Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: John Elway tried to hire Mike Shanahan; Joe Ellis blocked it!

I mean, it literally means you keep going forward and not backwards, and the rehire of the person in question is going backwards. Yeah man, an ancient Reeves would definitely work out.

If you want to be obtuse, and a jerk for the sake of it, go ahead. Rehiring Shanahan is actually the opposite of the success mentality we used when we hired him.

Oh, if you think I'm being cryptic, let me be blunt: hiring retreads isn't being innovative. Shanahan WAS innovative. It was bold to hire him. Now you're essentially admitting you have no fresh ideas, and are hoping against hope there's magic left in the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Not that I want Shanatan back but Joe Bush needs to stay in his ******* lane, he’s here to run shit into the ground ... that’s what they do best. Let the football people do the football shit.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

The reason to hire Shanahan is simple:

If you think this team is basically a playoff team (but not a SB team) but they are underachieving because VJ is such a bad and inexperienced coach, then Shanahan will come in and coach them up and get them to the playoffs.

If you think the team is basically bad, with bad coaching on top, then Shanahan will come in and rebuild, he brings stability and credibility. The players will respect him, he has the locker-room, players always loved playing for Mike. He even managed to get something useful out of Jay Cutler! In fact I maintain that if Shanahan had stayed, Cutler would have continued to develop - not into a SB star, but at least better than what his career became after he left Denver.

Nobody sensible ever doubted he could coach. He was undone by his idiot drafting and player personnel moves that backfired (like Daryl Gardner and Dale Carter). And all he'd be doing here is coaching. Elway is not giving up control over draft and FA acquisitions.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

We could have had Cousins. Good grief.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    We live in a cruel world.

7. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
    Then the smart hire would have been Kyle. Why we have VJ coaching this team I will never understand. Actually, I wanted Kyle/Wade. Got neither. Still hoped for the best, doesn't work.

It is incredibly hard to go to, let alone win a SB. Some longtime Franchises have never been, or never won. I don't think there is some magic formula for finding 'the guy to catch lightning'. Bellichek sucked as a coach once upon a time. Now he is probably up there with Lombardi.

If Shanahan has the desire to do it, I have no doubt he is capable of leading a team to another Championship. Sometimes the stars just have to align, like they did in gag New England. Finding a coach is a whole lot easier than finding a QB though. We don't have one. Which combined with a lousy coaching staff was never going to get us to a winning season.
    Yeah, if we were talking about Shanny Jr. here I would be jizzing my pants. Picking VJ over him was such a colossal mistake.

Like I said, I think Shanny will find success if he comes here, but I don't think it will be SB success. I would be fine and somewhat excited about the hire, but wary considering how unlikely he is to repeat the successes of the past. If the FO wants to go get an old vet i'm down with Shanny.

9. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

He hasn’t impressed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    He’s been better than Keenum.

12. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    He's performed very well. His production is strong. He's not riding coattails.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He's performed very well. His production is strong. He's not riding coattails.
    Your use of MO's old avatar is confusing me. As soon as I see it, I expect to read stuff that I'd expect from him, but you're definitely not MO.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Your use of MO's old avatar is confusing me. As soon as I see it, I expect to read stuff that I'd expect from him, but you're definitely not MO.
    This is in tribute to Mo.

17. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

I'm not surprised by this at all. Ellis is and has always been a rat, I have always felt it was his call to get rid of Shanny after they wanted to fire Slowik who was great friends with Shanny and he refused spurning Ellis in the process. This reeks of a personnel vendetta from Ellis still to this day.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Nostalgia doesn’t win games.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Not 84 million guaranteed better. Not even close.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

And its not even close.

23. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information