Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The truth about the 2018 Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I wouldn't hire King to clean my toilet.
    Punter King, or BF King?

When I first saw this thread I thought we were drawing straws for our beloved resident poster.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Yeah, we whiffed big time by not hiring Kyle Shanahan and retaining Wade. I want to let this go but I just can't.
    The worst part is that I think Shanahan didn't get the job in part because he wanted a new QB and no part of Paxton Lynch/Trevor Siemian and Joseph was like a grateful puppy who would lick Elway's hand and say "Oh, boy! Paxton is your guy? Sure thing! Paxton is tall."

He wanted more of an independent direction than Elway wanted to give. He wanted more of a "yes" man who would do what the "organization" i.e. Elway wanted. Shanahan would have wanted to hire his own coaches (although he would have wanted to keep Wade).

But, Billy Musgrave would NOT have been the OC. Shanahan is his own coordinator and calls all the plays himself, and Elway wanted to keep Musgrave and promote Joe Woods. He also did not want to pay Wade a new contract (Woods was cheaper), and Shanahan the most lucrative contract in the league.
    Former NFL executive Michael Lombardi joined The Ringer’s NFL podcast and told us something new about head coach Kyle Shanahan: He has no offset language in his contract.

“There’s no offset clause in your contract, which is significant in the NFL,” Lombardi said as part of a larger topic. “Which means if Kyle Shanahan gets fired in year two, he gets all his money and can double dip, which is unheard of in the NFL.”

Jim Tomsula had offset language in his contract, and now he’s being paid to coach defensive line for the Redskins. Let’s say Washington is paying him $800,000 and the 49ers owed him $3 million. The offset language means Jed York would pay Tomsula $2.2 million instead. It’s language that is in nearly every NFL contract, including players. It’s advantageous for ownership to have these clauses to save money.

So while Shanahan was insistent at his opening press conference that he didn’t demand full control of the roster or other football operations leverage points, he did make sure he set himself up with the sweetest contract in the league.

“I’ve been in a lot of different organizations and there’s lots of things that I believe are important to consistently win and to be able to talk to Jed realistically where we thought the team was at and where we thought it could go and to not hold anything back and to see how he reacted and to understand his commitment,” Shanahan said at his opening presser. “When a guy is committed and gives you a six-year contract and shows that he’s willing to give you some time.”

It probably forced York to bite his knuckles in private room, but after ridding himself of three coaches in three seasons, the CEO had to expect ridiculous contract demands from arguably the most qualified coaching candidate on the market.
    That means Shanahan basically has a 6 year guaranteed contract. They can fire him before 6 years, but if they do, they will pay him the full value of his contract, PLUS he can go out and get another coaching job AND what he gets from that new job will NOT offset what he is owed by the Broncos!
    '
    He can "double-dip" which as the article points out "is unheard of in the NFL" for obvious reasons. If you fire your coach and somebody else hires him, they don't want to have to still pay him for another 3 years or something. And with Shanahan they will. It's a big risk.

And one Elway was unwilling to pay. But, Shanahan turns into a top NFL coach (which it looks like he will) then it was a big mistake, because you'd want to keep him around for 6 years anyway and you just didn't hire him because you were being cheap and unwilling to take a chance.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Punter King, or BF King?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Yes.
    LoL!

7. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm glad this first game went so poorly overall. Reset expectations. Light a fire. Got a weird vibe about Broncos leadership I don't like. Like everything good recently was all PFM. I don't like this feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm glad this first game went so poorly overall. Reset expectations. Light a fire. Got a weird vibe about Broncos leadership I don't like. Like everything good recently was all PFM. I don't like this feeling.
    The team will gel.

11. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Kinda Glad they got bashed last night. Too much hype out of camp. Lynch gotta go. He’s still a project and light may never come on. Time to cut bait. Kelly is a way better qb then Lynch already. And boy does he got some swagger. A long way to go but great start.
    Great to see IM get that punt return to given him some confidence. I’m not in the camp of cutting a rookie with that kind of talent because he had a bad first year.
    Lots to work on before the Seahawks but feeling optimistic about a turnaround season.

13. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    The team will gel.
    We said that in 2008 Lol
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information