Thread: Gateway songs & artists

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Gateway songs & artists

Tell us about the band or song that got you into a genre you didn't think you would like, or had never listened to, really, and then became a convert.

Or maybe just 'I don't like classical, but I like Dvorak's New World Symphony'

Or...this band took me in a different direction. You get the idea.

I always hated country when I was a kid. Then I moved to live with my dad in 7th grade, and he was into country at the time. He had a history of womanizing and had some trouble with the law prior to this point. He was trying to live clean around this time. Sprite, and no more Black Label. Country drove me nuts but I'd have to listen to it, because it was always playing in his truck. I warmed up a little bit to this song.

Looking back, it seems more of an aspirational song than anything. He always told me it was better to be faithful, but then he'd...nevermind.

That song might have thawed me a little. Not much, but damn when you listen to something often enough you just get kinda used to it. This song though, from the first time I heard it, knew it was my jam. I remember it now, we were going to a fishing spot on Lake Shasta after dark, the road was one of those don't look over the edge single lane access roads. My dad still had his old Ford, it was a 50-something or 60-something with killer turquoise-ish paint. Yeah, not country really, but it made country ok.

I still won't go out of my way to listen to country (or go fishing for that matter), but sometimes I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

When it comes to the post-rock/post metal stuff it was probably Sigur Ros that opened that door for me around the mid 2000's. This band was soon followed by bands like Muse, God is an Astronaut, Later day Radiohead, later day Alcest, Junius, Mogwai, and White Lies.

Not super surprising as this band ended up kicking off an entire new music direction in the 90's. This was quickly followed up by bands like Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Did you hear about Sigur Ros from Vanilla Sky like the rest of us?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Did you hear about Sigur Ros from Vanilla Sky like the rest of us?
    Actually no, i have a friend who lives in the UK who was a fan and introduced them to me on the music forum that i am a part of.

5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Good friend to have.

7. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Blues-based rock and roll

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'd say the same thing for me about Cream Crossroads. This song in particular got me into slide guitar stuff...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information