Thread: Champ Bailey among 13 Broncos nominated for Pro Football Hall of Fame's modern-era Class of 2019

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Champ Bailey among 13 Broncos nominated for Pro Football Hall of Fame's modern-era Class of 2019

Of the 102 former NFL players and coaches announced Thursday as nominees for the 2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame class, 13 have Broncos ties — including first-time candidate Champ Bailey, who retired in 2014 after 10 seasons with the team.

Bailey is joined by seven Ring of Famers: wide receiver Rod Smith (1995-2007), center Tom Nalen (1994-2008), linebacker/defensive end Karl Mecklenburg (1983-94), safeties Steve Atwater (1989-98), Dennis Smith (1981-94) and John Lynch (2004-07), kicker Jason Elam (1993-2007) and former head coach Dan Reeves (1981-92).

Defensive end Neil Smith, who won two Super Bowls (XXXII and XXXIII) and spent three years with the Broncos, is also a nominee. Running back Clinton Portis, who spent two years in Denver and earned a Pro Bowl selection in 2003, is also nominated. Former Broncos Ty Law and Simeon Rice, who spent a season or less with the team, were also selected.
    rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/d...-2019-nominees

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Go Champ and Meck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

first ballot all the way, baby!

I know there is zero chance of it ever happening, but man I wish Rod Smith would make the final cut some day. If Michael Irving is HoF material, so is Rod Smith. Their careers are very comparable and Rod Smith did it as an undrafted free agent. You put Rod on the eagles, cowboys, steelers or giants and he'd be first ballot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I love me some Rod Smith, but if a guy that played all front 7 positions on defense at an all pro level doesn't make it, Rod ain't either.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I love me some Rod Smith, but if a guy that played all front 7 positions on defense at an all pro level doesn't make it, Rod ain't either.
    Karl should have made it on the first ballot

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I have no belief that he will make it, but Meck not making it doesn't mean Rod doesn't deserve it. There are guys at the hall that Rod played as well as or better than, but unfortunately we're about to hit a massive logjam of extremely prolific WR's that need to get in. The only chance he ever has is someday as a senior nomination.

The problem is the team they played for. Meck, Atwater, Smith, they'd all have been in a long freaking time ago if they played for one of the preferred teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    first ballot all the way, baby!

Can't believe it's been only five years since he retired. I would have bet it was longer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

He should be an All Pro Safety by now!

12. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

He should be an All Pro Safety by now!
    I wish he had stuck around and played safety for awhile. Who knows how well he could have made the transition, but I wish he'd have tried while he was still with us.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Champ Bailey among 13 Broncos nominated for Pro Football Hall of Fame's modern-era Class of 2019

He fought the Law and the...
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information