Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Film Room

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I’ll stick to the PC rather than the iPad...photos small and it posted twice after I hit submit once.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So, I was curious about the Emmanuel Sanders touchdown. It was early in the game and the Broncos hadn't run anything in the Ravens game to set it up, which sometimes is a good time to run an end-around or a counter to catch a team sleeping. I think that's exactly what Denver did.

First, the preseason end-around touchdown (same exact play):
    3:10

Also, apparently Kevin Hart doesn't like Robert Irwin's ******* animals.

#YouTubeHole
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

In the first two games, the Broncos ran that same bunch formation, or motion into a bunch seven times. Four times against the Seahawks, a 5-yard pass to Sanders and a incomplete pass to Sutton in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, respectively. And twice in the fourth quarter and both resulted in Lindsay 5-yard runs. One was a counter power run and the other was an outside zone. That was four plays with the same formation, but four different play calls.

The two passes were the exact same play:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd_1st10_ESanders_5_1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	13068

It's a trips with Sanders running a short hitch, Sutton a wheel route and Janovich a flair, with Thomas running a slant on the opposite side. A completed five yard pass to Sanders. That was a play before the long touchdown pass here the Broncos ran three gradual deep outs and Sanders was wide open in the middle of the field. Ironically, in that YouTube video above, Sutton makes a catch on a similar play to the touchdown.

Name:	3rd_2nd10_Incomplete_0_2.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	13069

This is the play in the third quarter. Keenum tries to throw the slant away from the bunch and throws it behind Sutton. Same route combo on the opposite side.

Those were the first two times the Broncos showed that type of formation this season.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

In the fourth quarter against the Seahawks, the Broncos ran that same formation with a fullback/tight end as part of a bunch with two wide receivers on one side of the formation. The first of which is a zone run to the outside with the fullback/tight end going in motion away from the bunch.

Name:	4th_1st10_PLindsay_5_1.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	13070

Name:	4th_1st10_PLindsay_5_2.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	13071

Name:	4th_1st10_PLindsay_5_3.JPG 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	13072

Name:	4th_1st10_PLindsay_5_4.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	13073

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The second time the Broncos ran that bunch formation in the fourth quarter, it's an interesting way to get into a power run with a counter. The pulling action is the right guard and the tight end.

Name:	4th_2nd3_PLindsay_5_1.JPG 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	13074

Name:	4th_2nd3_PLindsay_5_2.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	13075

Name:	4th_2nd3_PLindsay_5_3.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	13076

Name:	4th_2nd3_PLindsay_5_4.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	13077

Those are all four plays from that bunch formation from under center against the Seahawks. They introduced a basic pass play that they've run numerous times out of several formations including from the shotgun with that exact route combo from the bunch and a slant on the other side. They haven't run a slugo on that slant yet that I've seen, but it's another wrinkle they could add, especially with Thomas or Sutton in that lone role on the other side of the formation. But I digress...
    Last edited by MOtorboat; 09-26-2018 at 04:01 AM.

8. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Broncos ran a similar formation three times against the Raiders. All runs, once in the first quarter and twice in the fourth quarter. The first quarter play is going to look familiar:

Name:	1st_1st10_PLindsay_5_1.jpg 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	13078

I drew, poorly, the play against the Ravens. Here's the play they actually ran:

Name:	1st_1st10_PLindsay_5_2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	13079

Name:	1st_1st10_PLindsay_5_3.JPG 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	13080

Name:	1st_1st10_PLindsay_5_4.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	13081

The Raiders are in a 3-4 base, and it looks like they are playing a fairly basic zone as the left corner doesn't follow Sanders' motion. Result: 5 yard run for Lindsay.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The other two, Royce Freeman 7-yard run in the fourth:

Name:	4th_3rd2_RFreeman_5_1.JPG 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	13082

Name:	4th_3rd2_RFreeman_5_2.JPG 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	13083

Name:	4th_3rd2_RFreeman_5_3.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	13084

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Freeman had to break a tackle because the Raiders weren't fooled by the motion, but he got the first down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The second is a 3-yard zone cutback for Lindsay, who got down to the one (Keenum scored on fourth down two plays later):

Name:	4th_2ndG_PLindsay_3.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	13085

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So...the touchdown against the Ravens:

Name:	1_1st10_ESanders_35_1.JPG 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	13086

Name:	1_1st10_ESanders_35_2.JPG 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	13087

Name:	1_1st10_ESanders_35_3.JPG 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	13088

Here's my favorite frame: Only three Ravens recognize the reverse action at this point, and all three are way behind the play. Bolles' seal block on Patrick Onwuasor is key. The three players that see the play at this point for the Ravens are Suggs and one of the two defensive tackles (they were in a 2-4-5), and Albert McClellan. Weddle gets burned. He's looking in at the running back and is way late on the back side recognizing the play and Sanders is too fast for him. Great play.

Name:	1_1st10_ESanders_35_4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	13089

Name:	1_1st10_ESanders_35_5.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	13090

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Great work. You are clearly a dedicated fan. One who gets no kitty.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information