Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    The root of Elway's problems finding a QB is that it's difficult finding a QB, especially when you draft in the 20's most years.

Teams like the Jets have been searching for one since Joe Namath, the Bears, since Sid Luckman. You just have to keep trying different guys and hope you eventually get lucky.
    Basically this. Elway only came to the Broncos because they were horrible in 1982 and had the #4 pick of the draft, but Baltimore had the #1 pick and Elway refused to play for Irsay and joined the NY Yankees farm team. He was ready to walk and stay out of football for a year and re-enter the draft again the next year or never - he was willing to stay in baseball, forcing a trade.

And the Colts only got Andrew Luck because Manning got hurt, and the rest of their team was so horrible they lost 14 games and got the #1 pick, after firing both their coach and GM, right at the exact time that the best QB prospect since Peyton entered the NFL draft.

Other than something blind obvious like Luck, or other highly touted prospects (Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers, etc.) you have to get lucky. Sometimes you draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, and sometimes you wind up with Brock Osweiler in the 2nd.

There's just no way to know in advance. If there was Russell Wilson would have been the first or second pick of the draft, not fallen to the third round. Dak Prescott would have been drafted in the first, not the 4th round, Drew Brees would never have fallen to the 2nd round, Jimmy Grapolo would not have gone with the 62nd pick of the 2nd round, Aaron Rogers would never have fallen to #24, and of course, Tom Brady would never have lasted till the 6th round!

First, he picked Osweiler. Then Osweiler played well enough that everybody thought he might be very good, then he went to Houston, leaving the Broncos with NO future QB.

Then they drafted the best QB available to them, they had zero shot at either Goff or Wentz, they took the 3rd QB. After Paxton was drafted #26, the Jets drafted Christian Hackenburg, #51, and Patriots drafted Jacoby Brissett #91 in the third round. All these teams passed on Prescott multiple times.

So, it's not stone obvious from the start that Lynch couldn't play. It's only in retrospect that we see it for the colossal blunder and waste of two seasons it actually was.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    To play Devils Advocate tho, how many top tier highly touted and highly paid QBs never made it
    Well yes.

But he isn’t even lucky.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

To play Devils Advocate tho, how many top tier highly touted and highly paid QBs never made it
    How many highly touted QBs have been drafted by train wrecks, like the Browns?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    How many highly touted QBs have been drafted by train wrecks, like the Browns?
    ...but they were wrecked by a putrid organization. Like David Carr when he was in Houston for example. His confidence was shattered and he was shellshocked from the beating he took. Sometimes its the circumstances.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

...but they were wrecked by a putrid organization. Like David Carr when he was in Houston for example. His confidence was shattered and he was shellshocked from the beating he took. Sometimes its the circumstances.
    That was my point.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

6. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

He's just bad at finding QB's. They're hard to find, but he's also bad at it. He's better in FA than he is at drafting, and he's an average drafter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

He may have found one...

9. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

He may have found one...
    Kelly would be such an awesome story, man.

FFS, redemption stories are one of the most American things ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He's just bad at finding QB's. They're hard to find, but he's also bad at it. He's better in FA than he is at drafting, and he's an average drafter.
    He's certainly made horrible draft day decisions in the past (Lynch, Montee Ball, Sylvester Williams, Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield, Carlos Henderson, Cody Latimer) to name a few.

But, he's also made some decent picks. Even David Williams, his 7th round RB is looking like he can play in this league and will undoubtedly find a team if the Broncos cut him.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB

....teams don't just cut Hall of Fame quarterbacks like they used to.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB

....teams don't just cut Hall of Fame quarterbacks like they used to.
    Its more than that. See Lynch BS

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Sure...Elway is bad a finding qb’s at the spots they were picking. In order the get the guys you all want they would have given away the farm. Outside the top 2-3 in every draft they are all projects. Very very few blossom into studs outside of the top dogs.

Time will tell if they should have taken one this year instead of Chubb.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Sure...Elway is bad a finding qb’s at the spots they were picking. In order the get the guys you all want they would have given away the farm. Outside the top 2-3 in every draft they are all projects. Very very few blossom into studs outside of the top dogs.

Time will tell if they should have taken one this year instead of Chubb.
    Rosen and Allen were available. Im just saying.

Allen looked solid in his first game experience.

Rosen not so much and it was said that Rosen was the most NFL ready. You just never know sometimes.

However there's a lot of football to be played before determining whose what. Chubb will be one of the greats but until we find a franchise quarterback we're going to have that cloud over our head's. The elite quarterback is the best way too be relevant year in year out for contention.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Well yes.

But he isn’t even lucky.
    One could argue that he is lucky, because Manning fell in his lap.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

20. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information