Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Safest Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I don’t think anyone can say that in this day and age. Seriously. Outside of pass rushers and CBs, there are almost no defensive positions worth a 1st round pick anymore. Everything favors the offense. You must have a QB in this day and age. List the MLBs from the 4 Championship teams without looking... you can’t. Even if you could if any of them missed the game would it matter that much? Everyone here can definitely name the QBs and envies those teams for having them.
    Maybe for the most part, but i think White is the exception this year. He has a Luke Kuechly or Ray Lewis type of feel about him. I definitely think he is going to be better than any QB in this draft. My opinion of course.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

I don’t think anyone can say that in this day and age. Seriously. Outside of pass rushers and CBs, there are almost no defensive positions worth a 1st round pick anymore. Everything favors the offense. You must have a QB in this day and age. List the MLBs from the 4 Championship teams without looking... you can’t. Even if you could if any of them missed the game would it matter that much? Everyone here can definitely name the QBs and envies those teams for having them.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I think we just saw an uptick in safeties being valued in the NFL over the past few years. And I think that DT/NT's will have some first round value as well.

I'm in agreement with you regarding the QB pick, though. If we look at a QB and see a real first round talent that we can get, we should. IMO. But...White is such an outlier freak that he is worth a first rounder. If a team could redraft Patrick Willis, he'd be a first rounder. White can have that type of impact, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Back to the question.....what if the Broncos feel one of these first round QBs isn't the answer? We do have the QB whisperer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Back to the question.....what if the Broncos feel one of these first round QBs isn't the answer? We do have the QB whisperer.
    Im fine with passing on a QB in round one. I do think we will need to take one in the 2nd or 3rd but we will also be either making a play in FA or in next years draft.

Then you're either using the QB whisperer to patch up CK for one more year, or someone you scoop up in a trade/FA. Not sure who we'd get there.

Or, as North pointed out, maybe we bag someone in the second or third round.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Guys....we're talking 1st rd. One of these QBs over White. Broncos will draft a QB in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I think we just saw an uptick in safeties being valued in the NFL over the past few years. And I think that DT/NT's will have some first round value as well.

I'm in agreement with you regarding the QB pick, though. If we look at a QB and see a real first round talent that we can get, we should. IMO. But...White is such an outlier freak that he is worth a first rounder. If a team could redraft Patrick Willis, he'd be a first rounder. White can have that type of impact, IMO.
    Agreed. Draft defense heavy early, White in the first, a CB in the second then whatever looks good the rest of the way. CK for one more year.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

If you want to go there, then you don't need a first round QB to win championships.
    True, but it’s much more likely than say, having a first round MLB and no QB. We won a Super Bowl with a 5th round pick (Trevathan) and UDFA (Marshall) at ILB.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Agreed. Draft defense heavy early, White in the first, a CB in the second then whatever looks good the rest of the way. CK for one more year.
    I only want this is they really don't see a QB. Defense is overrated these days. But we might have to do it.

To get to Nomad - Lock had a nice year, he has a lot of talent, and a good showing in the draft process -combine, pro day, that game where they pit the top prospects on each side - could get him there.

If Haskins is there, or if they don't want him, Murray is enticing. Jones is another guy a lot of people are high on.

I won't lie, just the prospect of knowing CK isn't the starter with a rookie QB (at least at some point in time) makes me irrationally want to draft a guy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

True, but it’s much more likely than say, having a first round MLB and no QB. We won a Super Bowl with a 5th round pick (Trevathan) and UDFA (Marshall) at ILB.
    But we also had a huge playmaker in Von. Imagine having a MLB with the same kind of impact.

Trevathan was then paid a lot of money and is doing a great job in Chicago. On a redraft, he's probably a first round player.

This draft we will have more viable options on the pick than last time.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

The way I see it is this, the Broncos will absolutely not be drafting top 10 next year. VJ is gone and Fangio will improve this team. It’s almost a stone cold lead pipe lock. Even though the QB class next year looks better (right now) than this year, there’s little chance we’ll have a shot at any of them. Fromm, Tua, Herbert... yeah right. If we even do, we’ll have to mortgage a whole draft to move up on that risk.

Devin White looks like a great player, but he’s not a generational talent. He’s not Patrick Willis or he’d be mocked to go in the top 5 or 6. He’s not. The earliest I’ve seen him projected is actually to Denver at #10. Most mocks have him later. Just like Nelson last year, he’s a sexy pick, but the value isn’t as high any more.

Sure, Safeties are coming back in vogue right now but that’s to cover TEs. Nobody gives a shit about box Safeties anymore. Maybe Devin White is the next Patrick Willis, but maybe he’s not.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Trevathan was then paid a lot of money and is doing a great job in Chicago. On a redraft, he's probably a first round player.

This draft we will have more viable options on the pick than last time.

You can’t say that. You can’t just look back at any productive player and say, “probably a first round player”. Then every starter in the league would fit that description. That’s silly, dude.

The way I see it is this, the Broncos will absolutely not be drafting top 10 next year. VJ is gone and Fangio will improve this team. It’s almost a stone cold lead pipe lock. Even though the QB class next year looks better (right now) than this year, there’s little chance we’ll have a shot at any of them. From, Tua, Herbert... yeah right. If we even do, we’ll have to mortgage a whole draft to move up on that risk.

Devin White looks like a great player, but he’s not a generational talent. He’s not Patrick Willis or he’d be mocked to go in the top 5 or 6. He’s not. The earliest I’ve seen him projected is actually to Denver at #10. Most mocks have him later. Just like Nelson last year, he’s a sexy pick, but the value isn’t as high any more.

Sure, Safeties are coming back in vogue right now but that’s to cover TEs. Nobody gives a shit about box Safeties anymore. Maybe Devin White is the next Patrick Willis, but maybe he’s not.
    Derwin James covered TEs, did some deep ball coverage, blitzed the QB, run blitzed, etc. Safeties right now are becoming in vogue again because out of that position on defense, arguably more than any else, you can have them be dynamic. That's all I was saying. Or trying to say.

White looks like he could be a Kuechly level player. That guy is one of the best players in the league. This isn't another nice ILB prospect, right? This guy looks like an elite ILB prospect.

Regarding the QB's, we might have to trade up now to get a guy. The Cardinals were in a similar draft spot and they moved up. The Bills moved up, too. My issue isn't moving up as the Eagles, Texans, Rams, Jets, and even the Bears don't seem to be regretting their decision to move up. It's if we CAN move up. This year a lot of teams in front of us don't need a QB, so we might be safe unless teams behind us start making trade. But next year's crop of QB's (I think Lawrence has to play two more seasons?) might be 'so good' that teams won't budge on their picks.

I want to give you a shoutout for noting that next season's crop looks better now. Two drafts ago people loved the class and then all of a sudden Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen et al couldn't play and no one liked them anymore. It's all subjective and speculative.

18. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Maybe for the most part, but i think White is the exception this year. He has a Luke Kuechly or Ray Lewis type of feel about him. I definitely think he is going to be better than any QB in this draft. My opinion of course.

I don’t see it. I saw a great player on a good defense. He’s an excellent chase and tackle guy, but that assumes he’s untouched to the ball carrier. All of his highlights have him untouched (no block to shed) when he gets his big stops. I’m not trying to tear the guy down, but he’s not Roquan Smith or Patrick Willis. I watched most LSU games this year and he’s not. I think the team that drafts him thinking that’s what he is, will be disappointed.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information