Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the Draft We Take a QB

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I’m intrigued by Jones. I think most of us know what we get with Haskins or Murray or even Lock, but the fact that Jones is a Cutcliffe disciple means (to me) that he’s intelligent and can read a defense.

Haskins and Murray scare me as potential system guys. I don’t know enough about Murray to know if he’s like Mayfield based on only 1 year. Mayfield had a history of leadership and busting his ass to first win and then keep his job. I don’t know Murray’s football smarts or work ethic.

As for Haskins, I don’t trust Ohio State QBs from the Urban Meyer system. They all look good in college. Also, he was only a one year starter. I worry guys like that who have one awesome year don’t know how to fail. How will guys like that react to bad play in the NFL? Do they work harder or go into the tank and end up busting?

Lock has all the physical traits, but he seems like a guy that will need a lot of coaching to fix bad habits (trusts his arm too much, throws off his back foot too much, footwork leading to accuracy issues).

I know really nothing about Grier so I don’t have any feelings about him.

I’m looking forward to the process this year - Senior Bowl, combine, pro days, etc. I hope we can find our guy. Most importantly, I hope if we do that we’re not scared to do what is necessary to get him.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

How talented is he?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    How talented is he?
    very and coached by cutliff

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Arm strength, frame, mobility, accuracy, intermediate passing, playmaking?

Give me the goods, Steve!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Jones's completion% isn't quite the stuff of legends either.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Jones's completion% isn't quite the stuff of legends either.
    True, and that could be a red flag, or that he plays for a basketball school where their football team is almost an afterthought. Duke is a smart kids’ school in a basketball town. He wasn’t throwing to guys likely to be drafted or being protected by them, either. Unlike Murray, Haskins, Tua, Lawrence, etc.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Arm strength, frame, mobility, accuracy, intermediate passing, playmaking?

Give me the goods, Steve!
    Above average arm but not a laser. Excellent in the intermediate game. Athletically think Cutler or Aaron Rodgers definitely above avg in that regard. Id expect him to run in the 4.7 range.

Thank you Steve.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I’m intrigued by Jones. I think most of us know what we get with Haskins or Murray or even Lock, but the fact that Jones is a Cutcliffe disciple means (to me) that he’s intelligent and can read a defense.

Haskins and Murray scare me as potential system guys. I don’t know enough about Murray to know if he’s like Mayfield based on only 1 year. Mayfield had a history of leadership and busting his ass to first win and then keep his job. I don’t know Murray’s football smarts or work ethic.

As for Haskins, I don’t trust Ohio State QBs from the Urban Meyer system. They all look good in college. Also, he was only a one year starter. I worry guys like that who have one awesome year don’t know how to fail. How will guys like that react to bad play in the NFL? Do they work harder or go into the tank and end up busting?

Lock has all the physical traits, but he seems like a guy that will need a lot of coaching to fix bad habits (trusts his arm too much, throws off his back foot too much, footwork leading to accuracy issues).

I’m looking forward to the process this year - Senior Bowl, combine, pro days, etc. I hope we can find our guy. Most importantly, I hope if we do that we’re not scared to do what is necessary to get him.
    I like Jones too because he can read a defense. Many of the QB’s coming out of college just can’t do that anymore. It was mentioned in a tweet by either Les Shapiro or Troy Renck that Elway evaluates QB’s moreso on physical attributes, but not enough emphasis on intelligence, desire, leadership and love for the game.

Hopefully Elway has learned that arm strength and athleticism are only part of the evaluation process. Jones or Lock would be my choice if I were Elway.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.

11. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

I like Jones too because he can read a defense. Many of the QB’s coming out of college just can’t do that anymore. It was mentioned in a tweet by either Les Shapiro or Troy Renck that Elway evaluates QB’s moreso on physical attributes, but not enough emphasis on intelligence, desire, leadership and love for the game.

Hopefully Elway has learned that arm strength and athleticism are or part of the evaluation process. Jones or Lock would be my choice if I were Elway.
    I think the Keenum signing indicates that he has trended towards leadership and Moxie. Now if we can just find the happy medium where a guy actually has the physical tools to perform the job that would be great.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

CK has been good with real coaching and bad with poor coaching. Hopefully we've already improved our QB situation with the coach hirings alone

14. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    CK has been good with real coaching and bad with poor coaching. Hopefully we've already improved our QB situation with the coach hirings alone
    He had one good season with a loaded roster. His best season in the NFL translated into above average season/game manager. Him doing well for one season, isn't much of a consideration. One, because it's not likely and two he's still not a long term answer. Running him out there for .500 ball or wild card contention isn't as good as drafting a QB and getting the ball moving on that guy's development. Yes, this assumes there's a first round grade on a guy we like, but if we don't take one we're gambling there's one next year we like and can get with a trade up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Interesting...given it's the same roster in Minnesota that just missed the playoffs with a superior QB.

Again...does well when coached.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

I think the Keenum signing indicates that he has trended towards leadership and Moxie. Now if we can just find the happy medium where a guy actually has the physical tools to perform the job that would be great.
    That would be Kyler Murray. I expect polarizing reviews just like with Baker, where some people have him as a top 5 pick, and others have him as a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Im not sure about Jones as he has had some very bad games but agree with all of your other points regarding Haskins and Murray. I just think they are a product of those college giants so im hesitant to want Denver to draft them. At this point im becoming more and more comfortable with hopefully going defense with the 10th pick at this point.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information