Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: John Elway: 2-3 start 'is not our standard'

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    No way VJ gets the job in the first place if he wasn't friends with Matt Russell, and he would've been fired in January if Kubiak didn't push to keep him.

Starting with Kubiak the FO started putting personal feelings over business decisions and we're seeing the results on the field. It might've worked out with Kubiak because he was already an established coach who wasn't afraid to stand up to Elway and give his opinion, but it definitely wasn't going to work a 2nd time.
    Personally I think it was Joe Ellis who pushed to keep VJ after last season - I think he overruled Elway's desire to fire him given how bad the personnel was last year.

You may be right that the Russell/VJ relationship was part of him being hired - but it's a relationship business, I don't necessarily fault them for hiring a guy they were familiar with... It worked out fairly well with Kubes. I fault them for hiring a bad and under-qualified coach.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

No way VJ gets the job in the first place if he wasn't friends with Matt Russell, and he would've been fired in January if Kubiak didn't push to keep him.

Starting with Kubiak the FO started putting personal feelings over business decisions and we're seeing the results on the field. It might've worked out with Kubiak because he was already an established coach who wasn't afraid to stand up to Elway and give his opinion, but it definitely wasn't going to work a 2nd time.
    It wasn’t Kubiak who pushed to keep VJ. It was Joe Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Personally I think it was Joe Ellis who pushed to keep VJ after last season - I think he overruled Elway's desire to fire him given how bad the personnel was last year.

You may be right that the Russell/VJ relationship was part of him being hired - but it's a relationship business, I don't necessarily fault them for hiring a guy they were familiar with... It worked out fairly well with Kubes. I fault them for hiring a bad and under-qualified coach.
    Exactly!

It just rubs me the wrong way when Elway makes comments like this. You hired an unqualified coach and defensive coordinator, you paid a backup QB a ton of money, you're the one who doesn't have the nerves to fire them, and now you complain the team isn't playing at the level you want, why do you think that is??

Quit complaining to the media about your team's performance, get off your butt and do something about it. Where's the Elway who wanted to fire Fox after losing the Super Bowl? Where's the Elway who did everything possible to get Manning? Where's the kicking and screaming he so famously talked about?

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tangerine For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I agree from the Shanny standpoint. If he could get over whatever issues he had with Pops we’d have a young smart dude as our coach.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm thinking if we lose this week and/or against the cardinals, we'll be looking at a big shakeup of the coaching staff.

To me we don't need a huge shake up,

fire VJ...and promote Musgrave to interim HC

fire woods or demote him back to Db coach

promote Herring to interim DC

and a overall push that...poor prep, poor play, poor game management, poor in game adjustment and weak game plans will no longer be accepted, not will lack luster play frpm the team

100% or move on

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I hear words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

11. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Case Keesum isnt the standard. And you signed him

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

The problem is, it’s gotten so bad that I just don’t know who to blame anymore. VJ? Musgrave? Woods? Elway? (never! I’m a true Broncos fan!) Keenum? Roby? Von? Wolfe? CHJ? DT? All of them?

I just don’t know. Honestly, this team is suffering from a lack of leadership at all levels. Seriously, there are still many players on the roster that were here when we won a SB and yet there appears nobody on the team from the top down, knows how to win.

VJ and the staff don’t deserve the players they have (we have friggin talent on this team, a lot more than some teams who are playing much better) and right now none of the guys with a “C” on their chest deserve them. Including Von. These guys know how to play and if the shit the coaches are telling them to do ain’t working, then fix the coach. Coach upward! You don’t think PFM did plenty of that?

The bottom line is, the cupboard is bare on leadership right now. I’d love to just be able to point at VJ and say it’s all his fault (it is his responsibility) but nobody is holding anyone accountable right now. Elway isn’t the coach he can hire and fire people, but I don’t think he tells Joseph what to do with the team. I hope our next staff can fix this shitty mess.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

15. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Elway gets his share of blame, Imo, even if that means I’m not a true fan.

Shanatan also definitely deserved his share of the blame long before it was ok for fans to blame him.

It is currently ok to blame Shanatan so why wait with Elway? He’s done a poor, poor job.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It wasn’t Kubiak who pushed to keep VJ. It was Joe Ellis.
    ******* Bushes!
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

This actually is the Broncos standards btw, first they win the SB and then they go into 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 purgatory. I predicted 10-wins at least, and still think they can get there, but this season has purgatory written all over it.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

20. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    This actually is the Broncos standards btw, first they win the SB and then they go into 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 purgatory. I predicted 10-wins at least, and still think they can get there, but this season has purgatory written all over it.
    You still think we're winning 10 games?

22. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    You still think we're winning 10 games?
    Jaded is a pessimist, but not a hater. Sometimes he strays from logic a bit, but once a brother styles he is a brother forever.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

24. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

I thought 10-6, but now I think 4-12.

26. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i thought 6-10, and i still think 6-10. . .

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information