Page 159 of 211 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3152

Thread: 2018-2019 College Football Season

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    What's the alternative? Go back to the BCS and have just bama and Clemson year after year? The consistently good teams are going to rise to the top year after year regardless of how the postseason works. That's not a flaw of the playoff. It's just how college football is.
    Indeed. If anything just expand it to the top 8 teams for the playoffs, no need to go back in my opinion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Indeed. If anything just expand it to the top 8 teams for the playoffs, no need to go back in my opinion.
    Yeah they for sure need to go to 8.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

16. All conference champs and five at large. Make the regular season mean something, contrary to what they always tell us.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don't think 5 group of 5 teams need to be in the playoffs. Then you just get a week of shitty games in the first round. Expanding to 8 still gives your deserving league of 5 teams like UCF a chance without doing something pointless like putting in a MAC or Sun Belt team that will lose by 40 to Alabama in the first round. I wouldn't even mind 16, but no way I want 5 of those teams being shitty teams who will get killed in the first round. And before you bring up the basketball argument, it's totally different. Any team can get hot from 3 and pull an upset or even string together a few wins in the tournament. Given the difference in size and speed of the teams like Bama and Clemson and even the best team in the Sun Belt, it would be nearly impossible to ever see an upset in those games.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Wave, for sake of argument, what about expanding to six with byes for the top two seeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Big 5 plus 3 at large.

Thats what im thinking as well. The pundits keep pointing to ND's undefeated record but UCF is also undefeated and wont even sniff the top 4 so im not sure why ND should be rewarded for a weak schedule compared to the others. I also think that Georgia is a better all around team than OU but because of Georgia's loss to Bama they will most likely be left out of the equation while ND gets in which is kind of a sham unfortunately.
    Well, ND usually plays a harder schedule and at least went through a murderer's row. UFC is riding the wave of 'we've never been given a shot' but ND rides the wave of "we are given shots' and usually do well.

I honestly wish ND would have played UCF because that's a game the Golden Domers win.

I'm not mad at the point, though. There is something to be said for "Well, Georgia would probably have won other conferences." But to me, we've also seen those SEC powerhouses get in with one loss because of where they play. It just cuts both ways sometimes.

In defense of OU, OU is thought to be good enough to contend with anyone. And, they've beaten some great teams in the past few years. I think, and this might be someone who is new to caring about the sport again, that whether we admit it or not, we look to prior years, too. That's how Alabama got in with one loss, which goes back to the SEC getting teams in because it's the SEC.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    16. All conference champs and five at large. Make the regular season mean something, contrary to what they always tell us.
    Wouldnt hurt my feelings but i can settle for at least 8.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...our-125740392/

FiveThirtyEight's updated algorithm, following Saturday's conference championship game results, is predicting the Fighting Irish will be left out of the final four in favor of one-loss Oklahoma and Ohio State, two teams who impressed during the final weekend with double-digit wins over nationally-ranked opponents.

Based on selection committee protocol and "championships won" being a separation method when teams are grouped in a cluster, the Irish (12-0) not playing on the season's final weekend will be detrimental to Notre Dame's Playoff bid, the algorithm suggests.

As it stands, Notre Dame has a 62 percent to reach the Playoff, according to FiveThirtyEight's algorithm while fifth and sixth-ranked Oklahoma and Ohio State come in at 72 percent and 66 percent, respectfully.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Well, ND usually plays a harder schedule and at least went through a murderer's row. UFC is riding the wave of 'we've never been given a shot' but ND rides the wave of "we are given shots' and usually do well.

I honestly wish ND would have played UCF because that's a game the Golden Domers win.

I'm not mad at the point, though. There is something to be said for "Well, Georgia would probably have won other conferences." But to me, we've also seen those SEC powerhouses get in with one loss because of where they play. It just cuts both ways sometimes.

