Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: John Elway’s Future in Denver?

He's a better drafter than he gets credit for, IMO.

I believe JFE learns lessons; he knows what it be like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike McGlinchey

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    So what you really want is some kind of statement from Elway that things aren't as bad as they seem.
    I don’t think things are totally bad to be honest. I just want to know that the man at the helm still has a contingency plan when things don’t work out. No Kool Aid needed for this Homer just donuts, but things don’t work out fine, move on. At times he does and at times he doesn’t and it’s the uncertainty and indecisiveness that concern me. I was disappointed when Tebow was sent to New England because he was passionate and fun to watch while Manning was methodical and fun to watch not for his physical athleticism but his tactical genius. Elway made that happen and we won another Super Bowl as a direct result of Elway brining in Manning. I am also fascinated by the chaos that will unravel with what appears to be the Brittany vs Beth ownership struggle. I hope it’s decided as soon as possible and so we can regain stability. I apologize but I am focused on the next several moves, as chess is a passion and so when things don’t work out you have a backup plan. My final thing is I want Elway to be more levelheaded. For all practical purposes, passion is for players and coaches, should be more analytical so that unfortunate incidents like the releasing of Chad Kelly are seen as a business decision exclusively, albeit a disappointing one, and not an emotional one with hurt feelings etc...

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    OK, everyone! Let's all overreact and jump off a cliff! We're doomed! Forever!
    Well, if the Broncos have another losing season, the first back to back losing seasons in what 40 years, well, then, I think people should chill out and realize it's the first time in over four decades the Broncos have had back to back losing seasons.

Insert "Broncos fans are spoiled" statement wherever you see fit.

5. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I give him one more young QB before I start going that far. If we draft another guy and he's a bust that sets us back a few more years, then you start strongly considering looking at his job.
    Considering Cutler is by far the best QB the Broncos have drafted, Brian Griese, Siemian and Maddox probably rounding out the top four, I think it's fair to say, we should cut Elway a little slack as it's clearly something in the Denver water that impacts QB draft decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Insert "Broncos fans are spoiled" statement wherever you see fit.
    You might want to rephrase. I sense anatomically impossible suggestions ahead.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Considering Cutler is by far the best QB the Broncos have drafted, Brian Griese, Siemian and Maddox probably rounding out the top four, I think it's fair to say, we should cut Elway a little slack as it's clearly something in the Denver water that impacts QB draft decisions.
    What's the number of franchise QBs, all-time? 50? 80? Let's say since '78. Some teams haven't had one that whole time...although it can be tough to tell when it's a good QB lost in a bad team/coaching situation.

My point is that if you say there have been about 64 legit QBs in 40 years x 32 teams (again, for easy math) with a franchise period of 10 years, that's what...

*Mathing* 1280 team years / 640 QB years...

50% coverage. Meaning half the time your team has a guy. That kinda squares with the state of the NFL right now, about 50% or so with a guy you'd call franchise (he'd get you to the big game and not stink up the joint).

They don't grow on trees! And I'm not sure there have been 64 of them...most need a HOF type coach to pair with them.

This whole exercise has me wishing we'd taken a flyer on a QB last draft, you gotta put your chips in if you wanna win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    What's the number of franchise QBs, all-time?

This whole exercise has me wishing we'd taken a flyer on a QB last draft, you gotta put your chips in if you wanna win.
    Two thoughts: Firstly, it sort of depends because some analysts thought and think guys like Flacco and Ryan (both divisive in their own rights) are franchise guys; Secondly, it didn't feel that way when Chubb was going off, but today it does. I suspect we will hem and haw back and forth about it.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

12. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

To be fair to Elway, he fails quickly. If something doesn't work, and it's pretty obvious, he will mostly move on. I say this in general.

It will be an interesting offseason.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Two thoughts: Firstly, it sort of depends because some analysts thought and think guys like Flacco and Ryan (both divisive in their own rights) are franchise guys; Secondly, it didn't feel that way when Chubb was going off, but today it does. I suspect we will hem and haw back and forth about it.
    Yeah, 'franchise' is vague. Kinda works though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah, 'franchise' is vague. Kinda works though.
    I think for your point maybe HoF worthy or in that discussion is closer to what you want. Flacco cannot make the HoF and Ryan's a longshot too. But guys like Rivers (borderline guy although a ring gets him in most likely) and the like are definitely of what I thought about when I read your post.

17. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Elway should get the same grace period of anyone that’s GM’ed an All-time great defense, an All-time great offense and a SB loss and win.

On the other hand, Elway should also get the same criticism of any other GM that cant draft to save his ass.

This is a guy that fired a HC after a SB appearance and three straight division titles (iirc), he’s been through 3 HC’s in 9 seasons, his team is in disarray for the 3 straight season ... what do you think Elway would do if he was the boss of someone in the same position as he’s in? He’d fire him.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

If you're referring to Fox, that guy was also looking for a way out, too. Kubiak stepped down because of health reasons, and I think he would have been kept by Elway if not for that.

VJ is the glaring problem on the "who is your coach resume."

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Every GM has excuses.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Every GM has excuses.
    My coach has a bad ticker and "this guy wants to leave because I want him to coach differently (Fox)" isn't much of an excuse. Also, the 9-7 team wasn't in disarray, but it was headed that way.

Look, VJ and the inability to get a QB are the failings we can put on Elway. He's put a lot of ammo in the latter, and VJ is a failure.

The drafts are more of a mixed bad than what a lot of people want to admit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    My coach has a bad ticker and "this guy wants to leave because I want him to coach differently (Fox)" isn't much of an excuse. Also, the 9-7 team wasn't in disarray, but it was headed that way.

Look, VJ and the inability to get a QB are the failings we can put on Elway. He's put a lot of ammo in the latter, and VJ is a failure.

The drafts are more of a mixed bad than what a lot of people want to admit.
    Yeah, a mixed bag of shit and dog vomit.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information