Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Derek Wolfe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    Not going to matter without a QB, look at the 2015 Cowboys as an example. Playoff team with 12 & 13 wins in 2014 & 2016 when they had solid QB play, 4 win team in 2015 when they were forced to start Matt Cassel and Brandon Weedon nearly the entire season (3 of those wins Tony Romo started), thats with the best o-line in football.
    Mark Schlereth and Mike EVans were talking about this on the radio yesterday. In today's NFL teams this season are running the ball less than they ever have, and passing more than ever in NFL history. That's not an accident. It's a direct result of the NFL constantly re-writing the rules to favor the QB and pass receiver.

"Unsportsman-like conduct! Glaring at the QB with a menacing look! 15 yards plus a 3 game suspension and $50,000 fine for a first offense!"

They are paying starting QBs in this league between $1m ($16m/season) to $2m per game and they don't want some reserve linebacker making the league minimum to blow up their $30m Qb and knock him out for months, costing the team perhaps $12m in wasted salary, in addition to destroying the team's chances for the season.

So, every year they re-write the rules and make having an elite passing QB more and more important. And the Broncos don't have that guy in a league that values nothing else.

Maybe 1 team in a generation can win like the 2015 Broncos with historically great defense and no franchise QB to speak of - 2000 Ravens, '85 Bears, etc. But that is the exception to the rule, and it's never happened to the same team twice.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Screw a QB. Get an OL. It’s time.
    Im Shazam and I approve this message.

I believe TS sould have succeeded here with some kind of pass pro
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

3. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

At the the time he took that deal it wasn't a paycut. The Broncos were paying a promising talent who had SOME production. It's revisionist history, in my opinion.

However, the spirit of what he is saying is correct. He watched us lowball Campbell, ignore Whitworth at LT, etc. He watched us shovel off some of the veteran leaders. He watched TS flounder, PL bust, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I think Elway getting VJ was about a Coach who would take less $$ too

6. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

I hope not.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Well u said it yourself theyve cheaped it in the player front. Allegedly not wanting to pay Wade, and VJ being a lower cost option sounds plausible.

I also think the vacant stadium naming rights (but I LOVE Broncos Stadium!) effected the franchise so badly the family wants the trust removed because they lost millions because of a failure in the office.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just hoping we didn't go cheap. Mike Browning it is bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just hoping we didn't go cheap. Mike Browning it is bad.
    Somebody mention Mike Browning, awesome!

Oh you meant a different one.... lol

Oh don’t you start!

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Look, I’ve always liked Wolfe but it was obvious then and it’s obvious now that we paid the wrong DE from that Super Bowl squad. The other guy was a better player and hasn’t had the injuries. He does tend to get the unnecessary personal foul from time to time but he’s a better player.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Look, I’ve always liked Wolfe but it was obvious then and it’s obvious now that we paid the wrong DE from that Super Bowl squad. The other guy was a better player and hasn’t had the injuries. He does tend to get the unnecessary personal foul from time to time but he’s a better player.
    Malik?

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    At the the time he took that deal it wasn't a paycut. The Broncos were paying a promising talent who had SOME production. It's revisionist history, in my opinion.

However, the spirit of what he is saying is correct. He watched us lowball Campbell, ignore Whitworth at LT, etc. He watched us shovel off some of the veteran leaders. He watched TS flounder, PL bust, etc.
    Basically he played his ass off for 3 years while Elway failed repeatedly to find a franchise QB who doesn't suck.

Osweiler. No, Paxton. No, Trevor. No, Paxton again. No, Trevor again. No Osweiler again. No, Keenum. Chad Kelly? No.

And here we are. No QB worth spit on the roster. And they are on the hook for $10m for Keenum NEXT year, so he'll probably be back, although we all hope NOT in a starting role.

Can you blame Wolfe for feeling let down? Elway screwed this team hard and fast with his poor personnel decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Malik said after he left that he wanted to stay, and that he was willing to negotiate a fair deal - the year BEFORE his contract expired. I.e. prior to the 2015 season. Elway, as he always does, refused. Then the "free agent market got away from us" which simply means they underestimated how much it would cost to keep players who had actually become FAs and could negotiate with other teams.

They decided they couldn't keep both Wolfe and Malik Jackson, but of course they could, but only IF they decided to redo the contracts PRIOR to the 2015 season. They were lucky Wolfe didn't leave too. Same thing with Chris Harris who took a team friendly deal and probably regrets it now.

Elway was saved from the consequences of his own incompetence, by the fact that some players were willing to negotiate below market contracts, because they wanted to stay with a SB winning team.

Well, we ain't a SB sniffing team right now, so Elway better change his approach. So far he hasn't but that could be because he recognizes that this team needs to be blown up anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I believe that with an improved OLine this team isnt that far off. They hung with KC and the Rams. This team needs better play from their QBs tho regardless of OLine play.

But this is an indictment of VJ. He lost the team. Players who respect their Coach wouldnt make those damning comments. He knows VJ is gone too so he has nothing to lose.

Hopefully in 2-3 years we will look back on the VJ era and laugh. This makes McDaniels era look welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Well u said it yourself theyve cheaped it in the player front. Allegedly not wanting to pay Wade, and VJ being a lower cost option sounds plausible.

I also think the vacant stadium naming rights (but I LOVE Broncos Stadium!) effected the franchise so badly the family wants the trust removed because they lost millions because of a failure in the office.
    The naming rights fiasco didn't please the heirs, but the value of their interest in the team keeps going up as the franchise value increases.

They are fighting over control over the team - to be named the controlling owner, and remove that interest from the Trust.

Beth Bowlen got stiffed by the Trust, so Bill Bowlen, who supports Beth, filed a lawsuit to remove the Trustees. Losing money would be an issue in support of that lawsuit, but the team overall isn't losing money.

Ellis and the Trustees want Brittany, but apparently they have to wait till she's 40 to turn things over to her and she's only 28 so that would be another 12years. If they can wait that long, which I doubt.

Their second preference is supposedly to sell the team to an outside party, but none of the heirs are likely to want that and all of them including Brittany might sue in that case.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information