Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76

Thread: Thanks Derek Wolfe.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Rock of Eternity
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad Kelly
    Posts
    10,862

    Default Thanks Derek Wolfe.

    Looks like Wolfe will not be back in 2019. Thanks for all the solid years. No way he is bought back after these comments.

    “I thought we were going to have a quarterback. I thought we were going to keep a lot of the guys on the defense. That’s why I took that haircut. A huge haircut, because I wanted to stay here and be a part of the best defense to play it. I didn’t know that Wade was going to end up leaving. I thought I was going to have Wade for a while. Nothing against Joe Woods, I was just really comfortable with where I was at. Then everything changed.”

    https://mobile.twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1062410662721159168

    I appreciate his open honesty but it just shows how far VJ has dragged this team down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-11-14-06-08-53.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	13333  
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

  2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    64,051

    Default

    Shots fired!

  4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    64,051

    Default

    VJ may have been the fly in the ointment but Elway is the one who opened the door. Love John and he can correct this but its probably going to take a while longer now because he is going to have to be able to convince players to want to come here again and that wont be easy with how disgruntled they are about the things that have went down. But Derek also has to understand that just because he took a home discount does not mean other players did and unless you can get those other players on board with the line of thinking it will still be a problem with the cap.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Rock of Eternity
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad Kelly
    Posts
    10,862

    Default

    This does not bode well for the rest of the games, but we can expect a top 10 Draft pick for sure.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    Hingle McCringleberry
    Posts
    13,336

    Default

    If Wolfe thought they could continue to be a top flight defense for years to come, that haircut might have nicked his brain a bit. Regardless of how historic that defense was, everything was predicated on having a Hall of Fame QB under center and all-pro players at nearly every level on defense which wasn't sustainable. Even with a hobbled Manning, he had leadership on the field that was unmatched and him coming in late in the year sparked us to a Super Bowl as much as our defense did. You think it's coincidence that the last time we sniffed a Super Bowl before Manning was with Elway? Even with Wade a few years ago the chinks in the armor were showing on defense as they were getting torched on opening drives.

    Right now from what I can see Wade's defense in LA is pretty middle of the pack because he is missing the chemistry and talent of the 2015 team. Love Wade, love Wolfe, but am sick of the shock that a post-Manning post-Ware/Ward/Talib Broncos team is struggling.

    We sold our soul to free agency and went to 2 Super Bowls and won one. I'll take that all day every day as I burn in hell for the next season or two.

  8. The Following 10 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Rock of Eternity
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad Kelly
    Posts
    10,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    If Wolfe thought they could continue to be a top flight defense for years to come, that haircut might have nicked his brain a bit. Regardless of how historic that defense was, everything was predicated on having a Hall of Fame QB under center and all-pro players at nearly every level on defense which wasn't sustainable. Even with a hobbled Manning, he had leadership on the field that was unmatched and him coming in late in the year sparked us to a Super Bowl as much as our defense did. You think it's coincidence that the last time we sniffed a Super Bowl before Manning was with Elway? Even with Wade a few years ago the chinks in the armor were showing on defense as they were getting torched on opening drives.

    Right now from what I can see Wade's defense in LA is pretty middle of the pack because he is missing the chemistry and talent of the 2015 team. Love Wade, love Wolfe, but am sick of the shock that a post-Manning post-Ware/Ward/Talib Broncos team is struggling.

    We sold our soul to free agency and went to 2 Super Bowls and won one. I'll take that all day every day as I burn in hell for the next season or two.
    I think it's more of a frustration of the ineptitude of the offense, his comments began with the QB.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

  10. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    Hingle McCringleberry
    Posts
    13,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I think it's more of a frustration of the ineptitude of the offense, his comments began with the QB.
    Well that I totally understand. But it's not a Broncos specific problem. When he says he thought they had a QB I wonder if he meant Brock? I had to believe for part of that 2015 season before we lost him players had bought into him taking over.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    42,643

    Default

    Looks like Nicki left out a very important part of this. She often does that.

    from another article:

    Still, according to Wolfe, he wouldn't go back and change his decision.

