Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: John Elway Said to be High on Quarterback Drew Lock

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Shit, Cutler got Shanny fired. CoK6.
    exactly. . .

#CoachKiller6
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Yeah no. Defense got Shanahan fired. This isn’t debatable. When he got fired, everyone knew why. Worst D in the league for several seasons. Cutler was considered a rising star. Come on now.
    Last edited by atwater27; 03-23-2019 at 11:11 PM.

3. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

His decision to draft Cutler got him fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Yeah no. Defense got Shanahan fired. This isn’t debatable. When he got fired, everyone knew why. Worst D in the league for several seasons. Cutler was considered a rising star. Come on now.
    if he could've beaten phyllis rivers, shanny coulda survived the bad D. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

7. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PFM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    What could have been had Shanny not get fired. But he deserved it.
    He just won us back to back Super Bowl titles. Didn't Bowlen later say that firing was a mistake?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Bowlen fired Shanatan too late, imo, he deserved to be fired in the early 2000’s but had started to rectify his issues in the draft and FA. He had built a great offense with the single most important ingredient (Cutler) and all he needed to do was get his defensive shit together.

In the end it was Shanatan’s (just like Kubes) loyalty to incompetent coaches that got him fired.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

The Broncos QB situation is the reason I can’t stand the “It factor” cliche, you can’t “It” your way to a Championship, you need talent.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    The Broncos QB situation is the reason I can’t stand the “It factor” cliche, you can’t “It” your way to a Championship, you need talent.
    Yeah, but Clayton Thorsen...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Its Haskins, Murray and Lock for the top 10....in my opinion, and I wouldn't take any other QB in rd 1. Be interesting to see, as I think Miami will trade for Carr after Oakland drafts Haskins, and Washington will trade for Rosen. Which means if we don't take Lock, he and Jones could both drop in a big way.
    Are you merely speculating that the Broncos might take a QB at #10? Or do you think that could happen? Because there's maybe a 10% outside chance the Broncos take a QB at #10.

Elway tells you exactly what he thinks at Flacco's presser. Flacco "is in his prime." Elway anticipates that he's found his QB for the next 3 or 4 years. Flacco's 34 now so he'd be the Broncos QB until he's 37 or 38 years old.

I don't agree with this, but Elway does.

He might take a QB in the second or later rounds as a backup QB like he did with Osweiler. But, low chance he takes a QB at #10. Not with Flacco in there! They've got their QB.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Are you merely speculating that the Broncos might take a QB at #10? Or do you think that could happen? Because there's maybe a 10% outside chance the Broncos take a QB at #10.

Elway tells you exactly what he thinks at Flacco's presser. Flacco "is in his prime." Elway anticipates that he's found his QB for the next 3 or 4 years. Flacco's 34 now so he'd be the Broncos QB until he's 37 or 38 years old.

I don't agree with this, but Elway does.

He might take a QB in the second or later rounds as a backup QB like he did with Osweiler. But, low chance he takes a QB at #10. Not with Flacco in there! They've got their QB.
    do you really believe everything you read on the internet?
    - John Elway

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    His decision to draft Cutler got him fired.
    No it didn't. Cutler was in the pro-bowl Shanny's last year. What got him fired doing horribly stupid things like moving up in the first round to draft DE Jarvis Moss, and then drafting Tim Crowder in the second. Both sucked. They weren't the only sucky picks he had either.

After 2005 his old veterans like Rod Smith and the old '98 SB OL and defensive players were all gone. Courtney Brown retired, Gerrard Warren retired, he just failed to tell anybody, Al Wilson was ineffective and retired due to injury. Basically, his old veterans retired and he failed to replace them with anybody comparable.

Then Shanny finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs for the third straight year, and Bowlen had enough and canned him. Drafting Jay Cutler had nothing to do with it. It was only later AFTER Shanny that Cutler became the coach-killer. He did't do that stuff under Shanahan, and it's unclear what Cutler would have become had Shanahan kept coaching here. Not great, but he could have been better than he was later.

17. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    do you really believe everything you read on the internet?
    Well, if you think Elway wants to draft a groom a young QB for the next several years when he only has 3 years left on his contract (which he is not expected to renew), then you are a bigger fool than you let on.

Everything he says is about Joe Flacco being the future. Of course, he might feel differently after this season if Flacco sucks, but then they can get rid of him with no cap hit in 2020 and draft a replacement.

Meanwhile they have Flacco as the starter for 2019. They aren't drafting a QB at #10, just watch and see!

Flacco is "in his prime" and has many good years left! He can definitely win the SB late in his career, just like Elway did.

Don't take my word for it. I don't believe it and I don't urge you to believe it either.

But, Elway clearly does believe it. If he didn't he could have kept Keenum to suck until whatever QB he drafted is ready to start, and then act as the backup (since they were forced to pay him some of his salary anyway).

Yes, Keenum is worse than Flacco, but what difference would that make if Flacco is going to be the backup? And if you draft a QB in the top 10 you have to start him year 1 to get him experience. Anybody drafted that high is clearly the future franchise QB, so the sooner he gets trained to be a starting NFL QB the better. Get him in there!

It would have made no sense to sign Flacco and then pay part of Keenum's salary if you were going to draft and start a QB in the first round. They might as well just keep Keenum as backup and renegotiate his contract. Keenum is getting $3.5m as a backup in DC. It would have been way cheaper to keep him and re-negotiate him to a backup contract here than to trade for Flacco.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Adopted Bronco:

mm-hmm. . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    mm-hmm. . .
    Have you heard anything about Elway quitting once his contract is up because I sure haven't.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, if you think Elway wants to draft a groom a young QB for the next several years when he only has 3 years left on his contract (which he is not expected to renew), then you are a bigger fool than you let on.

Everything he says is about Joe Flacco being the future. Of course, he might feel differently after this season if Flacco sucks, but then they can get rid of him with no cap hit in 2020 and draft a replacement.

Meanwhile they have Flacco as the starter for 2019. They aren't drafting a QB at #10, just watch and see!

Flacco is "in his prime" and has many good years left! He can definitely win the SB late in his career, just like Elway did.

Don't take my word for it. I don't believe it and I don't urge you to believe it either.

But, Elway clearly does believe it. If he didn't he could have kept Keenum to suck until whatever QB he drafted is ready to start, and then act as the backup (since they were forced to pay him some of his salary anyway).

Yes, Keenum is worse than Flacco, but what difference would that make if Flacco is going to be the backup? And if you draft a QB in the top 10 you have to start him year 1 to get him experience. Anybody drafted that high is clearly the future franchise QB, so the sooner he gets trained to be a starting NFL QB the better. Get him in there!

It would have made no sense to sign Flacco and then pay part of Keenum's salary if you were going to draft and start a QB in the first round. They might as well just keep Keenum as backup and renegotiate his contract. Keenum is getting $3.5m as a backup in DC. It would have been way cheaper to keep him and re-negotiate him to a backup contract here than to trade for Flacco.
    That's assuming CK would renegotiate. I'll say it for the 50th time. I don't know what JE is thinking...but his thought process doesn't change if it's CK or JF under center. If he likes any of the QBs, adding Flacco won't stop him from drafting him.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information