Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Report: Broncos Players Coveted at Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I just wanted to be witty with a song name.

And you couldn't even let me have that!

You're a monster.

2. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/...equests-trade/

Make this freaking happen Elway. DT for Peterson. I'm sure we'll have to throw in several picks to sweeten things, but make this deal done. This would be like the Champ for Portis swap all over again and will have a massive impact on the quality of our defense.
    Well, if Elway is selling off the team's ageing veterans, he's sure as hell not taking on Patrick Peterson and his contract. He's counting on rebuilding next year with young players and Patrick Peterson isn't interested in coming to a rebuilding team.

What I wonder is how guys like Derek Wolfe and Sanders and Von Miller react to Elway dismantling the team right after a big win? Wolfe is probably gone next year along with Roby, Todd Davis, Brandon Marshall (who is playing hurt this year).

At some point, players are going to start thinking "I have to protect myself since I'll be a FA next year. I can't get hurt heading into free agency!" And they stop playing for their team-mates, and start looking out for themselves.

In short the exact opposite of they way they played on Thursday night, which was the first time in about 2 years they've totally bought in to a TEAM concept and playing for each other with intensity.

It would be interesting to see what happens the rest of this year, but Elway is obviously all in on tanking in 2018 and getting the top draft pick he can. If they do that I doubt I bother to watch all the remaining games of 2018. It's going to be like being a Raiders fan with all the losing around here! And that sucks.

Add D.T. and they number of players left from the 2015 SB team is down to single digits.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    What I wonder is how guys like Derek Wolfe and Sanders and Von Miller react to Elway dismantling the team right after a big win?
    good grief. . . drama queen much?

listening to offers for one guy out of 53 is now "dismantling the team?" come on! these guys are pros, they understand that it's a part of the business. . . they'll be fine. . . also, no one wants to put bad film out there before going into free agency-- or to get a reputation for milking injuries and missing time. . . most guys can't afford to do what le'veon bell is. . . i wouldn't worry about players not giving effort, even if we do end up moving DT. . . he's a franchise icon, but guys with even better careers have been traded before, and will be traded again. . .

5. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Well, if Elway is selling off the team's ageing veterans, he's sure as hell not taking on Patrick Peterson and his contract. He's counting on rebuilding next year with young players and Patrick Peterson isn't interested in coming to a rebuilding team.

What I wonder is how guys like Derek Wolfe and Sanders and Von Miller react to Elway dismantling the team right after a big win? Wolfe is probably gone next year along with Roby, Todd Davis, Brandon Marshall (who is playing hurt this year).

At some point, players are going to start thinking "I have to protect myself since I'll be a FA next year. I can't get hurt heading into free agency!" And they stop playing for their team-mates, and start looking out for themselves.

In short the exact opposite of they way they played on Thursday night, which was the first time in about 2 years they've totally bought in to a TEAM concept and playing for each other with intensity.

It would be interesting to see what happens the rest of this year, but Elway is obviously all in on tanking in 2018 and getting the top draft pick he can. If they do that I doubt I bother to watch all the remaining games of 2018. It's going to be like being a Raiders fan with all the losing around here! And that sucks.

Add D.T. and they number of players left from the 2015 SB team is down to single digits.
    The whole notion of "rebuilding" is really an antiquated term. How, does a team in the hard cap era "rebuild" unless they have key players willing to restructure their contracts or pass up on big pay days?

That, is a fallacy. This is and has been a win now league and has been for quite some time. The Pats are the glaring exception. One thing we know is the "Patriot way" is a bs term also. To show how that is true, look at the Belichick coaching tree. Hardly any successes. Not in the pros. Now look at the Bill Walsh coaching tree and branches that came out from it.

The point is this is a win now league. If you have the chance to win now, you take that chance. Hence, the reason the draft often times has me frustrated about what we hope for. If the Broncos are fortunate enough to land 3 or 4 productive players in a draft, half of them are gone in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    The whole notion of "rebuilding" is really an antiquated term. How, does a team in the hard cap era "rebuild" unless they have key players willing to restructure their contracts or pass up on big pay days?

