Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I Hereby Concede That Elway Has Tricked me Into Believing...Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    This is an excellent point.

There is no doubt that NFL games are still won and lost in the trenches to a very high degree. It's rare to find a game in which the defensive line dominated the line of scrimmage and lost, or vice versa. Smashmouth is very much alive and well--but this staff comes from that reality! Kuper, Munchak, Fangio...these guys get the line of scrimmage.

But we just know that the offensive thinking has to evolve...and you don't evolve unless you try new things. That can be scary, but risk-taking by insightful people is a good long term approach...stocks over bonds in the long run.

The team is shaping up on the coaching side as a well-balanced portfolio that is poised to earn outsized returns from possible fresh thinking or innovation. Who knows if this new OC is a scrub or pocket genius. Either way, I agree: I like Elway's boldness.
    Agreed and all hail Munchak! He's the pivot point for our offense having the foundation that allows the Gorilla to work his new Voodoo (hopefully). Fangio is all about the LBs though...and the Dline. You can't be a master LB coach without understanding the Dline. Fangio is also a guy that lives the trenches as a philosophy. At least that's how I think most NFL folk see as defining a 'lifer'. Unless he is the opposite of what everyone in the NFL gives witness to his character, he will be a great HC. I saw his guile in his first interview. He didn't only win it, but he controlled it. I saw that as the first step he had to take to be the 'face' every head coach has to be...while patiently waiting to get away from the cameras to make the actual moves it takes to win.

2. The Following User High Fived Ground Control For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

McKay uses Madden video game formationss to test his players in the classroom. Friggin genius.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    McVay runs a smash mouth line - ask the cowboys.

Poor McVay can’t get any respect on this site.
    My point wasn't to insult him. He really is a badass and a master. He did get handed a great position though, so we'll see how it all turns out. I believe it will turn out well though; He's a bit of a man among children IMO. As far as it goes, I definitely didn't mean to say that he doesn't embrace 'smash mouth' tactics. I was leaning more towards the wierdness that is NFL pundits and personalities touting 'aggressive' offenses and defenses most of the time, while still saying that 'smash mouth' wins games when it really matters. Meaning, they have no clue how simple they sound, since it's all part of almost every down we see in the NFL.

Having said that. I would give more credit to his hiring of Phillips than to his own knowledge of defenses regarding any observation on whether the Rams system is more 'smash mouth' than otherwise. IMO, another reason why he is a master: he knows his limitations and embraces a master on his flank, so he doesn't have to spend time baby sitting his defense. He has strong influence and makes the calls that guide the D but it is definitely Wade Phillipss D. As it should be. He is among the top 5 all time DCs, methinks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

His situation is kind of why I like Foles. The prior coach there may actually be the worst coach in NFL history in regards to QB development. Everyone who he doesn't completely run out of the league gets exponentially better when they move on from him.

McKay is a hell of a coach...but the cupboard wasn't bare.

6. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Today on TheFan, the following was mentioned a couple of times:

"Elway hired his now coach Fangio, and his future coach Scangarello".

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

Could be. Way to early to tell but I would be glad to see it. If the Gorilla grows into the offensive genius that Fangio is on D, then all the better. The best D is a great O, right? I'm just guessing but it seems like the Godfather is the type of guy that would be happy to leave that sort of legacy behind him. Again, because he is inventive enough to counter the most inventive offensive minds in the NFL. Like Sun Tzu, or a chess master; Respect and acknowledgement is given to worthy opponents...and students.

And no poet or author creates any art without the foundation given to them by their predecessors. Continuing this example, there are only a few literary styles/ structures to build a story on in the history of the written word. It is not an insult to note that every new 'genius' of the art is working with derivetives. It is more my intent to insult pundits and the like that blithely swat criticisms of the art of sport that they make their living from. Plus, I admit to being sick of hearing about every different way to say the 'Shanahan'/ 'West Coast' system, in opposition to the 'Beledick' system (or, the "Ron Erhardt-Ray Perkins" system he was lucky enough to be the coach that hired the minds to create). Also, I am human and hate on fools, as needed.

Otherwise, football is f'ing football and there have been huge changes since the forward pass and there are massive nuances involved in the sport but...there are innovators at the higher levels and there are sleepy types. There are only so many differences to be found given any formula that consists of (mostly) 11 men on each side. There are way more mathematical possibilities in 22 variables than the human mind can actually implement within the extremely limited frame that physics, space, and rules allow for. So, we are left with a field, forward or backward, and a whole bunch of sweat and potential that usually end up being a run or a pass of some sort. It really is like chess and any plan or move of note is more worthy than recognition of a particular system, outside of giving props to individual masters. A master move in chess is remembered because of the person that made it but in the NFL, the man that made a good move is given credit for changing the entire game...when that isn't necessarily true, correct? A series of moves is only similar or dissimilar only in relation to the rules of the game that generates them. McVay, Beledick, Reid, etc. are geniuses. They thrive in the game that their peers take as the rule, while they take it as the means to abuse the rule. And play on other's limited understanding of the game and the rule.

The system means crap. 'Spread concepts' and 'smash mouth' are tools that the best in the business laugh at and manipulate, while the pundits and lesser minds dally over their definition and history.
    Last edited by Ground Control; 01-18-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

That thought occurred to me as soon as the hire of Scangarello was complete.

lternative post title: 'Elway is finally acting like a boss level GM'.

Love The Godfather (HC)! We zagged when everyone else zigged, and the fact that 7 of the 8 HCs that made it to the divisional round this year were over 50 proves this sound policy. Etc.

Etc.

Etc.
    OK, I was going to make a long post. Maybe even 3 or 4 paragraphs.

But, I just can't compete man. No way I can top that. That is a seriously impressive lot of words.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I love him, Hawg. With all my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

16. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Poor McVay can’t get any respect on this site.
    We're not gonna give him a hand job like yourself, but he did well last Sat. Saints will bring him back down to Earth on Sunday, but McVay is on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We're not gonna give him a hand job like yourself, but he did well last Sat. Saints will bring him back down to Earth on Sunday, but McVay is on the right track.
    You tell me to be happy and positive and then you style on me like that.

Rams have a good shot at being the Saints. New Orleans' offense isn't showing up. Rams were a slight favorite today by the bettors. When Talib is in the lineup the Rams defense gives up half as many points, Nomad. We traded that guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

You tell me to be happy and positive and then you style on me like that.

Rams have a good shot at being the Saints. New Orleans' offense isn't showing up. Rams were a slight favorite today by the bettors. When Talib is in the lineup the Rams defense gives up half as many points, Nomad. We traded that guy...
    It's more of a 'slow down young fella, in time, McVay will have his time', but I do agree that the Rams will have a shot at being the Saints one day.

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    A lot...
    Somewhere Joel is smiling.
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information