Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: John Elway tried to hire Mike Shanahan; Joe Ellis blocked it!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I think you have that sorted wrong.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    The stat you are posting from ESPN is for yards allowed only. It doesnt take in how stingy Denver has been with points scored against them. For instance, the Broncos gave up a lot of yds to Pittsburgh but did a good job of keeping them out of the endzone.
    I edited that post to reflect points allowed.

Broncos 299
    Vikings 308

9 points is completely irrelevant over 14 games.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default How Mike Shanahan and John Elway agreed on a deal, before Joe Ellis vetoed the decision

On Sunday night, Woody Paige dropped a bombshell with his report on how John Elway nearly tried to hire Mike Shanahan to replace Vance Joseph last winter.

According to the report, Elway was interested in bringing back his former head coach to return to the same role, but Denver Broncos team President Joe Ellis wanted the organization to conduct a thorough review of multiple candidates if they were going to make a change. In the end, Elway decided to bring back Joseph for a second season, which has left much of the Broncos’ fanbase feeling confused.

On Monday afternoon, Les Shapiro of Mile High Sports FM 104.7 | AM 1340, explained that the complicated relationship between Elway, Ellis and Shanahan actually dates back nearly two decades.

Following an illustrious 16-year playing career, Elway wanted to join the organization in a business role and begin learning more about the functions of the team’s salary cap in 2000. Ellis, who was in charge of the team’s new stadium at the time, felt like Elway was intruding on some of his responsibilities and was reluctant to bring him on staff.
    rest - https://milehighsports.com/how-mike-...-the-decision/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

5. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I’m confident we’d make the playoffs this year if we had Shanny and Cousins. That would be a better situation than we’re currently in. That would be more than enough of a reason to me.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’m confident we’d make the playoffs this year if we had Shanny and Cousins. That would be a better situation than we’re currently in. That would be more than enough of a reason to me.
    Agreed.

The fact Elway wants to go back in time so much kind of scares me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Cousin’s Vikings haven’t beatenna team with a winning record all season. I like him better than Keenum but that’s not saying much.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

**** Ellis. Tired of his schtick.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

So much for Ellis job to do what's best for the Broncos. He's acting in the best interests of his own personal vendettas. Perhaps there is reasoning behind Pat's brother suing the trust for not looking out for the best of the franchise. Outside of the fight between the kids. Also, he's not looking out for the best for the Broncos if he thinks the NFL will hold out 11 years until Brittany hits 40. He knows That if Beth takes over, He's gone. Once again looking out for his own interests, not the franchise.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    So much for Ellis job to do what's best for the Broncos. He's acting in the best interests of his own personal vendettas. Perhaps there is reasoning behind Pat's brother suing the trust for not looking out for the best of the franchise. Outside of the fight between the kids. Also, he's not looking out for the best for the Broncos if he thinks the NFL will hold out 11 years until Brittany hits 40. He knows That if Beth takes over, He's gone. Once again looking out for his own interests, not the franchise.
    Hey GEM, at lot of this is before my time. So, I just want to ask a question. Is it possible, in your opinion, that Ellis blocked the hire because he thought it was a bad move to go back to Shanahan? Is it possible that this is the right logical decision? If yes to either of those questions, do you think it is possible, also, that Ellis also blocked the hire for selfish reasons, too?
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Hey GEM, at lot of this is before my time. So, I just want to ask a question. Is it possible, in your opinion, that Ellis blocked the hire because he thought it was a bad move to go back to Shanahan? Is it possible that this is the right logical decision? If yes to either of those questions, do you think it is possible, also, that Ellis also blocked the hire for selfish reasons, too?
    How about the fact Ellis blocked Elway getting hired two decades ago because he felt threatened. Or is all that immaterial to you? He hired McD to be his puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I think there is some bad blood with Ellis who was Bowlen's right hand guy during those years that is far outweighing any coaching hire he'd be able to make. No one wants to come here. The qb sucks balls, there's no real qb of the future even on the roster, we're picking too low to do any real damage and shit prospects on the horizon. On top of it, the coaching choices on the market now are has beens and we've had shit luck with young up and comers which will make Elway a bit more gun shy to go there again. So I'd rather have the has been that we know can do things and at least bring some stability back. I think if we could get Kubes back at OC, we could manage at least putting a winning season together until we have a qb prospect.

I also think Ellis a power hungry schmuck who is looking out for his own best interests.

20. The Following 5 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default The Broncos haven’t named Pat Bowlen’s successor yet. But there is a blueprint to select the next owner.

from an article, which is very interesting -

According to multiple NFL sources, the three trustees sent Bowlen’s children and wife Annabel a lengthy blueprint in February 2015 that included a list of requisites, in addition to a shortlist of responsibilities, for whomever will be the next controlling owner. The trustees informed Bowlen’s family that the bulleted items did not constitute a checklist and, if met, would not guarantee one would become controlling owner/CEO. The trustees would retain control, and any change in that structure would be at their discretion and require the approval of the league and 31 other NFL team owners.

That list includes multiple subjective items, such as leadership and integrity and sound judgment. But it also includes more specific requirements, such as bachelor’s degree, paired with an MBA, J.D. or other advanced business-related degree. It also mandates at least five years of senior management experience with the league, team or Stadium Management Company, the group that operates the Broncos’ soon-to-be-renamed stadium. It does not, however, specify which job titles are considered senior management.
    rest, I did not see anything about needing to be at least 40 before taking over the team. Wonder if that is what Ellis wants, rather than what Mr. B stated?

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/1...rolling-owner/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

This team has the potential to really implode, all because of Joe Ellis. What happens if Elway walks away or gets fired. We want Joe 'I think McDaniels is a good idea' Ellis making all the football decisions? He has stolen an NFL franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I think there is some bad blood with Ellis who was Bowlen's right hand guy during those years that is far outweighing any coaching hire he'd be able to make. No one wants to come here. The qb sucks balls, there's no real qb of the future even on the roster, we're picking too low to do any real damage and shit prospects on the horizon. On top of it, the coaching choices on the market now are has beens and we've had shit luck with young up and comers which will make Elway a bit more gun shy to go there again. So I'd rather have the has been that we know can do things and at least bring some stability back. I think if we could get Kubes back at OC, we could manage at least putting a winning season together until we have a qb prospect.

I also think Ellis a power hungry schmuck who is looking out for his own best interests.
    Thank you GEM. I appreciate it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information