That, is a fallacy. This is and has been a win now league and has been for quite some time. The Pats are the glaring exception. One thing we know is the "Patriot way" is a bs term also. To show how that is true, look at the Belichick coaching tree. Hardly any successes. Not in the pros. Now look at the Bill Walsh coaching tree and branches that came out from it.

The point is this is a win now league. If you have the chance to win now, you take that chance. Hence, the reason the draft often times has me frustrated about what we hope for. If the Broncos are fortunate enough to land 3 or 4 productive players in a draft, half of them are gone in 3 years.
    Rookie contracts in the NFL last for 4 years if it's 2nd or later round picks, with a 5th year option for 1st rounders.

If a guy is gone after 3 years that's because the team decided not to keep him. Period.

The Broncos have a bunch of players becoming UFAs because Elway decided not to retain them past their rookie deals. That is called failed drafting. If you were doing it right they should be locking up these players for their 2nd contract, and they should be doing it 1 year before they become FAs.

That's what other team do. If you let a player hit FA they make too much money and you either can't compete or else have to overpay the player (examples are D.T. and Sanders).

Another perfect example: Jared Veldheer. He's basically a below average player. He has talent and is effective when he's healthy, but he never stays healthy for long. For this reason the AZ Cardinals gave up on him and let the Broncos take him.

In 2018 he earned "Veldheer will earn a base salary of $6,500,000 and a roster bonus of $406,250, while carrying a cap hit of $6,906,250 and a dead cap value of $6,500,000."

Why would someone give Jared Veldheer $7 million a year when he's such a marginal and risky player? Lack of alternative really.

If a guy is in position to move to another team via FA or trade, he will clean up.

So, rookie contracts are the real deals for teams. And re-signing your own players a year before their contracts expire is cheaper than going out in FA or competing with the entire league for your own UFAs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Rookie contracts in the NFL last for 4 years if it's 2nd or later round picks, with a 5th year option for 1st rounders.

If a guy is gone after 3 years that's because the team decided not to keep him. Period.

The Broncos have a bunch of players becoming UFAs because Elway decided not to retain them past their rookie deals. That is called failed drafting. If you were doing it right they should be locking up these players for their 2nd contract, and they should be doing it 1 year before they become FAs.

That's what other team do. If you let a player hit FA they make too much money and you either can't compete or else have to overpay the player (examples are D.T. and Sanders).

Another perfect example: Jared Veldheer. He's basically a below average player. He has talent and is effective when he's healthy, but he never stays healthy for long. For this reason the AZ Cardinals gave up on him and let the Broncos take him.

In 2018 he earned "Veldheer will earn a base salary of $6,500,000 and a roster bonus of $406,250, while carrying a cap hit of $6,906,250 and a dead cap value of $6,500,000."

Why would someone give Jared Veldheer $7 million a year when he's such a marginal and risky player? Lack of alternative really.

If a guy is in position to move to another team via FA or trade, he will clean up.

So, rookie contracts are the real deals for teams. And re-signing your own players a year before their contracts expire is cheaper than going out in FA or competing with the entire league for your own UFAs.
    Ok, and the reason why the team is not going to KEEP THEM period, is because they know they are going to need that money to pay bigger stars. For example the Broncos knew Von Miller was going to up for a big pay day, so they needed to let Trevathan and Malik Jackson go. Two players they had drafted 3 years before. After they showed their production, they moved on to teams willing to pay what the Broncos essentially COULD NOT PAY, if they wanted to pay Von all of that. Along with needing to field a team other than 3 players.

There is no real such thing as REBUILDING. It is a win this year, or win now league. Period. Like I said, IF the Broncos (or any team for that matter) is able to be fortunate enough to hit on 50% of their draft picks, at least half of them are gone in 4 years. That is IF they hit on that many.

This league sucks and they have us so duped as to what it really is. The hard cap essentially punishes teams that draft well and develop players well. Again, the Patriots are the glaring exception. Wishing for a star productive QB to restructure his contract in such a way as to make Osweiler a higher paid QB is stupid wishful thinking.

