Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: 2018 Denver Defense

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    You're thinking really, really small. In fact you are buying the entire NFL paradigm that teams have to "live within their revenue." No, they don't.

    The value of their franchises is constantly increasing. Thus, the share price and value of their stock is constantly going up. A corporation that is this profitable, with their FMV of the company just zooming up every year for 30 straight years, each one more profitable than the last, can do many things to raise revenue, not tied to current year earnings.

    It's a simple accounting principle. They can convert a small portion of their equity into private securities transactions or simply borrow money against future earnings or equity position. Lots of ways to structure such transactions.

    They don't want to do that, and since they are a monopoly they can force the players to accept contracts that are vastly less than their actual productive worth, when measured against the only measure that matters at all in business - their total stock value of their franchise.

    In the case of Pat Bowlen he bought the team in 1984 for $78 million and Forbes Magazine states that the Broncos are worth $2,600,000,000. That's two-billion, six-hundred million dollars for the math challenged among you.

    A total increase of over 33 times his original basis. That ladies and gents is what is called "a good investment."
    Oh trust me. I get that. When the owners were claiming they were "losing money" during that lockout a few years ago, I laughed.

    Robert Kraft bought the Pats in 1994 for $174 million. By 2009, their valuation was around $1.5 billion. That is over a 900% increase.

    Out of the top 20 most valuable franchises in ALL of sports in the WORLD in 2009, like 11 were NFL teams. Even the Jags, which is supposed to be the least valuable teams, grew over 700% in valuation from 1994 to 2009.

    However, the hard cap is still there. I personally hate the hard cap. It makes me wonder why we even care about the draft every year.

    I wish they would set up a system that would incentivize players to stay with the either the team drafted them or developed them.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell
    Posts
    8,514

    Default

    Joe Woods is almost as clueless as Vance Joseph. Not a good combination for us.

  3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:


  4. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    C Kelly
    Posts
    19,034

    Default

    i dont like talking about the Defense anymore its gotten so bad. Losing Trevathan was just the start of a long line of awful decisions to ruin the d that broke records

  5. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Posts
    3,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Joe Woods is almost as clueless as Vance Joseph. Not a good combination for us.
    I feel like the jury is still out. Joe Woods came in, and "fixed" a lot of things that Wade's defense neglected. The run defense was shored up, and the defense overall gave up fewer yards. Unfortunately, what fans and (hopefully) Woods realized, is that Wade had adapted to the NFL and fundamentally dared teams to try to win on the run alone. Most offenses are designed around the pass, and most quarterbacks get out of a rhythm if forced to hand the ball off or take short dump-offs for essentially an entire game.

    I am hoping Woods is more of a risk-taker this year, but honestly I still liked Woods better than Jack Del Rio. IMO I would say: Wade>Woods=Dennis Allen>Del Rio. Hard to blame the guy at this point for not measuring up to Wade, because that blame really belongs with Elway and Joe Ellis.

  6. #20

    Default

    Coaches coach and players make plays. Letís not forget Wade was also responsible for the historically horrible defense in Houston that the Tim Tebow led offense managed to throw for over 300 yards and score over over 30 points.

    Anyone with two eyeballs could see the talent difference on the field last year.

  7. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:


  8. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i dont like talking about the Defense anymore its gotten so bad. Losing Trevathan was just the start of a long line of awful decisions to ruin the d that broke records
    What has he done since leaving? Other than being injured, the broncos gambled on Marshall taking the next step and trevathan being injured, and they were half right, Danny hasn't been able to stay healthy but Marshall went from looking like he could be a great inside backer too a guy who looks average. He needs too be a lot more than average, cant be missing 3 assignments like last week and your a veteran.

  9. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Coaches coach and players make plays. Let’s not forget Wade was also responsible for the historically horrible defense in Houston that the Tim Tebow led offense managed to throw for over 300 yards and score over over 30 points.

    Anyone with two eyeballs could see the talent difference on the field last year.
    The whole life will never be the same without wade coaching here thing is quite funny. A lot of people have adopted this mindset and I find it hilarious. Like still to this day talking about Wade is nonsense. TheI guy is gone

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Coaches coach and players make plays. Let’s not forget Wade was also responsible for the historically horrible defense in Houston that the Tim Tebow led offense managed to throw for over 300 yards and score over over 30 points.

