Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Envisioning Kubiak as Offensive Coordinator

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Default Envisioning Kubiak as Offensive Coordinator

As much as I'm reluctant to admit it sometimes I can be carried along with the general flow of thought in a community. So I will admit much apprehension even at the notion that Kubiak would be the current offensive coordinator given the failures of that offense at the end of his tenure. That said as I sit here this morning having coffee overlooking Tampa Bay oh, a few things come to mind.

First off Kubiak has always been supremely successful as an offensive coordinator. That is undebatable. The last real Vision that we have of him coordinating an offense was with the Ravens. A season in which as mentioned before Joe Flacco had the best of his career. And an unknown running back became a pro bowler. That unit was balanced, unpredictable, dominating at times, explosive when needed, and able to control the clock at will.

I think the apprehension that we all have at this point is related to the two years with Manning. On a perceived ineffectiveness on Kubiak's part. More so even an inability on his part to someho generate cohesiveness with the great Peyton Manning. I find it funny that we're willing to overstate all of Gary's deficiencies in that relationship and yet in a vacuum will mention that Peyton's physical abilities had deteriorated immensely, and understate all the deficiencies in the context of that relationship. As well as roster deficiencies.

My second thought was regarding the 2005 13- 3 Broncos. People talk about Shanahan helping Plummer reinvent himself. I would like to submit that given the problems that Shanahan and Plummer had at a personal level and plummer's regression after Kubiak left that most of the growth that we saw with Jake Plummer was as a direct result of his relationship with Kubiak, Kubiak ability to tutor and Mentor him effectively, and a scheme that played to all of Plummer's strengths. It's no wonder that he failed under Heimerdinger when all of the boot action all of the pocket movement that had made him so effective in the previous season was removed from the offense after Kubiak left for Houston.

I'd also like to submit that if that team had had more than Al Wilson who masked deficiencies at every level of the defense, then they could have beaten the Steelers. And potentially beaten the Seahawks in Super Bowl. That's a lot of would have could have should have. But even with our deficiencies in the secondary which I think were greatly overstated as a result of Joe Woods ineptitude, this roster is much more talented then the team in 2005.

I think with Plummer and Keenum we can see a direct correlation. Both are plus athletes obviously Jake was more so a plus athlete. But if you look at what case did effectively in Minnesota last year, it was when Schirmer moved the pocket for him. When they allowed him to play outside the pocket he was at his best. Do I view him as the long-term franchise quarterback solution? Probably not. But I do think that given his usual ability to protect the football combined with a more creative Gary Kubiak and understated offensive weapons could provide a huge shot in the arm for the team next year.

Add to that that we have a legit defensive Mastermind taking over as head coach and I think that there is huge potential for this team to make a big leap next year.

Lastly there's this trend of thought that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and yet in our own Division I see Andy Reid redefining himself and redefining what we thought of it as the West Coast offense. There's been a huge skepticism that because somehow Elway had obsessed with college spread Concepts but now that we have Kubiak as offensive coordinator that all of that interest has just been thrown by the wayside. Do we think that someone as intelligent and humble as Gary Kubiak couldn't bring himself to reinvent or expand upon the offensive framework that he's worked with for his entire career just like Doug Pederson and just like Andy Reid have done? I don't see that in Gary Kubiak. I see a guy that has always gotten the most out of the people that played for him when he was an offensive coordinator. I see a guy who took 2 years off and regained some juice and remembered his first love was always as a coordinator. So as I always do at this time of the year I admit but when it comes to my Broncos after initial gut reactions I'm typically inordinately optimistic. But I do think that there's something to this idea that Elway and Kubiak have both taken from what they've seen in the league and what they've seen in college over the past few years and are willing to try and combine that and some sort of mad potion with the Evil Genius that is Vic fangio
    Last edited by Jsteve01; 01-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Oh and all the krap about klint and nepotism is just silly. See Wade and Kyle and Rex and Elway and then tell me kids cant learn from pops

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Oh and all the krap about klint and nepotism is just silly. See Wade and Kyle and Rex and Elway and then tell me kids cant learn from pops
    See: Kyle Shanahan

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I just blew it off. Bitching about nepotism while wanting Wade Philips and Kyle Shanahan whose starts were because of their dads is inconsistent.

8. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I think Kubiak can do much more for keenum then what we saw this year.

Excited to see Lindsey and Freeman in Kubiak system

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I can def see Kubes trying to make Case Plummer-esque which would be a massive improvement and the dedication to the run game with all the excellent Backs.

I am very optimistic about next season but will they be all in with Case trying to up his game or will Elwy try to get Flacco
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    I think Kubiak can do much more for keenum then what we saw this year.

Excited to see Lindsey and Freeman in Kubiak system
    I think we will see a little more time share under Kubs.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Great, well-reasoned post. Would read again
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

"As much as I'm reluctant to admit it sometimes I can be carried along with the general flow of thought in a community. So I will admit much apprehension even at the notion that Kubiak would be the current offensive coordinator given the failures of that offense at the end of his tenure."
    I would have stopped this post right there. I remember the Kubiak offense in 2015-16 and it wasn't pretty. I suppose there's a possibility that something major will change and the season could turn out great, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

2015 - Broken down Manning

2016 - Trevor Simien

A terrible OLine

They won a Championship and had a winning record the following year

Whats the problem?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    2015 - Broken down Manning

2016 - Trevor Simien

A terrible OLine

They won a Championship and had a winning record the following year

Whats the problem?
    When he was hired all I heard was "oh he is going to fix the line and get us a running game!" The team won with little help from his side of the ball.

Then it was "Oh, he likes TS a lot he's going to coach him up," and the team won on the back of the defense.

What exactly did he contribute as a head coach? He was pretty much a nothing burger at least when it came to the offense. Are we going to ignore how 'great' his playcalling here was, too?

Now before the homers get all pissy, calm the hell down. It was a point that needed to be made.

I personally, am going to take the Davii approach. The Davii approach is that Elway is interested in college offensive scheme integration. What that precisely means, who knows, but with the incorporation of that around the league, it's a good sign JE has taken notice of it. The Davii approach is that hopefully Kubiak has as well because it's what is expected next season. So, we might get something fresh from Kubiak. I am hoping that Kubiak will have a little bit of a renaissance. The talent as a coach is there - he needs to shake it up. We can appreciate him without these half-supported arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    When he was hired all I heard was "oh he is going to fix the line and get us a running game!" The team won with little help from his side of the ball.

Then it was "Oh, he likes TS a lot he's going to coach him up," and the team won on the back of the defense.

What exactly did he contribute as a head coach? He was pretty much a nothing burger at least when it came to the offense. Are we going to ignore how 'great' his playcalling here was, too?

Now before the homers get all pissy, calm the hell down. It was a point that needed to be made.

I personally, am going to take the Davii approach. The Davii approach is that Elway is interested in college offensive scheme integration. What that precisely means, who knows, but with the incorporation of that around the league, it's a good sign JE has taken notice of it. The Davii approach is that hopefully Kubiak has as well because it's what is expected next season. So, we might get something fresh from Kubiak. I am hoping that Kubiak will have a little bit of a renaissance. The talent as a coach is there - he needs to shake it up. We can appreciate him without these half-supported arguments.
    Not just Davii there King! I’ll have to return the Arby’s Meatsweats and stack of VIP cards I had For ya if this oversight continues.

18. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Pretty entitled for a bengals fan.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Pretty entitled for a bengals fan.
    We're all entitled to history, Mr. Wellington.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    We're all entitled to history, Mr. Wellington.
    Please list your perfect hire with OC’s. Names. Go.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information