    No, because I am where I am. Im happy. If we were winning Id be real happy.
    https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ged-124704027/

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  13. The Following 5 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    64,051

    Default

    Guy has a point.

    But I’ll say this; I get tired of hearing Wolfe talk often of the ‘haircut’ he took to stay in Denver. He agreed to the contract and he’s still making $8 million in base salary this season, despite dealing with some scary injury issues that have declined his play over the years, but the team has stuck behind him.

    Derek Wolfe would be hard-pressed to find a contract of that ilk on the open market today. But he’s not wrong about 2015; he took less than what the open market would have paid him following Super Bowl 50. That doesn’t mean he needs to remind everyone every time he gets a mic shoved in his face.

  15. The Following 6 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Well that I totally understand. But it's not a Broncos specific problem. When he says he thought they had a QB I wonder if he meant Brock? I had to believe for part of that 2015 season before we lost him players had bought into him taking over.
    Actually he said he thought they were going to have a QB. I took that as his frustration that they still haven't figured out the position after PFM left, not as pointing to any one of the guys they have run out there.

  17. The Following 3 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Glenn Martinez, Rahim Moore
    Posts
    27,785

    Default

    Screw a QB. Get an OL. It’s time.

  19. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:


  20. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Screw a QB. Get an OL. It’s time.
    Not going to matter without a QB, look at the 2015 Cowboys as an example. Playoff team with 12 & 13 wins in 2014 & 2016 when they had solid QB play, 4 win team in 2015 when they were forced to start Matt Cassel and Brandon Weedon nearly the entire season (3 of those wins Tony Romo started), thats with the best o-line in football.

  21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike Hawk For This Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    64,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Not going to matter without a QB, look at the 2015 Cowboys as an example. Playoff team with 12 & 13 wins in 2014 & 2016 when they had solid QB play, 4 win team in 2015 when they were forced to start Matt Cassel and Brandon Weedon nearly the entire season (3 of those wins Tony Romo started), thats with the best o-line in football.
    Yea, i was going to bring that up too.

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Adopted Bronco:
    Vance Joseph's Future Pink Slip
    Posts
    7,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Screw a QB. Get an OL. It’s time.

  24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:


  25. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    VJ may have been the fly in the ointment but Elway is the one who opened the door. Love John and he can correct this but its probably going to take a while longer now because he is going to have to be able to convince players to want to come here again and that wont be easy with how disgruntled they are about the things that have went down. But Derek also has to understand that just because he took a home discount does not mean other players did and unless you can get those other players on board with the line of thinking it will still be a problem with the cap.
    It's not a problem with the cap. They weren't going to keep Derek Wolfe anyway next season, because he's been injured and is getting older and his cap hit for 2019 is $10,925,000 and his dead cap hit is $2,375,000. So, goodbye!

    What fans have to understand is that the entire roster is set to blow up and start over next year.

    Elway decided this BEFORE this season. He decided not to re-do Wolfe's contract, or extend Bradley Roby for a 5th season.

    You can also tell that they're keeping Von Miller dead cap hit of $28m in 2019.

    They're also getting rid of most of the UFAs they refused to re-sign prior to the season: Jared Veldheer, Domato Pecko, Trumaine Brock, Shaquil Barrett, Matt Paradis, Shane Ray, Zach Kerr, Pacman Jones, Jeff Heurmann, Max Garcia, Kevin Hogan, and Jordan Taylor to name a few.

    The Broncos could and would have re-negotiated some of these players in the off season if they thought they were a team competing for championships. You don't see the Chiefs leaving the core of their veterans open to FA! You don't see other top teams doing that. They are in win now mode. The Broncos are in re-build mode.

    I can criticize Elway for not re-signing veteran players who are playing well, but he took a look at this team and said "I don't know that we want to lock up too much of the salary cap in these guys" and he didn't. He's letting them hit FA and that means most of them will be playing somewhere else next year.

    At season's end they are firing Vance Joseph and the entire coaching staff and starting over with a rookie QB they find, probably in the top 5 picks of the NFL draft. So, why keep Wolfe or other ageing veterans?
    Last edited by Cugel; 11-14-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group