Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    My money is firmly on whichever QB the Eagles part with. As far as "not reading anything" Both of them have used the language of "Keenum is our QB for now" that never bodes well... The last time someone was our QB "for now" Elway threw Tebow to the curb. No chance that Elway isn't exploring every option available to get someone else.
    Ok, but that is still speculation. Until Denver actually has "one of the Eagles QB's" thats all it is as of now Keenum is the starter. That was kind of my point.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

My money is firmly on whichever QB the Eagles part with. As far as "not reading anything" Both of them have used the language of "Keenum is our QB for now" that never bodes well... The last time someone was our QB "for now" Elway threw Tebow to the curb. No chance that Elway isn't exploring every option available to get someone else.
    Tebow wasn’t owed $18 million.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Walker actually had a lot of success with us. I don't think saying he got "butthurt" with us is fair. Darrent Williams died in his freaking arms. He was pretty messed up emotionally after that.
    His first season in Denver he had 1,000 yards his second season not so much. No, before Darrent Williams was murdered he came out after a game and said he should be traded because wasn't the focus of the offense anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Tebow wasn’t owed $18 million.
    Sunk cost friend....sunk cost. Can't dwell on what he's making and use that as your decision to stick with him, that's a fallacy.... Elway said with his own mouth to Peter King that Keenum is probably a short term fix. He knows he's gotta find something better. If the Bears focused on Money owed, they would have stuck with whoever the hell the got when they drafted Trubisky, they didn't.

You cannot make decisions based on "oh crap, we owe this guy $18 Mil" when that guy is a terrible freaking QB and very clearly NOT the answer. That's how you dwell in mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    His first season in Denver he had 1,000 yards his second season not so much. No, before Darrent Williams was murdered he came out after a game and said he should be traded because wasn't the focus of the offense anymore.
    I was young when I was here (and not in the Denver area) without twitter and the internet to highlight comments like this, it's possible I may have missed it, but I don't remember any discontent from him when he was here, just that after Darrent died his head was clearly not in the game anymore and we walked away from him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Sunk cost friend....sunk cost. Can't dwell on what he's making and use that as your decision to stick with him, that's a fallacy.... Elway said with his own mouth to Peter King that Keenum is probably a short term fix. He knows he's gotta find something better. If the Bears focused on Money owed, they would have stuck with whoever the hell the got when they drafted Trubisky, they didn't.

You cannot make decisions based on "oh crap, we owe this guy $18 Mil" when that guy is a terrible freaking QB and very clearly NOT the answer. That's how you dwell in mediocrity.
    It’s the reality of the NFL. Dead money destroyed the end of Shanahan’s tenure, and that paled in comparison to the $10 mill dead cap space it takes to cut Keenum. It’s just not going to happen.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

It’s the reality of the NFL. Dead money destroyed the end of Shanahan’s tenure, and that paled in comparison to the $10 mill dead cap space it takes to cut Keenum. It’s just not going to happen.
    We have more than enough cap room to eat it. If Elway trotts Keenum out there ONLY because he owes him mid-tier QB money he deserves to go down with the ship.

$10 million cap hit is a fraction of what we'll have in free space next year. Elway an either decide he wants to be competitive and make the though decisions, or we can have another mediocre year with a mediocre QB. Yes, the right coach and system can limp Keenum along, but if there are better options out there and we don't pursue them over dead money....We deserve the hell that is coming to us.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

How players get released every year who are owed $10 or more?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The salary cap has been steadily growing by 10-12 million a year. It only grew by about 5 million a year when shanny was here. These are different times. It's easier to take a dead money hit now. 10 million is about 5% of the cap. Not a huge deal if that's the only dead money you have.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The salary cap has been steadily growing by 10-12 million a year. It only grew by about 5 million a year when shanny was here. These are different times. It's easier to take a dead money hit now. 10 million is about 5% of the cap. Not a huge deal if that's the only dead money you have.
    It’s not just the cost of Keenum, though. We’re talking about releasing Keenum for $10 or keeping him for $18 and then adding $18-25 for Foles and another $5 or $6 for a first round future quarterback. I don’t see the team spending $31-$40 for quarterbacks when they can spend $24 and stick with Keenum and a rookie for a year.

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Exactly. Right now, before any other moves we have $45 milion. Realistically, Sanders is gone. That's $10m right there. With Sanders and Keenum gone, we've got $66 million of cap room and that is before cap increases which will likely add another $10-12 so we're looking at almost $80 million in cap space. That's enough money to bring in Foles, possibly AB and still have more than enough room to go aggressive in free agency. It's silly to me to think we're just going to ignore other options available at QB because Keenum costs mid-tier QB money.

$10Million is less than $23 QB's in the NFL make....You think we're going to stick with Keenum to keep from eating $10M? That would be dumb if there are more viable options available. Ya'll are making it sound like Keenum is making Manning money, he's not.

It’s not just the cost of Keenum, though. We’re talking about releasing Keenum for $10 or keeping him for $18 and then adding $18-25 for Foles and another $5 or $6 for a first round future quarterback. I don’t see the team spending $31-$40 for quarterbacks when they can spend $24 and stick with Keenum and a rookie for a year.
    Look, bottom line. Elway knows this is his final shot. He's gotta win now. He has already said he picked Fangio to win this year, not 2-3 years down the line. We don't win now with Keenum. You know it, I took awhile to know it, but I sure as hell know it now... So if Elway's going to win now, we need an upgrade at QB, yes it's possible that we draft a QB, but Elway knows he's a miserable failure there. We probably will draft a QB, but he's going to want to hit a home run with a reliable vet. That's not Keenum.

His options are Flacco and Foles. Foles is a Superbowl MVP and played well this season once he finally got in the game. He's made a solid case for himself and he fits what Elway wants to do (college style spread/RPO offense). Foles fits our current modus operandi, Keenum does not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Exactly. Right now, before any other moves we have $45 milion. Realistically, Sanders is gone. That's $10m right there. With Sanders and Keenum gone, we've got $66 million of cap room and that is before cap increases which will likely add another $10-12 so we're looking at almost $80 million in cap space. That's enough money to bring in Foles, possibly AB and still have more than enough room to go aggressive in free agency. It's silly to me to think we're just going to ignore other options available at QB because Keenum costs mid-tier QB money.

$10Million is less than $23 QB's in the NFL make....You think we're going to stick with Keenum to keep from eating $10M? That would be dumb if there are more viable options available. Ya'll are making it sound like Keenum is making Manning money, he's not.
    It's not just $10 million dollar cap hit as MO pointed out.

Btw here is what Elway said recently:

“Obviously, we’ve got to—Case [Keenum] is probably a short-term fix—find the long-term guy for us. When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot."
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co.../?cid=pftstory

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

This is elways final shot?

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    This is elways final shot?
    It has that feel honestly. I have nothing to base that off of other than my gut, but if Elway fails again, there is no way the Bowlen family isn't going to fight tooth and nail to gain control over the team and the longer the team is mismanaged the worse the Trust (and thus Elway's) case becomes.

This season feels like the season we went after Manning. My person opinion (and again, this is just speculation on my part) is that Ellis has been meddling in Elway's affairs the last few years. It feels like Elway's finally back, he's making smarter decisions and I feel like he's going to be aggressive in his approach this season.

We'll see what happens, but I feel like Elway's not going to sit on his haunches for another year of mediocrity. Every thing he's said and done this offseason says he's in it to win it right now.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information