Page 160 of 211 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3152

Thread: 2018-2019 College Football Season

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    An eight team playoff would lead to people arguing that other teams got snubbed. BUT! It would at least let us fill the bracket with deserving one loss teams.
    I’d rather have team 5 pissed off than team 3. Moreso, I’d rather have team 9 pissed off than team 5. And even more than that, I’d rather have team 17 pissed off than team 9.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That’s a terrible point and I hate when it’s made. If you don’t want Northwestern in the playoff, beat them! Make the regular season mean something. If you can’t win your conference there’s no way they should be in a four team playoff, and if you expand to 8 or 16, conference champs deserve to be there, regardless of record.
    Why is it terrible to have the best teams get in and not reward someone who is only in because the conference they are in? By putting the best teams in you are making the regular season mean something because the best teams are getting it. The regular season meaning something isn't tied conferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Why is it terrible to have the best teams get in and not reward someone who is only in because the conference they are in? By putting the best teams in you are making the regular season mean something because the best teams are getting it. The regular season meaning something isn't tied conferences.
    Then why do we even have conferences?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Then why do we even have conferences?
    For a basic organizational structure. Logistical purposes.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

That’s a terrible point and I hate when it’s made. If you don’t want Northwestern in the playoff, beat them! Make the regular season mean something. If you can’t win your conference there’s no way they should be in a four team playoff, and if you expand to 8 or 16, conference champs deserve to be there, regardless of record.
    Letting conference champs in would make the regular season meaningless if you can lose 4 games in the regular season and still get in because you were in a bad division and had one fluke win. I think they should get rid of conference title games, give the 5 regular season champs auto bids, and use that extra week for the extra playoff round. That makes every regular season game EXTREMELY important.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

For a basic organizational structure. Logistical purposes.
    If they are a must for organization they are a must for playoff structure if it expands. Win your conference.

If they are a must for organization they are a must for playoff structure if it expands. Win your conference.
    Why does that logic follow?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Letting conference champs in would make the regular season meaningless if you can lose 4 games in the regular season and still get in because you were in a bad division and had one fluke win. I think they should get rid of conference title games, give the 5 regular season champs auto bids, and use that extra week for the extra playoff round. That makes every regular season game EXTREMELY important.
    I’m Ok with that. But if we insist that we have five power conferences, you let the conference decide how it wants to determine its champion, and that champion, regardless of who it is must be in any expanded playoff. Otherwise, conferences are meaningless.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The only other option would be to combine those conferences with other big ones. So then teams like North Texas would be forced to play in a division with either OSU or LSU which then would mean they would never sniff the playoffs because of the lack of talent that they get versus the other teams. Teams like UCF or North Texas are nice stories but when you start to pit them against the big dogs they fall short so i agree with the notion simply adding them because they won their conference is not a very good one because year in, year out they dont play anybody and if they do they generally lose big. At least by combining them you at least force them to HAVE to play some big dogs to prove their worth.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Why does that logic follow?
    Why does it follow? Because the coalition determining these bowls is made up of conferences, therefore conferences are clearly needed and a conference championship means something to that.

Why does it follow? Because the coalition determining these bowls is made up of conferences, therefore conferences are clearly needed and a conference championship means something to that.
    Could we not argue that we'd just keep that structure now for ease and rivalries while also focusing on the best teams making it? A true meritocracy is what we are shooting for, no?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Could we not argue that we'd just keep that structure now for ease and rivalries while also focusing on the best teams making it? A true meritocracy is what we are shooting for, no?
    A true meritocracy includes winning your conference, so I guess I wouldn't disagree.

A true meritocracy includes winning your conference, so I guess I wouldn't disagree.
    I don't think that works. It feels like the argument is winning your conference means you won it so you're good. But that's not really true and we see it today.

Out with the old, fam.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don't think that works. It feels like the argument is winning your conference means you won it so you're good. But that's not really true and we see it today.

Out with the old, fam.
    I think if you expand the playoffs, you rid the world of conference championship games, rendering your fears moot, anyway. The fear of Northwestern being in the playoff, which I believe is a dumb fear but nevertheless a fear of some, is based on the current conference structure where championship games are played. That's negated if you expand the playoffs and eliminate championship games. I think this is a fair compromise and better than rendering conference achievement meaningless in an expanded playoff when it should become more meaningful because the field of teams is expanding.

As someone who just doesn't want to see the same four teams every year, I WANT to see Northwestern or Utah or Pitt get in. It's exactly what makes college basketball so great and the end of the college football season so bland.

17. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yeah I think you pretty much have to get rid of conference title games for auto bids to work. At least in an 8 team field. If you go to 16 you could probably get away with conference title games, but I'd still just as soon see them go.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information