Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB

Except for Manning, Elway has always pursued QBs that are the exact opposite of who he was coming out of college. He was hailed as a potential HoFer before his name was called by Rozelle on draft day, but he keeps drafting developmental projects every time he picks someone who’s supposed to be our QB of the future. Oz was understandable because we had Manning, but why did he draft Lynch when our only QBs I recall being on our roster after Oz left for big bucks with the Texans was Sanchez & Siemian. I know I'm not as smart as Elway, but I was really hoping for a QB of the future who would be ready sooner rather than later.

So why does he keep doing this? I’ve been quietly theorizing for a while that, although he has too much class to bash Reeves in public for rushing him in to the starting lineup before he was ready, I think he know that him getting benched after debacles in his 1st 5 games gave him the time to sit under a veteran like he needed to in the 1st place. With so many of the top 2 or 3 QBs expecting to be handed the starting job before they report to their 1st training camp, and their teams seemingly bringing in FAs that are as bad as they need to be to make sure that happens, I wonder if Elway is deliberately selecting guys who are willing to sit behind a veteran that will teach them how to play the game. He trying to find a Rodgers, not a Newton.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

2. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

I'm not sure what his motivation for drafting developmental prospects are but he sure as hell does it, Elway knew Damn well even if Lynch panned out it would take 4-5 year's. He said it in the past and he said it recently about Lynch.

Just stay healthy and perform Case!

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbNYiadom View Post
    I'm not sure what his motivation for drafting developmental prospects are but he sure as hell does it, Elway knew Damn well even if Lynch panned out it would take 4-5 year's. He said it in the past and he said it recently about Lynch.
    lmao . lynch was a 3 year prospect. funny how it now goes to 4-5 years.

times up.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Just stay healthy and perform Case!
    Again, this is the exact opposite of who he was coming out of college. He only sat 5 games before becoming the starter again after DeBerg when down with a shoulder separation, not 4 or 5 years.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Again, this is the exact opposite of who he was coming out of college. He only sat 5 games before becoming the starter again after DeBerg when down with a shoulder separation, not 4 or 5 years.
    They only ran about 10 play's at Memphis and he excelled, totally different in the pro's though where he's struggling obviously. His scouting report for the pro's was 4 year's, not entering college, nobody can afford to sit 4 year's in college.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

times up.
    Maybe in a perfect scenario where he's in the same offense for the last two year's. Tell John that the times up because he clearly wont write him off yet. I've written him off and never even viewed Kelly asa factor. Both are terrible.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

times up.
    I'd swear you're wrong, but I just did a special Google search, "elway on paxton lynch," and adjust the search range from April 28, 2016 (the night we drafted him) - August 31, 2016 (the end of his rookie training camp): https://www.google.com/search?q=elwa...31%2F2016&tbm=

I can't find an article in which Elway made a definitive statement about Lynch defiantly sitting for multiple years. In fact, he even said in some of them that everyone would be given a chance to compete for the starter his 1st season. Whether or not that was a smoke screen, the fact a quick search of articles from the time period is going to provide us the answer. If either of you want to go through every one of the articles in the Google search link in order to settle this debate, knock yourselves out.

Elway literally just said during the post draft interview that (we knew it would take some time with Paxton) when asked about not drafting a single quarterback. He also mentioned Chad Kelly as a guy they wanted too see as well. This is facts. You aren't going too find a link for everything John has said.

I'm not going searching for every post draft interview, but I know I seen him say that.
    Last edited by ChubbNYiadom; 08-11-2018 at 02:14 AM.

Giving him a chance to compete for the starting job in year one and two was wishful thinking bro. Paxton was never going to beat out anybody for no starting job the last two year's, we pretty much should have just handed him the key's and let ugly be ugly hoping that accelerated the huge learning curve or brung in a veteran and just let him sit which is what we're doing with Case.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Elway literally just said during the post draft interview that (we knew it would take some time with Paxton) when asked about not drafting a single quarterback. He also mentioned Chad Kelly as a guy they wanted too see as well. This is facts. You aren't going too find a link for everything John has said.

