios where he really is a top-5 pick talent that sneaks down to 10, or is he a top 140 talent that sneaks down to 32?

Either way, there's no way in hell this guy doesn't sneak his baseball signing bonus as long as he can. Scott Boras is extremely pissed at this whole scenario, because he now has to go to all the MLB teams and apologize, plus he has to register with the NFLPA as an NFL agent to keep a QB that might be going top 10 and receive massive endorsements, because his guy is a straight-up baller.

Basically. I would take Murray at 10 if he committed privately to Elway, but kept saying he was going to play baseball publicly.
    I don't know if Murray is a better baseball prospect but I do know Elway was good enough that he was considered a five tool player and would have had long MLB career. Elway had more leverage because he was great quarterback. Murray is great athlete but necessarily a great quarterback.

That aside, I would not take him at, I doubt would as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Brees, Wilson, baker have proved this thinking to be quite passé. Short qb’s can be just as successful as the giraffes
    The difference is all of those guy are well over 200 lbs. Brees is the smallest at 209 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Brees, Wilson, baker have proved this thinking to be quite passé. Short qb’s can be just as successful as the giraffes
    Not really...They are the exception to the rule and he's about 2-3 inches SHORTER than they are.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Elway had the fortune of being drafted by the Yankees during the Steinbrenner Era which means George could match anything an NFL owner could pay Elway. Elway also played some that summer in the Yankees farm system. I think baseball scouts felt Elway was a borderline baseball talent (to reach the majors) but that Steinbrenner could pay for whatever he wanted. Elway's choice: Be a once in a generation QB talent or a backup OF in the majors.

Oakland is universally known as the Moneyball team that has to be cheap with their payroll and trade away players who reach a high salary. IOW, an NFL owner just needs to flash more cash and Murray (or his agent) will follow. I honestly can't say how Murray grades out with baseball scouts so it is hard to assess his skills in one sport over the other but certainly he won't be some 40-HR slugger without some artificial help so his ticket to stardom would appear to be as a football player.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

And, just like that, Murray announces he'll play football:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/k...in-this-draft/

Perfect!

That only helps the broncos.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Perfect!

yea. . . hopefully somebody takes that midget ahead of us, and it causes devin white to fall to #10. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    And, just like that, Murray announces he'll play football:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/k...in-this-draft/
    And with that Lock gets that much closer to us. I like it.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Perfect!

As long as we don't draft him. Maybe Washington or Detroit is that dumb...

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    yea. . . hopefully somebody takes that midget ahead of us, and it causes devin white to fall to #10. . .
    Even he's there when Denver drafts it doesn't mean Elway is interested in him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    And with that Lock gets that much closer to us. I like it.
    Are you locked on Lock?

15. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Even he's there when Denver drafts it doesn't mean Elway is interested in him.
    true. . . i'd still rather see him off the board, so the temptation's not there. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Not really...They are the exception to the rule and he's about 2-3 inches SHORTER than they are.
    It’s can only be a rule if there is some sorta precident - which besides the people i mention having success there isn’t. think of this way - Which short QB’s have failed in NFL during the same time? And Manziel doesn’t count. He failed because of his proclivity for too much partying.
    It’s a pretty tired narrative with little to back it up besides the old guard thinking these dudes can’t throw over the OLs’s head. If he fails as a qb - it won’t because he’s too short. And based of his official measurement 5’ 9 7/8’s he only 1” shorter then Russell Wilson.
    Now hands size is a another matter!

19. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Are you locked on Lock?
    Im actually more locked in on White but from everything we are hearing John likes Lock so i wouldnt necessarily hate the pick.

21. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    As long as we don't draft him. Maybe Washington or Detroit is that dumb...

I do not think its dumb but I also do not think Elway will take him. But not for the stupid height reasons. He wont be on our board because he is a project. I do not think Elway will take any more project QBs. Murray needs to be able to read a defense and beat teams with his arm if he is unable to run. For now, the cannot do that. I do not think that is something Elway will consider.

We do not have to wonder nor worry about Murray being a Bronco.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information