Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Playmaker' Chad Kelly needs No. 2 reps sooner, not later

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    They haven't had as much talent deep on the roster as now. For instance, 7 draft picks could easily make this roster. The TE group is an example. Jeff Heurman might actually be the worst TE on the roster, but as the veteran he's almost certain to make it. Yet he has never been a proven player so how can they just roll with 3 TEs?

The WR group is much more talented than in years past and it's not just Courtland Sutton either.

The RBs are similar. Phillip Lindsay and David Williams are probably better than Devontae Booker (who seems to the be 1 RB who hasn't impressed in camp so far), but they are deep down on the depth chart. Will they keep 5 RBs? If not then who will they cut?

I am in favor of cutting Paxton immediately and keeping Chad Kelly on the 53, but that is just not likely because of Elway's idiot fixation with "his" draft pick.

But, if they keep 3 QBs they are going to be sacrificing real talent elsewhere on the roster.

It would probably mean getting rid of FB Andy Janovich for instance, because they need to keep 4 TEs (since none of them is an established veteran with proven ability).

In short it's a numbers game, and they can't keep 3 QBs without real sacrifice elsewhere and losing a really valuable player in order to keep Paxton Lynch who is completely and totally useless.

Elway's idiocy may force them to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but probably in that case they will pick up a veteran in FA and cut Chad Kelly and try to sneak him through waivers onto the practice squad.

I am NOT in favor of that, and most Broncos fans will be angry if they do it, but that's what it looks like happening because VJ cannot go into the season with Paxton as his only backup QB.

NOt if he wants to keep his job if Keenum gets hurt for a couple of weeks.
    I kind of agree, keeping 3 quarterbacks might not be an option this year, Kelly is going to end up on the practice squad because your back-up cannot have zero experience.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbNYiadom View Post
    I kind of agree, keeping 3 quarterbacks might not be an option this year, Kelly is going to end up on the practice squad because your back-up cannot have zero experience.
    He wouldn't make it to the PS if he's actually our 2nd best performing QB because someone would grab him as soon as we cut him. Even if he does, another team will take as soon as their starter goes down & they need another emergency QB. The only way we would be able to stop another team from doing that is to immediately put him on the active roster. Remember, PS players are not protected and are therefore fair game for the other 31 teams.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    He wouldn't make it to the PS if he's actually our 2nd best performing QB because someone would grab him as soon as we cut him. Even if he does, another team will take as soon as their starter goes down & they need another emergency QB. The only way we would be able to stop another team from doing that is to immediately put him on the active roster. Remember, PS players are not protected and are therefore fair game for the other 31 teams.
    He's not performing the 2nd best though, and I'm sure hell make it through waivers, the league knows Kelly isn't doing much of anything and he's facing nothing but camp fodder.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

He's not performing the 2nd best though, and I'm sure hell make it through waivers, the league knows Kelly isn't doing much of anything and he's facing nothing but camp fodder.
    On that, I have no basis to form an opinion. Residing here in AZ, the only thing I know about what's happening in TC is what all of you are telling me, although 1 individual has a long established track record of not having a shred of objectivity when it comes to assessing his favorite players. Being that you're new here, I'll leave it up to you to figure out who I'm referring to.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

5. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The Broncos have always had 3 QBs on the active roster.
    Untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

7. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    He is?
    Lynch has more physical talent than Kelly by far if were being honest and unbiased, Case is clearly the most all around talented quarterback on the roster from a mental and physical aspect, plus he's 200% dedicated and emotionally invested to the game. If Lynch had those traits he'd be elite but he doesn't so he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Kelly was slated to be an early round pick for a reason. The issue isn't what he is physically capable of. The issue isn't even what he's cognitively capable of regarding football smarts. It's maturity, and arguably leadership. He's busted his ass just to get back to square one, and he doesn't act like he is entitled to anything, so those are good signs. He's easily the most gifted of the bunch. Lynch has a lot of talent, but he's so mentally frail at this point that a lot of it is negated. Which is a shame because the kid was a real prospect at one point. Oh well.

Keenum is the typical underdog story for a reason.
    I don't recall many people having Kelly as a high draft pick. If he was truly that gifted I doubt he last to the final pick of the entire draft. Kelly went about where he shoulda went, a 7th round flyer on a kid who had a nice arm and nothing else going for him.