I'm not going searching for every post draft interview, but I know I seen him say that.
    Giving him a chance to compete for the starting job in year one and two was wishful thinking bro. Paxton was never going to beat out anybody for no starting job the last two year's, we pretty much should have just handed him the key's and let ugly be ugly hoping that accelerated the huge learning curve or brung in a veteran and just let him sit which is what we're doing with Case.
    My previous post was directed 1st & foremost at Shane, whom I have a history with. There were many times in the past that a chain reaction of responses & counter responses between us resulted in me failing to meet my expectations for how I should interact with others. So my main object was to disengage him in a debate that had no chance of having a fruitful outcome.

Furthermore, I'm sure you've noticed by now the references to my Autism/Asperger's next to my avatar & in my sig line. Just as a blind person will develop increased abilities in the other senses, so any part of the mind &/or body sick or injuries will be compensated for with increased abilities in others. My executive functioning impairments (such as struggling with organizational skills, problem solving through typical means, etc.) are compensated for with superior abilities for memorization of facts. Nevertheless, “perfect recall” is a bunch of Hollywood non-sense. And when you consider that what I’m confident is true about the expectation of Lynch is identical to that of his predecessor, Oz, I have to consider the possibility that I’m getting the 2 mix up. It wouldn’t be the 1st time this happened, nor would it be the last. I’ve fact knowledge when I’ve come to the realization that I’ve made such errors on this board on many occasions.

All that being said, I am extremely confident that my ability to accurately remember facts of this nature may be superior to anyone on this message board, even though it’s not worth the effort to prove it to those who will never admit that they’re wrong about anything.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Last i checked Denver had a problem Drafting QBs for the last 40 years before Elway even threw a pass for the Broncos.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post

My previous post was directed 1st & foremost at Shane, whom I have a history with. There were many times in the past that a chain reaction of responses & counter responses between us resulted in me failing to meet my expectations for how I should interact with others. So my main object was to disengage him in a debate that had no chance of having a fruitful outcome.

Furthermore, I'm sure you've noticed by now the references to my Autism/Asperger's next to my avatar & in my sig line. Just as a blind person will develop increased abilities in the other senses, so any part of the mind &/or body sick or injuries will be compensated for with increased abilities in others. My executive functioning impairments (such as struggling with organizational skills, problem solving through typical means, etc.) are compensated for with superior abilities for memorization of facts. Nevertheless, “perfect recall” is a bunch of Hollywood non-sense. And when you consider that what I’m confident is true about the expectation of Lynch is identical to that of his predecessor, Oz, I have to consider the possibility that I’m getting the 2 mix up. It wouldn’t be the 1st time this happened, nor would it be the last. I’ve fact knowledge when I’ve come to the realization that I’ve made such errors on this board on many occasions.

All that being said, I am extremely confident that my ability to accurately remember facts of this nature may be superior to anyone on this message board, even though it’s not worth the effort to prove it to those who will never admit that they’re wrong about anything.
    Do NOT use your reactions to Shane as a benchmark of your mental state!

The root of Elway's problems finding a QB is that it's difficult finding a QB, especially when you draft in the 20's most years.

Teams like the Jets have been searching for one since Joe Namath, the Bears, since Sid Luckman. You just have to keep trying different guys and hope you eventually get lucky.

17. The Following 6 Users High Fived Tangerine For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    The root of Elway's problems finding a QB is that it's difficult finding a QB, especially when you draft in the 20's most years.

Teams like the Jets have been searching for one since Joe Namath, the Bears, since Sid Luckman. You just have to keep trying different guys and hope you eventually get lucky.
    Its not just that though, its the types of QB's drafting as well. Many are projects which doesnt help his cause.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

To play Devils Advocate tho, how many top tier highly touted and highly paid QBs never made it

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information