Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit media likes a Von for Stafford trade

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Stafford not a winner. He is the NFC version of Philip Rivers. Hard pass.
    Wait. You wouldn’t take Phillip Rivers?

You'd be swapping strength for strength. I guess maybe Chubb could take over but then you're not in possession of another pass rusher. Both Ray and Barrett are gone, most likely.

It wouldn't do much other than MAYBE make Denver a WC contender.

If we are trading Von, we better be getting first round picks out of it. Trading Von = rebuild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    You'd be swapping strength for strength. I guess maybe Chubb could take over but then you're not in possession of another pass rusher. Both Ray and Barrett are gone, most likely.

It wouldn't do much other than MAYBE make Denver a WC contender.

If we are trading Von, we better be getting first round picks out of it. Trading Von = rebuild.
    Then use that pick to get a shitty QB. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Then use that pick to get a shitty QB. Awesome.
    That's assuming a conclusion.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Trading Von would be a bad idea and I really don’t support it, but Stafford would be a nice get and no matter what anyone thinks, he’s a more important piece than Von. He is an elite passer. He’s played on a sorry team with no running game and no real defense for a long time. He would make our offense much better. Stafford is a top talent who’s been wasting it in Detroit.

Trading Von does create a hole, but we’re could re-sign Barrett to play opposite of Chubb and have some money to spend in FA. We’d still have the #10 overall pick to use on a guy like Devin White an the QB problem would be solved for another 5-6 years with no rookie development and no risk of busting like a draft pick. It’s an interesting thought.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 01-12-2019 at 03:59 PM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

You're trading an all-pro defensive player for a pro bowl QB. I don't know, man. If we did it it just would seem like we're trying to cut corners.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

You're trading an all-pro defensive player for a pro bowl QB. I don't know, man. If we did it it just would seem like we're trying to cut corners.
    We agree, friend.

9. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Oh I know, and I hate the idea of losing Von, but that’s the big kicker. Does Detroit become a better team with Von and without Stafford? I doubt it. Do we become a better team with Stafford, even without Von? Undoubtedly.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Oh I know, and I hate the idea of losing Von, but that’s the big kicker. Does Detroit become a better team with Von and without Stafford? I doubt it. Do we become a better team with Stafford, even without Von? Undoubtedly.
    We do in theory. But if you're trading Von you want to hit on the picks that you should be getting so you get a QB for 10-15 years, and not 3-5 like Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We agree, friend.
    When we draft Haskins this will all be behind us. I believe.

13. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

When we draft Haskins this will all be behind us. I believe.
    We'll get our QB.....for the defense.....Devin White. We all know Elway loves Herbert. It'll be next year....you'll get your QB.

15. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We'll get our QB.....for the defense.....Devin White. We all know Elway loves Herbert. It'll be next year....you'll get your QB.
    Who knows if Herbert is good again? Locker looked like the top pick, regressed in his last college year, and then tanked in the NFL.

If there's a guy we think is legitimate, next year's class is irrelevant. We might take White, since we have a HC who values the position, and I'd be happy. But if they had a round one grade on a QB they can get, and they don't, they've failed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Who knows if Herbert is good again? Locker looked like the top pick, regressed in his last college year, and then tanked in the NFL.

If there's a guy we think is legitimate, next year's class is irrelevant. We might take White, since we have a HC who values the position, and I'd be happy. But if they had a round one grade on a QB they can get, and they don't, they've failed.
    A lot of QBs look good in college, and tank in the NFL. No different for Haskins, Lock, or Jones having the same possibility. White would be a for sure pick, then again, I see many mocks having the Lions taking White. Poor guy to be on such a lousy team.

18. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

We do in theory. But if you're trading Von you want to hit on the picks that you should be getting so you get a QB for 10-15 years, and not 3-5 like Stafford.
    Maybe, but 5-6 years of Stafford would be more beneficial than 3-4 of Von, IMO. Picks themselves are a crapshoot. No draft pick is guaranteed. Von has what, 3 years left on his contract? So a max of 3 years he’ll still be a Bronco. We won’t sign him to a big contract at 33-34 years old. He’ll start getting year to year deals like Ware did at that point and it won’t be from us because his money will go to Chubb’s second contract.

Make no mistake, I love Von and want him to retire as a Bronco, but a franchise QB is, in fact, more important. I think we’re at a crossroads. If we’re lucky, we can draft a franchise QB and restore this franchise to greatness with the new coaches we’re hiring and a new outlook. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we’re gonna have to find our future QB in another way.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Maybe, but 5-6 years of Stafford would be more beneficial than 3-4 of Von, IMO. Picks themselves are a crapshoot. No draft pick is guaranteed. Von has what, 3 years left on his contract? So a max of 3 years he’ll still be a Bronco. We won’t sign him to a big contract at 33-34 years old. He’ll start getting year to year deals like Ware did at that point and it won’t be from us because his money will go to Chubb’s second contract.

Make no mistake, I love Von and want him to retire as a Bronco, but a franchise QB is, in fact, more important. I think we’re at a crossroads. If we’re lucky, we can draft a franchise QB and restore this franchise to greatness with the new coaches we’re hiring and a new outlook. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we’re gonna have to find our future QB in another way.
    This is a quality post, HP. I'll take it under consideration. Because your point has merit.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information