10. The Following User High Fived ChubbNYiadom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Using keystrokes on Paxton Lynch is like being abandoned without air in the infinite void of space and organizing your calendar for the next day.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

:suffocating:

:cold:

dead

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The Broncos have always had 3 QBs on the active roster.
    They haven't had as much talent deep on the roster as now. For instance, 7 draft picks could easily make this roster. The TE group is an example. Jeff Heurman might actually be the worst TE on the roster, but as the veteran he's almost certain to make it. Yet he has never been a proven player so how can they just roll with 3 TEs?

The WR group is much more talented than in years past and it's not just Courtland Sutton either.

The RBs are similar. Phillip Lindsay and David Williams are probably better than Devontae Booker (who seems to the be 1 RB who hasn't impressed in camp so far), but they are deep down on the depth chart. Will they keep 5 RBs? If not then who will they cut?

I am in favor of cutting Paxton immediately and keeping Chad Kelly on the 53, but that is just not likely because of Elway's idiot fixation with "his" draft pick.

But, if they keep 3 QBs they are going to be sacrificing real talent elsewhere on the roster.

It would probably mean getting rid of FB Andy Janovich for instance, because they need to keep 4 TEs (since none of them is an established veteran with proven ability).

In short it's a numbers game, and they can't keep 3 QBs without real sacrifice elsewhere and losing a really valuable player in order to keep Paxton Lynch who is completely and totally useless.

Elway's idiocy may force them to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but probably in that case they will pick up a veteran in FA and cut Chad Kelly and try to sneak him through waivers onto the practice squad.

I am NOT in favor of that, and most Broncos fans will be angry if they do it, but that's what it looks like happening because VJ cannot go into the season with Paxton as his only backup QB.

NOt if he wants to keep his job if Keenum gets hurt for a couple of weeks.
    Elway is an idiot now?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Or, Elway know that its harder to develop QBs, and so he not going to put 1 on the PS that another team can steal at a moments notice because doing so would be a complete waist of the time and effort put into developing that QB.

Remember, back up QBs got their respective teams to the NFCCG last year, the winner of which then led his team to a SB championship. The year before, a 2nd & 3rd string QBs led the Patriots to a 3-1 start during Brady's suspension. The year before that, we got terrible play for almost the entire season from our QB position on our way to the SB championship. 3 consecutive years of conclusive proof that a teams success doesn't have to be solely dependent on your starting QB. If you can get serviceable play from a QB with great teammates to pick up the slack, you can win SBs. So yes, having 3 QBs so you can have a viable emergency response plan (like the last 3 SB winners had) to go along with a potentially elite D makes a lot of seance to me.

As far as using the spot to shore up another position, again, its easier to find a serviceable player at any of the positions that you list in FA (such as a 4th string TE that you mentioned) then it is to find a serviceable QB to take over if your starter gets injured.
    I think this is where we're really at. It is harder to develop quarterbacks and given what has happened over the past few years with back up quarterbacks that's ample reason to keep three. Even if one of the two back ups was just killing it in camp Denver still wouldn't go into season with just two quarterbacks on the roster. I think it's highly doubtful that Denver will hold onto four tight ends. It's more likely we'll have three tight ends to go along with six wide receivers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

If Denver likes what they see in Kelly I don't end up on the practice squad. Another team could come in claim Kelly off of the practice squad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I think this is where we're really at. It is harder to develop quarterbacks and given what has happened over the past few years with back up quarterbacks that's ample reason to keep three. Even if one of the two back ups was just killing it in camp Denver still wouldn't go into season with just two quarterbacks on the roster. I think it's highly doubtful that Denver will hold onto four tight ends. It's more likely we'll have three tight ends to go along with six wide receivers.
    So we are in 100% agreement in our assessment of the situation, we just disagree about the solution.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Is he really beating out Lynch or is some reporter's and fans bias? Because after 8 days of camp Kelly is still #3, and if he was so great then surely he'd force himself into the #2 spot.
    Gumby could beat out Lynch.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

20. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Lynch has more physical talent than Kelly by far if were being honest and unbiased, Case is clearly the most all around talented quarterback on the roster from a mental and physical aspect, plus he's 200% dedicated and emotionally invested to the game. If Lynch had those traits he'd be elite but he doesn't so he sucks.
    Not even close. Lynch's accuracy is more than suspect. If it weren't for Tebow, I'd say his accuracy is about the worst I've seen suit up for Denver. He's dumb at a smart man position. What did he get on his Wonderlic? 18? How did that rank? 12.5 is guessing! I'm plenty unbiased. We wasted draft picks, that's with an s. High picks on Lynch. It is time to move on.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information