Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratings way down for NFL Opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I already said what is known to be true. MMA is the best!
    The best striker in MMA at the time couldn't outbox a forty year old man who had one two week camp and who also looked his worst since the start of his career.

MMA is just bad boxing and bad wrestling smacked together. It's a sub-par sport.

My tweaking of Al's nose aside - I think all of the listed possibilities contribute, including the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think there is some valid points made by the author of the article that Carol posted but unfortunately he doesnt have any data to back it up, only theory and speculation. But there is a portion of the public that has tried the work around from cord cutting to achieve getting the games in a cheaper way. But, based on people i have talked with not only in my own circle of friends but sports fans in general most seem to be more displeased with the changes in the rules more than anything. Judging people that i talk with it breaks down like this,

1) Rule Changes
    2) Kneeling
    3) Cord cutting
    4) All of the above

As i said, most of whom i have talked with whether in discussions on the net or in my personal life tend to lean to 1 and 2 whenever the topic of the NFL comes up. But i wouldnt be surprised if the cord cutting also cuts into a percentage of the drop off.
    5 those who boycott in support of kaepernick

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

4. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I know as many people in my day-to-day life who boycott in favor of CK as I do who boycott over the protests.

It's anecdotal evidence and totally worthless, but I haven't met too many people boycotting the NFL, and I live in an area that is very un-King-like.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    6) So many other entertainment choices; such as Netflix, 200+ cable/satellite channels (including about 2 dozen sports channels), social media, etc.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    The best striker in MMA at the time couldn't outbox a forty year old man who had one two week camp and who also looked his worst since the start of his career.

MMA is just bad boxing and bad wrestling smacked together. It's a sub-par sport.

My tweaking of Al's nose aside - I think all of the listed possibilities contribute, including the protests.
    This day will live in infamy.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'll believe in the downfall of the NFL when I move more than 10 spots on the season ticket waiting list I have been on since 2003 in a year. IT NEVER MOVES!

12. The Following 7 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    This day will live in infamy.
    Talk dirty!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Commissioner and players have taken fans for granted and some fans are rebelling. Jerry Jones might have been right in wanting to oust Goodell.
    That is certainly part of it. Judging from this board, which seems a fair cross section, it doesn't seem like a dominant factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I still watch but know many people who don’t anymore because of the political bullshit. Make fun of them all you want, but they are a massive chunk of the fans. I’m talkin die hard patriots and Steelers and broncos fans that are turned OFF by the protests. One is lying through their teeth if they think the ratings drop off is due to anything else.
    Ratings have been dropping at a pretty consistent rate over the last 4-5 years and the protests only started 2 years ago, so your theory falls flat. I think people who actually don't watch football anymore because of that are a very loud vocal minority and most of them probably weren't actually diehard fans in the first place.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Ratings have been dropping at a pretty consistent rate over the last 4-5 years and the protests only started 2 years ago, so your theory falls flat. I think people who actually don't watch football anymore because of that are a very loud vocal minority and most of them probably weren't actually diehard fans in the first place.
    Theory standing strong, thank you very much.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#5c4823d67e94 https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-are-favorable

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#3ac933fd1df5

The ratings are way down in NASCAR as well. Down as much as 20% according to some studies and they have NO ISSUE with kneeling for the Anthem. There are other factors that Nielsen is having a hard time with. They are trying to rectify it by tracking the streaming numbers. More and more people are using the streaming devices to view programs, especially sports (especially football.) People are also using their DVR to tape programs to fast forward through commercials. That, is what is accounting for the numbers being down more than likely.

Attendance is also down just due to the high cost of attending the games. Most middle class families cannot justify that expense. If a family of 3 go to a game, after paying for 3 tickets (in the upper upper decks), after parking and concessions that is about $400 to $500 dollar day. The Chargers had the audacity to charge their fans $100 to park last year.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/par...e-dolphins-nfl

That is obscene, and they were trying desperately to establish a fan base? Or so they said. It is not much cheaper in other crucial areas. The NFL level greed is what is killing the fans (middle class fans which is the mean of the fan base.) Why would anyone pay that much when they can live stream or go to the bar? Have a better view etc.

Also, NFL Red zone Channel is effecting the NFL ratings numbers. According this article the NFL is not releasing the Red Zone ratings. It is commercial free and I know I have had that on pretty much all day until the game I want to see comes on.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanr.../#7a9da103e86d

The Nielsen Group is struggling to develop accurate ratings innovations to account for the streaming factors.
    https://variety.com/2017/tv/features...gs-1202027752/

This issue of ratings is far more complicated than kaepernick. That issue is just for political opportunists to divide and conquer like they always do. Since, this country is constant campaign mode, that is going to happen.

It is more complicated than that.

Plus.....

The NFL product sort of sucks. We cannot get too attached to players, cause they are gone after 4 years more than likely. The constant inventions of stupid ambiguous rules made to make the perception that they are making it "safer" is what that is. That is to be proactive to defend themselves from the countless lawsuits on the horizon.

Plus, more and more fines and we will not really know the money they collect from their millionaires from fines.
    Last edited by Broncoknight30; 09-08-2018 at 10:34 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Well......I've never been a fan of watching a car go round & round on a track. I'm sure the experience of being there live is different. My youngest son volunteered to go to Charlotte, NC for a race, and he said it was pretty damn cool to be around the cars & trucks. It was boring to watch.

23. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Well......I've never been a fan of watching a car go round & round on a track. I'm sure the experience of being there live is different. My youngest son volunteered to go to Charlotte, NC for a race, and he said it was pretty damn cool to be around the cars & trucks. It was boring to watch.
    Oh, I am no fan of that sport. They are passionate as hell though, trust me. I have been to a Daytona 500. We were in the center. I made the mistake of drinking too much on the way up from Palm Beach, and I was completely out of it. I remember it being cool being there.

Anyway, the fact their viewership is down 20% tells me there must be another factor at play. Cannot be coincidence that as streaming has become more and more popular (commercial free viewing) and Nielsen having a hard time accounting for that viewership. That has to be a factor.

I think ratings are down across the board btw, for every sport. Not just football.

However, I do firmly believe there are political OPPORTUNISTS (Both sides) that will exaggerate the numbers, or hype that issue. I am sure that is a factor, but I do think it is far less impact than the other factors at play.

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I dont fault anyone for being passionate on what they love. When we lived in Bossier City, La., I recall those folks being very passionate about their NASCAR.

As far as NFL...I believe Slick has a point in the commercials drown out the excitement of watching, and the saturation of rules has really had an affect. I get the politics is another factor.

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information