In defense of OU, OU is thought to be good enough to contend with anyone. And, they've beaten some great teams in the past few years. I think, and this might be someone who is new to caring about the sport again, that whether we admit it or not, we look to prior years, too. That's how Alabama got in with one loss, which goes back to the SEC getting teams in because it's the SEC.
    Dont get me wrong, i think ND deserves to be in the playoffs i just hate the fact that Georgia, OU, and OSU (and even UCF) get snubbed. I just hate the argument that ND is undefeated means they automatically belong when UCF doesnt even get a consideration for the same reasoning. I know the playoff system will never be perfect and i know we generally have the same discussions every year but i do think at least moving to 8 teams before having a drop off (as Wave pointed out) seems like a reasonable option.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...our-125740392/

FiveThirtyEight's updated algorithm, following Saturday's conference championship game results, is predicting the Fighting Irish will be left out of the final four in favor of one-loss Oklahoma and Ohio State, two teams who impressed during the final weekend with double-digit wins over nationally-ranked opponents.

Based on selection committee protocol and "championships won" being a separation method when teams are grouped in a cluster, the Irish (12-0) not playing on the season's final weekend will be detrimental to Notre Dame's Playoff bid, the algorithm suggests.

As it stands, Notre Dame has a 62 percent to reach the Playoff, according to FiveThirtyEight's algorithm while fifth and sixth-ranked Oklahoma and Ohio State come in at 72 percent and 66 percent, respectfully.
    So are they assuming that 2 loss Georgia will be out as well? Are they saying OU and OSU get in over ND? I can understand one of them but dont really seeing both OU and OSU getting in but stranger things have happened.

18. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

I think the logic is that one of those two get in.

Alabama and Clemson have to get in. Past that it be what it be.

Georgia is not sympathetic, though.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...es-challenges/
    The reason Georgia ranks so low has to do with factors the Dawgs have some control over, and some they don't. The nonconference slate isn't special. There's the rivalry game with Georgia Tech as well as games against Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee and UMass. That's not all that different from most other SEC teams, but Georgia gets dragged down by playing in the East and not having Georgia on its schedule to boost its SOS. Still, they will have to face both LSU and Auburn out of the West, so it's important to remember that all of these rankings are relative. If Georgia is in the SEC title game again this year, it's going to have a playoff case.

So, for the 'Dawgs, they have a softer schedule this year and choke away a win against Alabama?

Georgia over ND is ******y I shall not abide by!

20. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Dont get me wrong, i think ND deserves to be in the playoffs i just hate the fact that Georgia, OU, and OSU (and even UCF) get snubbed. I just hate the argument that ND is undefeated means they automatically belong when UCF doesnt even get a consideration for the same reasoning. I know the playoff system will never be perfect and i know we generally have the same discussions every year but i do think at least moving to 8 teams before having a drop off (as Wave pointed out) seems like a reasonable option.
    An eight team playoff would lead to people arguing that other teams got snubbed. BUT! It would at least let us fill the bracket with deserving one loss teams.

22. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Big 5 plus 3 at large.
    I used to be on board with this but I heard a compelling argument the other day why an 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids for the conference champs is a bad idea. You would have things like a shitty northwestern team that was in a bad division with a shot to upset Ohio State and make the playoffs. Then you have a team that isn't even close to being one of the 8 best teams getting into the playoffs. I think they would have to extend it to 16 before I would be comfortable with giving conference champs auto bids. Then you still have plenty of room for every decent 1 and 2 loss team to get an at large bid.

24. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I used to be on board with this but I heard a compelling argument the other day why an 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids for the conference champs is a bad idea. You would have things like a shitty northwestern team that was in a bad division with a shot to upset Ohio State and make the playoffs. Then you have a team that isn't even close to being one of the 8 best teams getting into the playoffs. I think they would have to extend it to 16 before I would be comfortable with giving conference champs auto bids. Then you still have plenty of room for every decent 1 and 2 loss team to get an at large bid.
    That’s a terrible point and I hate when it’s made. If you don’t want Northwestern in the playoff, beat them! Make the regular season mean something. If you can’t win your conference there’s no way they should be in a four team playoff, and if you expand to 8 or 16, conference champs deserve to be there, regardless of record.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information