    Anyone with two eyeballs could see the talent difference on the field last year.
    That historically bad defense of the Texans that Tebow lit up was in 2010. Wade Philips was not there. He arrived there in 2011 to 2013. In fact, he took that historically bad defense of 2010 (ranked 30th and last in pass), to 2nd in the NFL in 2011. In his 3 seasons with the Texans, they were always ranked in the top 10.

    I believe the DC in 2010 (which is the year Tebow did that against the Texans) was Frank Bush.

  11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:


  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChubbNYiadom View Post
    The whole life will never be the same without wade coaching here thing is quite funny. A lot of people have adopted this mindset and I find it hilarious. Like still to this day talking about Wade is nonsense. TheI guy is gone
    Yeah, he is gone. Everything else that you thought was interesting with that post, was interestingly wrong.

    Interesting to me anyway.

  13. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    That historically bad defense of the Texans that Tebow lit up was in 2010. Wade Philips was not there. He arrived there in 2011 to 2013. In fact, he took that historically bad defense of 2010 (ranked 30th and last in pass), to 2nd in the NFL in 2011. In his 3 seasons with the Texans, they were always ranked in the top 10.

    I believe the DC in 2010 (which is the year Tebow did that against the Texans) was Frank Bush.
    To br fair, I think itís both. I think we lost a great coach and a lot of talent.

  14. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    To br fair, I think it’s both. I think we lost a great coach and a lot of talent.
    Partly talent. Then again you need to look at how the Rams ascended from 2016 to 2017.

    Same basic talent. In fact they changed their defense from 4-3 to a 3-4.

    This team lost some, but come on. Not that much.

  15. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Partly talent. Then again you need to look at how the Rams ascended from 2016 to 2017.

    Same basic talent. In fact they changed their defense from 4-3 to a 3-4.

    This team lost some, but come on. Not that much.
    They lost Ware, Trevaithan, Malik Jackson and Ward. Thatís a lot of talent, not to mention no production from Ray.

  16. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    They lost Ware, Trevaithan, Malik Jackson and Ward. That’s a lot of talent, not to mention no production from Ray.

    They lost Malik and Trevethan 2 years ago. The lack of production from Ray could be coaching. Not putting him in the right spots etc.
    For instance, Shane Ray had 8 sacks in 2016 under Philips. He had ONE with Woods. The Broncos were 4th in the NFL in sacks in 2016, and they did not have Malik or Trevathan. Demarcus Ware played in only 10 games and he played injured even when he was in there. I think he only had 4 sacks.

    Weird though how players productions like Ray went down with woods, while the Rams defenders went up in 2017 with Philips. The Rams as a team went from 28th in the NFL in sacks in 2016 to 4th in 2017. The Broncos went from 4th in sacks to 22nd in 2017.

    Philips makes a difference.

  17. The Following User High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:


  18. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    They lost Malik and Trevethan 2 years ago. The lack of production from Ray could be coaching. Not putting him in the right spots etc.
    For instance, Shane Ray had 8 sacks in 2016 under Philips. He had ONE with Woods. The Broncos were 4th in the NFL in sacks in 2016, and they did not have Malik or Trevathan. Demarcus Ware played in only 10 games and he played injured even when he was in there. I think he only had 4 sacks.

    Weird though how players productions like Ray went down with woods, while the Rams defenders went up in 2017 with Philips. The Rams as a team went from 28th in the NFL in sacks in 2016 to 4th in 2017. The Broncos went from 4th in sacks to 22nd in 2017.

    Philips makes a difference.
    I attributed Rays lack of production last year to injury.

    We were also in the bottom third of the league against the run in 2016, which is one of the reasons we didnít make the playoffs

  19. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    Not for nothing btw, but did anyone notice how that same Vikings team that looked like they were in midseason form against the Broncos Woods defense, looked like stale milquetoast against the Jags.

    The GREAAAT Cousins was 3 for 8 and scored 3 points in the first half.

    I know, I know. It is preseason. Yeaaah...

  20. The Following User High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 9 positions of need for Denver Broncos in 2018 NFL draft
    By admin in forum NFL News and Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2018, 12:00 AM
  2. Denver Broncos 2018 offseason moves
    By admin in forum NFL News and Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2018, 10:36 PM
  3. Denver Broncosí 2018 free agents
    By Denver Native (Carol) in forum Broncos Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group