Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Argument for a Rookie QB

Default The Argument for a Rookie QB

This argument will have a couple of assumptions, so do take stock of that.

One - a QB will be there for us to get. This could mean a trade up, which isn't out of the question or scary as recent history shows us it's quite common: Wentz, Goff, Watson, etc.

This assumes Fangio and Elway are both on board, obviously.

This does not technically presume that the QB is a first rounder, although that almost feels like a given. QBs are so desired that guys get taken in the first round who should be second rounders. Etc. Etc. Etc. We all know the drill.

But why a QB? Some argue that it is a way to strengthen the team for the future. I have been beating those drums forever and a day. Still, another consideration is that it might help us win...now. Why? Well, look at the other option, first. FA QB's are few and far between. No one is really stoked for Keenum anymore, for instance. Cousins put up another great season statistically, and I think he's still a fine QB, but missing the playoffs altogether seems...wrong. In short, it's hard to nail it down with the QB for the team.

But, we have seen teams draft a young QB and do well in the standings. Seattle with Wilson, Ben with the Steelers, Flacco with the Ravens, Watson with the Texans, etc. The point is that each situation was a little different, but in all of those instances, a great defense, or a defense becoming great, was there. And this is where the rookie QB truly shines.

Why? Because that rookie contract....girls and boys...that's what dreams are made off. If your rookie QB is good, whether that means good for the situation, good compared to other rookies, or just having a flat out good season as a QB, you are getting insane value. QB costs are massive. Not to pick on Keenum, but even his average salary, for a QB, takes up a chunk of the cap.

So, if you get a QB to overperform, even if it means smoke and mirrors from a coordinator, a great defense putting them in a situation to succeed, and a running/short passing game that keeps the QB on schedule, you can do well. This leads us to a hidden presumption: we all feel pretty good about expecting Fangio, a defensive genius to shape the defense up a bit and smooth out the edges. Yeah, we have some questions in the secondary, but this team tends to find secondary players, especially corners pretty well. It's a gamble to say "oh we'll be good next year on D," but not all gambles are dire. It's the rest of the team.

The offensive line was average - people will dispute that, argue against it, and I get it. It wasn't pretty. But you have to compare the line to other lines this season. Not what good line play used to look like - the college game doesn't develop OL very well anymore. It's an uphill battle. The WR corp looks promising, but it's young. And unproven. Sanders' injury, one which has really taken a toll out of athletes in the past, is worrisome. There are no tight ends, either. The offense is the biggest issue on the team.

Yet, the line has improved, we will have a good coach there in Munchak, assuming we can hire him. There's hope there, and maybe just maybe you sign a veteran WR/TE as a solid stopgap. Not everything needs to be drafted.

But, the real argument isn't even that the QB builds out into the future. Nor is it that a young QB can be cheaper and better alternative to veteran retreads in the short term...it's that it can do both. And if the rest of the roster does struggle to fit together during the early years, the QB develops and we have more chances in more FA periods/drafts to fix the roster.

I think drafting a QB is the smart play. If Denver thinks a guy is worth taking, get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Can someone tl;dr this?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I cant read all that Joel but thanks man
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I like Haskins and Lock. Lock seems like he could be there when we draft while Haskins will probably need to be traded up for. Of course this will change greatly by draft time. I remember this time last year it looked like we could trade down or back into the middle/late 1st round and pick Mayfield. .

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I like Haskins and Lock. Lock seems like he could be there when we draft while Haskins will probably need to be traded up for. Of course this will change greatly by draft time. I remember this time last year it looked like we could trade down or back into the middle/late 1st round and pick Mayfield. .
    QB's are wild, man.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The Jags or Giants will take Haskins and most likely Lock as well so im actually quite fine taking a guy like Devin White with the first pick. In fact, im becoming more and more comfortable with that since i know we will have Keenum for at least one more year. There are some QB's in the draft that we can nab in the later rounds if we just want to throw shit at the fan and take a chance if need be. Next year is where we will probably make our play for top tier QB in the draft unless they trade for another vet or young QB before that happens.

10. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

If they don't get Lock or someone who can be legit better i will be so upset
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

12. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    The Jags or Giants will take Haskins and most likely Lock as well so im actually quite fine taking a guy like Devin White with the first pick. In fact, im becoming more and more comfortable with that since i know we will have Keenum for at least one more year. There are some QB's in the draft that we can nab in the later rounds if we just want to throw shit at the fan and take a chance if need be. Next year is where we will probably make our play for top tier QB in the draft unless they trade for another vet or young QB before that happens.
    If we do have to wait another year we better move heaven and earth for the top guy.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    If we do have to wait another year we better move heaven and earth for the top guy.
    Remember when we drafted a tackle in the worst tackle draft in years? This draft scares me at 10. If we can get haskins or jones there im cool.

16. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Remember when we drafted a tackle in the worst tackle draft in years? This draft scares me at 10. If we can get haskins or jones there im cool.
    Take the legit talent and role with it. if the legit talent fills the need, drop your pant, sweet talk them, and get the talent!

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I did not read your post because I am lazy and I don't believe an argument is needed because the reality is obvious.

Haskins or Lock or we waste another year of talent with which we should be making playoff runs.

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I did not read your post because I am lazy and I don't believe an argument is needed because the reality is obvious.

Haskins or Lock or we waste another year of talent with which we should be making playoff runs.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Gut instinct > Logic and reason

21. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Gut instinct > Logic and reason
    The point was to be persuasive and try to convince people in a one shot post.

This place is but a factory of sadness and my soul is the god damned market!

23. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

The point was to be persuasive and try to convince people in a one shot post.

This place is but a factory of sadness and my soul is the god damned market!
    I didn't need to be convinced.

Anybody who needs convincing isn't worth convincing.

We ride with Haskins!

25. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information