Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos using STRIVR?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Question Broncos using STRIVR?

A few years ago I complained that the Broncos could have been using VR to help their QBs get more mental reps. To me this seemed critical given the limited practice times and how important the mental side is at that position. It looks like they are on board.

Keenum
    http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-v...e-keenums-game

Hogan
    https://www.strivr.com/case-studies/...tanford-qb-vr/

One of the first Cardinal players to start swearing by VR was quarterback Kevin Hogan, now a backup quarterback with the Cleveland Browns. He was sold on it after sitting out a few games due to injury, because while he couldn’t physically practice, he could still get in all the mental reps he was missing. It became a huge part of his preparation process at the Farm, and, later, something he discussed frequently with his peers throughout the NFL draft process in 2015.

It wasn’t just that other programs didn’t have what Stanford was using. It was that most NFL teams didn’t have what Stanford was using, Hogan’s current employer included.

“We don’t use it here with the Browns,” Hogan said. “It’s something that I miss. I think it’s an extra tool that would really help my preparation and be very useful, especially when you might not be getting as many reps as you did in college.”
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/colleges...y-12451227.php

Now they just need to hire Shaw.

Good work Elway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    A few years ago I complained that the Broncos could have been using VR to help their QBs get more mental reps. To me this seemed critical given the limited practice times and how important the mental side is at that position. It looks like they are on board.

Keenum

Hogan

Good work Elway.
    A year too late... This might have been the only thing to save Paxton's career A video game that helps you improve at football.

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Keenum

Hogan

Good work Elway.

I'm missing where it says that the Broncos are using this? I see where Stanford, Minnesota, and several others are, but I don't see the Broncos listed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Maybe everyone gets how useful this is, but maybe not. So I'll share a story.

The hardest part of pilot training for most is the Instrument phase, about 7-8 months into the gig. The gist of it is that you have to maintain heading, altitude, airspeed and you are in a black box. There is no autopilot. The aircraft naturally drifts away from the desired heading, altitude, and airspeed just like a boat in open water. So you have to be ultra hyper vigilant and constantly check your attitude indicator and all these other indicators for the first sign of deviation. Then you add layers on top of that. You have to make precise radio calls at precise times. You have to set your navigation system and radio the right way. Sometimes you'll get interrupted in the middle of a task with something more important.

You get the idea, it's pretty easy to get blindsided with all the crap you have to process. When my dad came out for graduation, he crashed the thing in fifteen seconds.

Reason for the analogy: I was motivated to do well. Really, I wanted complete perfection lol. My goal was a zero-downgrade checkride, a remarkable thing for the Instrument phase.

So what did I do? Spent hours upon hours getting mental reps in the simulator. Cranked up the turbulence and variability factors. Went ham!

The checkride went great, and the phase as a whole was one of my better ones. Our class as a whole got crushed during that phase for external reasons (one of our classmates reported an instructor and student for cheating, but it was a longstanding practice that was condoned, but after my buddy's 12 page manifesto on the moral ills of pilot training we were in deep shit).

For anyone with a natural desire to compete and win the use of best technology to simulate the mental processes that will best *hard tested* on gameday, this seems like a must to me. So much of Manning's greatness was anticipation, and so much of that skill was just drilling, drilling, drilling until it's a background process.

And if you can't get 21 guys together to get all the nuance and visual detail from the real thing, why not simulate it?

To me, bringing in Keenum and Hogan signals a revival of that Manning-style focus on putting in the reps. Would we like the QBs with the physical tools we associate with the elite ones? Hell yea. But until then, at least we can demand they have that fast-twitch mental process and anticipation, and it looks like that's the direction the Broncos have gone.

I'm stoked and optimistic about the franchise.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following 9 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I'm missing where it says that the Broncos are using this? I see where Stanford, Minnesota, and several others are, but I don't see the Broncos listed.
    Lol, I love how he's responded to he post, but still isn't clearing this up.

Unless something has changed, we aren't one of the 6 teams using STRIVR. Its creator showed it to us and 10 other teams and the combine and Elway seemed impressed, but I'm not seeing where we adopted it. That article says 6 teams are using it, if you go to the STRIVR website https://www.strivr.com/sports/

It lists Jets, Cardinals, Cowboys, Vikings, Bears and Niners. The NFL is also using it to help train refs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Does that matter?

Also, I didn't realize this, but former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist also has a QB VR training program that he created.

Does that matter?
    It does if you are saying we're using something and all evidence points to the contrary. Give us the sauce Hawg...

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Lol, I love how he's responded to he post, but still isn't clearing this up.

Unless something has changed, we aren't one of the 6 teams using STRIVR. Its creator showed it to us and 10 other teams and the combine and Elway seemed impressed, but I'm not seeing where we adopted it. That article says 6 teams are using it, if you go to the STRIVR website https://www.strivr.com/sports/

It lists Jets, Cardinals, Cowboys, Vikings, Bears and Niners. The NFL is also using it to help train refs.
    Don't you have some paste to eat somewhere else?

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

There is no requirement that a team grant permission to use their name in marketing. Patriots don't advertise it. If 2/3 of your QB room are hardcore STRIVR users, that's good enough for me.

There is no requirement that a team grant permission to use their name in marketing. Patriots don't advertise it. If 2/3 of your QB room are hardcore STRIVR users, that's good enough for me.
    Hawg, you are missing the point here. No one is saying you are lying, but where are you getting this information from? Because you saying we are using it doesn't mean that we are. How did you hear that we are using it? This isn't an unreasonable question to ask man, no paste eating required, just a little sourcing of your statements.

It sounds like you are just assuming since two of our QB's used it in the past, we are now. That doesn't make it a fact. It makes your post potentially misinformation and if it is speculation the title is misleading.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

You've sold me. I sincerely HOPE that we're using it.

From my perspective it looks like something Keenum used at Minnesota, but I'm not seeing that he's (Broncos) using it here. .. . I hope he is.

16. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

You've sold me. I sincerely HOPE that we're using it.

From my perspective it looks like something Keenum used at Minnesota, but I'm not seeing that he's (Broncos) using it here. .. . I hope he is.
    I hope we're using it, but there is really no evidence anywhere to say that we are aside from the fact that Keenum and Hogan used it in the past.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I offer an inference no one had yet made based on the fact that two Broncos are poster-children for STRIVR, use it as you will. I should have put a question mark at the end of the title, I realize this now, it would have better addressed reader expectations. That's fair.

Freyaka, thanks for not calling me a liar, that warmed my heart.

19. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Could a mod add a question mark please?

21. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

GEM

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information