Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: John Elway Said to be High on Quarterback Drew Lock

At this point Lock and Flacco are a similar style of QB. It really wouldn't shock me if Lock got picked, but I'm afraid what Elway's going to do is just ignore a QB in this draft or try to pull another Trevor and make a miracle out of a late round pick and fail.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

We should draft Lock at 10. We need a back-up for when Flacco inevitably shows he is just as middling a Qb as Keenum....we cant juts hope we have a 7th rd qb project that can be the back-up we need legit talent there....cause its not a matter of if Flacco will fail but when.....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:

A capable vet QB on contract for a few years means you don't have to force one of this years less than brilliant draft QB's to be the future. You can wait for better options.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    A capable vet QB on contract for a few years means you don't have to force one of this years less than brilliant draft QB's to be the future. You can wait for better options.
    I hear you, but at the same time. Lets say next year's class is as good as it looks like it could be. The plan can't be to suck this year with Flacco and win less than 8 games, so how much draft capital is it going to cost in 2020 to move up from the back of the pack vs this year when we're sitting at 10?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I hear you, but at the same time. Lets say next year's class is as good as it looks like it could be. The plan can't be to suck this year with Flacco and win less than 8 games, so how much draft capital is it going to cost in 2020 to move up from the back of the pack vs this year when we're sitting at 10?
    I guess that's the dilemma. Take 2nd round talent with the #10 pick this year...or get fringe 1st round talent with a later pick next year. Or build draft capital between now and then to offer a chance to move up. I think having a capable vet on the roster for 2-3 years opens up options that don't require gambling on a guy this year, who we might have to move up into the top 5 to get.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I guess that's the dilemma. Take 2nd round talent with the #10 pick this year...or get fringe 1st round talent with a later pick next year. Or build draft capital between now and then to offer a chance to move up. I think having a capable vet on the roster for 2-3 years opens up options that don't require gambling on a guy this year, who we might have to move up into the top 5 to get.
    That was Elway's thinking when he signed Keenum though. Didn't exactly pan out then either. I say strike while the irons hot. Fans are getting tired of kicking the can a few more years down the road every season. Could have had a QB last year had we not used that "oh it can wait" mentality.

Adopted Bronco:

That was Elway's thinking when he signed Keenum though. Didn't exactly pan out then either. I say strike while the irons hot. Fans are getting tired of kicking the can a few more years down the road every season. Could have had a QB last year had we not used that "oh it can wait" mentality.
    Would you and "the fans" have been happy with Rosen or Allen? Would you or "the fans" be happy with trading up for Lock or Haskins? Or Murray? If we make this investment for the purpose of just simply doing it, then "the fans" are pissed off in a year or two when we potentially end up with Paxton Lynch 2.0. Or maybe we get a diamond in the rough. But the gamble isn't really worth it at this point and mostly because we aren't in a rebuild. If we went 3-13, then there would be more propensity to draft a QB. But we didn't. We're still a solid team and if we win 3 more games with better coaching, we're a playoff team. Kind of stuck in that middle ground where it's going to take a stud to make us make a move. Not saying it's the best call...but it is what it is for the moment.

10. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Would you and "the fans" have been happy with Rosen or Allen? Would you or "the fans" be happy with trading up for Lock or Haskins? Or Murray? If we make this investment for the purpose of just simply doing it, then "the fans" are pissed off in a year or two when we potentially end up with Paxton Lynch 2.0. Or maybe we get a diamond in the rough. But the gamble isn't really worth it at this point and mostly because we aren't in a rebuild. If we went 3-13, then there would be more propensity to draft a QB. But we didn't. We're still a solid team and if we win 3 more games with better coaching, we're a playoff team. Kind of stuck in that middle ground where it's going to take a stud to make us make a move. Not saying it's the best call...but it is what it is for the moment.
    Allen probably not, Rosen, yes. I'd be happy with Lock and haskins, not Murray. We need a QB...This just pushing it further down the road crap, it's getting old. The logic of "well...we could end up with another paxton lynch" doesn't fly. You can't find a QB if you keep signing old guys and not trying. Swing for the fences, quit bunting Elway....

12. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Allen probably not, Rosen, yes. I'd be happy with Lock and haskins, not Murray. We need a QB...This just pushing it further down the road crap, it's getting old. The logic of "well...we could end up with another paxton lynch" doesn't fly. You can't find a QB if you keep signing old guys and not trying. Swing for the fences, quit bunting Elway....
    So if they swing for the fence and take Murray you are ok with that?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I still would not want Rosen. Yes we need young quarterback to build for the long term, but with bringing in Flacco they don't have take a guy who doesn't grade out as a number pick in there estimation. I expect to take a quarterback in this draft I just wouldn't bet the farm it will be in the first round or even the second round.

15. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    So if they swing for the fence and take Murray you are ok with that?
    I don't think he's a good prospect at his height, but I would give him a chance. He's not idea because I think someone that short is going to struggle to see his passing lines with taller o-line and d-line.

If he were 2-3 inches taller he'd be my top choice, just not a fan of his height.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I don't think he's a good prospect at his height, but I would give him a chance. He's not idea because I think someone that short is going to struggle to see his passing lines with taller o-line and d-line.

If he were 2-3 inches taller he'd be my top choice, just not a fan of his height.
    How tall were the OL-men @ OK?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    How tall were the OL-men @ OK?
    That's a fair counter since he did have a few taller players at o-line. Like I said, I wouldn't immediately rage against him if he was drafted, I'd give him a shot at starting and proving himself, but I just don't feel comfortable with a guy who looks like he's at tallest 5'8. I know they list him 5'10, but I'll believe it when i see it. Combine will tell the tale.

He's not my ideal choice. He's got the talent, but between height and his questionable ability to read defenses, there are a lot of question marks with him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

That's a fair counter since he did have a few taller players at o-line. Like I said, I wouldn't immediately rage against him if he was drafted, I'd give him a shot at starting and proving himself, but I just don't feel comfortable with a guy who looks like he's at tallest 5'8. I know they list him 5'10, but I'll believe it when i see it. Combine will tell the tale.

He's not my ideal choice. He's got the talent, but between height and his questionable ability to read defenses, there are a lot of question marks with him.
    Not one of them was shorter than 6'3".

That said, I'm fine with taking a flyer in the later rounds. I'm not overly excited by anyone in this draft, and certainly don't want to reach for another QB just because "we need a young stud!!!!!".

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Not one of them was shorter than 6'3".

That said, I'm fine with taking a flyer in the later rounds. I'm not overly excited by anyone in this draft, and certainly don't want to reach for another QB just because "we need a young stud!!!!!".
    I would be absolutely fine with grabbing Murray mid rounds. Talk is he's going to go early first though. I'm not thrilled about that.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information