The Chiefs are certainly taking advantage of the rookie contract given to Mahomes. Watch what happens when he is up for contract and see the players they won't be able to keep. That is the league. It is a win now league. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    This league sucks and they have us so duped as to what it really is. The hard cap essentially punishes teams that draft well and develop players well. Again, the Patriots are the glaring exception. Wishing for a star productive QB to restructure his contract in such a way as to make Osweiler a higher paid QB is stupid wishful thinking.

The Chiefs are certainly taking advantage of the rookie contract given to Mahomes. Watch what happens when he is up for contract and see the players they won't be able to keep. That is the league. It is a win now league. Period.
    It's not a win now league unless you have an elite top 10 QB or a roster full of All-Pros. The Chiefs have both so yes, for them it's "Win now!" The Patriots always are in won now mode because they have Tom Brady. Same thing for the Packers and Steelers, the Falcons and Saints, and now the Rams and Eagles too, for the same reason.

The Broncos would be in "Win now" mode if they had Pat Mahomes. They THOUGHT it was win now mode for the Broncos this year too, but they over-estimated Case Keenum and their defense. They're not remotely ready and must rebuild.

They start rebuilding by drafting a rookie QB next draft. Then they continue rebuilding by building talent around him while he develops for the next 2 seasons. Then hopefully if you've drafted the right QB instead of Paxton Lynch, Jr., then you're in "win now" mode again.

If you haven't rebuilt around him properly then you are still stuck in rebuild mode, even though you have an elite QB -- example the Colts who will get a top 10 pick again next year despite having Andrew Luck.

So, it's really win now for about 12 teams that have elite QBs. Occasionally a team wins without one (Denver SB50) or a NON-elite QB will win with elite players - (Nick Foles, Joe Flacco).

But those are the exceptions to the rule. In reality for more than 1/2 of the teams in the league, it's rebuild now and hope you can win later, cause they're sure as hell not winning now. Some franchises are always rebuilding and then they fire the coach and GM and QB and start over again rebuilding and never enter win now mode at all (Browns, Jets).

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

The loss today all but assures the Broncos move on from at least two players tomorrow if non-low ball offers are there. Draft capital and cap space have to be acquired if this team is going to make a run after a QB1. I'm convinced the front office will make a move to acquire Joe Flacco in the offseason, where Baltimore suddenly has an Alex Smith Mahomes situation with Flacco's $20 million APY price tag. A team that acquires Flacco via trade won't have to eat up as much cap on Flacco as the Ravens, because the Ravens paid much of Flacco's $ up front.

11. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Flacco...please no. UA, don't be a prophet on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

It's an improvement at the position... Not sure how much, but it is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

I'm convinced he is gone in the offseason when Baltimore inevitably misses the playoffs. He excelled under Kubiak, and has a history of beating us. I think if this team is going to have an immediate resurgence, Flacco would be the one realistic guy the Broncos could get to make that happen.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1587291018038949.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	13269

This obviously isn't real lol, but it's funny as hell of you know the meme.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...F/FlacJo00.htm

He is consistently meh, so it is an upgrade. But we would trying to win a tough division with a middle of the road QB, an up and down defense, and very average offensive line.

It would just be kicking the can down the road...again.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    I'm convinced he is gone in the offseason when Baltimore inevitably misses the playoffs. He excelled under Kubiak, and has a history of beating us. I think if this team is going to have an immediate resurgence, Flacco would be the one realistic guy the Broncos could get to make that happen.
    If you're okay with it, I'm okay with it. But, I've been hurt before!

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...F/FlacJo00.htm

He is consistently meh, so it is an upgrade. But we would trying to win a tough division with a middle of the road QB, an up and down defense, and very average offensive line.

It would just be kicking the can down the road...again.
    We have little choice king. There are no viable options in 2019.this is a terrible qb class. 20 20 looks better, but do we really suck for another 2-3 years waiting on a qb? I dunno... Futures bleak man... We're bad news bears...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information