Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratings way down for NFL Opener.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Ratings way down for NFL Opener.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...BMZWt8?ocid=sf

The NFL’s opening Thursday night game got disappointing TV ratings for a league that is battling perceptions of rapidly declining popularity.

NBC announced a 13.4 overnight rating for the Super Bowl champion Eagles’ last-second win over the Falcons. That was way down from the 14.6 for Chiefs-Patriots last year, which itself was way down from a 16.5 for Panthers-Broncos the year before, which itself was way down from a 17.7 for Steelers-Patriots the year before that.

I think the NFL has peaked.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The rain delay probably didn't help. I'll wait to see a full week or two of ratings before I really draw any strong conclusions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I think the NFL has peaked.
    I think its a combination of all the rule changes and the kneeling stuff. I think both are starting to have a long term effect on the league.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

I def think the rule changes/refs is a huge huge part of it. I want to watch the guys play, not stoppages for penalty after penalty after penalty.

Football is a high contact sports. The owners need to have the players union sign off on something. I will still watch but it is becoming so boring and dumb. Let the players play.

I do not give two shits about the kneeling.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It's worth noting the this game was the highest rated sporting event since the super bowl. The NFL may be slipping, but it's still king.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Thurs night, was first day of school for many here.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

I think the league has lost credibility due to the head trauma cover up. There were millions of mothers and fathers that watched that movie. There are a lot of ex-NFL players who have openly stated they don’t want their kids to play.

There’s also more options now (MLS, UFC). The NFL isn’t even my favorite sports league anymore. Now, before someone comes in and shortsightedly states they wouldn’t watch MLS to suggest my comment is pointless, please remember your tastes are not the taste of every red blooded American. Every slice of pie that goes missing affects the whole of the pie.

Unless it’s the Broncos I’d rather watch the UFC. I only watched about 20 minutes of the game last night. I could care less about the rest of the teams.

11. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think the league has lost credibility due to the head trauma cover up. There were millions of mothers and fathers that watched that movie. There are a lot of ex-NFL players who have openly stated they don’t want their kids to play.

There’s also more options now (MLS, UFC). The NFL isn’t even my favorite sports league anymore. Now, before someone comes in and shortsightedly states they wouldn’t watch MLS to suggest my comment is pointless, please remember your tastes are not the taste of every red blooded American. Every slice of pie that goes missing affects the whole of the pie.

Unless it’s the Broncos I’d rather watch the UFC. I only watched about 20 minutes of the game last night. I could care less about the rest of the teams.
    I haven't really studied it that closely, but I wonder if the shrinking size of the NFL pie piece is growing the pie pieces of other sports, or if the entire pie is just shrinking, largely due to cord cutting. I know Nascar ratings are in the tank now, baseball is declining on a national scale. Soccer is increasing I guess, but I don't know that a ton of people are really watching the MLS. I think people are just watching less broadcast TV, and by extension sports.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Yea, i dont care to much about other sports except for a game here or there. I still love football a lot but find myself this year more interested in college football/basketball than professional. Unless Denver does well record wise this year i could find myself tuning out for the first time in over 35 years. I dont even care about the kneeling stuff (other than the media trying to report about it every 5 seconds) but the rule changes just takes away from the sport for me and my interest has started to wane do to it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

"Cord cutting" - everyone drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

The amount of commercials probably has an effect too. We’re so used to our Netflix/Amazon Prime/ On demand type of tv where we’re not bombarded with pecker pill and beer commercials that when you turn on a game that starts to drive you nuts.

3 and a half hours to watch a one hour game is ridiculous.

16. The Following 9 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    The amount of commercials probably has an effect too. We’re so used to our Netflix/Amazon Prime/ On demand type of tv where we’re not bombarded with pecker pill and beer commercials that when you turn on a game that starts to drive you nuts.

3 and a half hours to watch a one hour game is ridiculous.
    I can buy that, its why Redzone is so effective. Even when they cut away its just more sports updates rather than commercials.

18. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Very interesting, and makes a lot of sense

Are TV ratings really down for major live sporting events in the US?

http://www.maassmedia.com/2018/02/22...orting-events/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I haven't really studied it that closely, but I wonder if the shrinking size of the NFL pie piece is growing the pie pieces of other sports, or if the entire pie is just shrinking, largely due to cord cutting. I know Nascar ratings are in the tank now, baseball is declining on a national scale. Soccer is increasing I guess, but I don't know that a ton of people are really watching the MLS. I think people are just watching less broadcast TV, and by extension sports.
    I believe that is also one of the factors. There isn’t just one thing to point to. There are many factors affecting the viewership of the NFL.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 09-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information