Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratings way down for NFL Opener.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    "Cord cutting" - everyone drink.
    I mean, it's a real thing. Ratings for everything on television have been declining year after year. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that the NFL is declining at a faster rate than television on the whole.

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I bet if these TV ratings had a way to track illegal streams, we'd find that NFL ratings are doing just fine. I see people constantly threatening to quit watching football, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority don't. I think it's mostly people just getting mad online.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I mean, it's a real thing. Ratings for everything on television have been declining year after year. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that the NFL is declining at a faster rate than television on the whole.
    Oh, I know it's a real thing. To the extent that it's almost always universally invoked whenever ratings are. The phenomenon has almost made ratings in general a defunct concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The bastardization of the rules and the politicizing of the players are hurting ratings no question. For me the main reason I don't really watch it anymore is because of the rules changes that have turned into a sport that resembles the NBA. Everytime there is a pass down the field everyone looks around for flags. The targeting rules which make it harder and harder to play defense along with the absolute inequity of the pass interference rules are making the product a very un-enjoyable one to watch.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

7. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

I bet if these TV ratings had a way to track illegal streams, we'd find that NFL ratings are doing just fine. I see people constantly threatening to quit watching football, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority don't. I think it's mostly people just getting mad online.
    Personally I don’t watch much anymore. I cut the cord. I still watch most of the Denver games because they’re usually available on CBS or FOX where I live, and Sling also offers NFL Network.

There are a number of reasons I’ve lost interest in the league as a whole, but my disinterest really started when my son suffered two bad concussions playing football. I watched the Frontline special during the same time. The shield is made out of plastic in my eyes.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I watched a little bit, then turned it away, then came back for the last few minutes. Eagles/Falcons is a yawner to me.....just by name only. It get the Eagles just won a SB, but I don't find them very appealing teams to watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Watched as much of it as I could. Thursday games are sloppy. Week 1 games are sloppy. Thursday, week 1 games are super sloppy. Sarkisian’s play-calling sucks and the Eagles have a ton of injuries.

I don’t really buy that viewership for the NFL is declining all that much, I just think it’s different. I watched the game on a PC while at work. I don’t count toward TV ratings.

Flags are only up 1 percent (from 7 to 8 percent of plays) over the last decade. Officiating only ruins your viewership of a game if you let it, IMO.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I subscribed to the Redzone again this year. 2nd year. I'm a sophomore.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Prayers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I still watch but know many people who don’t anymore because of the political bullshit. Make fun of them all you want, but they are a massive chunk of the fans. I’m talkin die hard patriots and Steelers and broncos fans that are turned OFF by the protests. One is lying through their teeth if they think the ratings drop off is due to anything else.

17. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I still watch but know many people who don’t anymore because of the political bullshit. Make fun of them all you want, but they are a massive chunk of the fans. I’m talkin die hard patriots and Steelers and broncos fans that are turned OFF by the protests. One is lying through their teeth if they think the ratings drop off is due to anything else.
    I think there is some valid points made by the author of the article that Carol posted but unfortunately he doesnt have any data to back it up, only theory and speculation. But there is a portion of the public that has tried the work around from cord cutting to achieve getting the games in a cheaper way. But, based on people i have talked with not only in my own circle of friends but sports fans in general most seem to be more displeased with the changes in the rules more than anything. Judging people that i talk with it breaks down like this,

1) Rule Changes
    2) Kneeling
    3) Cord cutting
    4) All of the above

As i said, most of whom i have talked with whether in discussions on the net or in my personal life tend to lean to 1 and 2 whenever the topic of the NFL comes up. But i wouldnt be surprised if the cord cutting also cuts into a percentage of the drop off.

19. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

OK fine i'll say what everybody is thinking...soccer is better.

Commissioner and players have taken fans for granted and some fans are rebelling. Jerry Jones might have been right in wanting to oust Goodell.

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    OK fine i'll say what everybody is thinking...soccer is better.
    I already said what is known to be true. MMA is the best!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information