Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The new helmet rule.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Default The new helmet rule.

Yes, Brandon Perna again. Just watch that video cause he has a compilation of the penalties being called. The Pittsburgh penalty really got me. It is in there. This is a real real problem. If we have to endure this shit all year.....I am pretty sure I am done with the game.

I am close to that anyway, and no it has little to do with the kneeling crap. The product has increasingly sucked. Mainly due to our over litigious society which in my mind is the real problem.

What confuses me about the "ESPN" types that are sooo concerned about the head injury problem is why they only seem to be overly concerned about it in the NFL. When was the last time you saw a hint at drastic rule changes in hockey, or MMA, or boxing, or soccer?

When was the last time you saw anyone calling for the autopsy of an EX NHL player that died? Gordie Howe recently passed and there was no call for an autopsy. He played 30 years of professional hockey. The sport did not even use helmets. Not even the damn goalies!!!

So, why is the NFL and football the only sports that get the relentless attacks when so many other sports have well documented cases of head injuries? Why aren't the MIKE GREENBERGS of the world drawing attention on that? Why isn't Bob Ley doing an OTL episode about concussions in other sports?

Here are some interesting studies for instance that just came out in regards to females and soccer.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/h...soccer-players
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-finds-n896236
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ayers-than-men
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/socce...tudy-1.4767283
    http://aaos-annualmeeting-presskit.o...ncussions_hsu/

Hardly anything reported. Not by BSPN. Why is that?

All I do know is the NFL product has sucked for a while now. This new pathetic ambiguous rule could be the death blow for me.
    Last edited by Broncoknight30; 08-21-2018 at 07:02 AM.

2. The Following User High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Take a deep breath.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Greg Dulcich

I think they are over penalizing it in the preseason so the players will get used to it. And so the refs will have a catalogue of penalties to look at and see if it's legitimate or not. It'll take some adjustment, but I don't think (hope anyway) that the regular season will be as bad as we're seeing now.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. ---- Pope John Paul II

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

We'll live.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

So far in the preseason the rule enforcement has been a joke. It's confusing and slows the game down. Add to it it's very subjective which opens the rule enforcement up to corruption. It's certainly not encouraging at all that this is the best the NFL could come up with.

8. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

If it continues through the actual season, I'd be more concerned. The ref's always throw more flags during preseason to make a point. Plus, they're in the learning stage as well on how and when to enforce.

Either way, it'd take a lot more than this for me to stop watching football.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    So far in the preseason the rule enforcement has been a joke. It's confusing and slows the game down. Add to it it's very subjective which opens the rule enforcement up to corruption. It's certainly not encouraging at all that this is the best the NFL could come up with.
    It will definitely cost some teams some games if it continues the way it has in preseason. I said it after the first preseason game that this is the first time in 40 years that im starting to consider not watching the sport any longer. Im all for safety but at some point there has to be logical understanding that this game is physical and people can and will get hurt from time to time. They may as well move to flag football just to be the absolute safest they can be, well i dont know maybe the players will hurt a fingernail or something so maybe thats out too. Lol

As for your questions about "when's the last time you've seen an NHL Player..." The NHL doesn't really have a concussion problem. It's a violent sport, but not one known for a lot of head trauma.

It's been a pretty well known fact for decades that getting punched in the head a lot is going to have negative long term impacts, it wasn't as well known in the NFL until recently.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    As for your questions about "when's the last time you've seen an NHL Player..." The NHL doesn't really have a concussion problem. It's a violent sport, but not one known for a lot of head trauma.

It's been a pretty well known fact for decades that getting punched in the head a lot is going to have negative long term impacts, it wasn't as well known in the NFL until recently.
    https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/11740291

There were 559 physician-diagnosed, regular-season, in-game concussions among NHL team players reported during the seven years of study. The mean number of concussions per year was 80, with an overall game rate of 5.8 concussions per 100 players per season (Table 1).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3091898/

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

They over do the calling in the preseason. If it looks like it but results are not there they call it. Like leading with helmet but connecting with shoulder.. Aka sack on QB but flagged this preseason . The player lowered head so they flagged it. In real games they would only call if they connect with helmet. Trying to curb they motion of lowering head IMO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Because women’s soccer and the NHL don’t own a day of the week. ESPN doesn’t do exposés on women’s soccer because no one would watch.

Is it fair? Maybe not. But the NFL makes billions of dollars, so they’re going to be put under the microscope.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Also, here’s Outside the Lines talking about concussions in the NHL, MLB and soccer:

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

MO, have you ever had a concussion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    MO, have you ever had a concussion?
    I don’t think so, slim.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Maybe we need more women players, everyone has to wear identical tutus and just throw rainbow colored towels at each other. Soft, fluffy towels. Not the rough abrasive kind. In fact, competitive sports in general.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information