Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Playmaker' Chad Kelly needs No. 2 reps sooner, not later

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Default 'Playmaker' Chad Kelly needs No. 2 reps sooner, not later

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ter-120438407/

The Denver Broncos can dance around the topic all they want. I refuse to.
    Chad Kelly has earned second-string quarterback snaps. Now. Period.
    He hasn't had the most head-turning training camp, no. He's not fully polished or perhaps merely halfway refined. He's a former seventh-round draft pick coming off multiple surgeries and yet to take a single meaningful snap in the NFL.
    But Kelly is also something that his competitor, Paxton Lynch, isn't.
    “He’s a playmaker. He’s always been a playmaker," Broncos head coach Vance Joseph said. "You watch his college tape two years ago, he just makes plays. It doesn’t always look pretty, but he just makes plays.”
    This reputation was on display Sunday during the first scrimmage of camp. With Case Keenum and the starting offense floundering, and Lynch wholly unimpressive if not calamitous, Kelly entered with the threes and immediately brought a spark, completing a pair of beautifully-thrown touchdown passes to Jordan Leslie and Mark Chapman, respectively. He even sacrificed himself on a downfield block for running back De'Angelo Henderson during an ensuing "series."
    I'm fully aware it's practice, and deducing anything based on 12 plays between third-stringers is a fool's errand. But I also know that Kelly's effort was undeniable. What he put on tape was unmistakably thought-provoking, forcing an admission from those seemingly stacking the deck against him.
    “Chad looked good," said Joseph. "I think he threw two touchdowns within five plays. Yeah, he looked good.”

Joseph, entering a do-or-die second season, has preached competition -- over and over and over. The Broncos say the best man, either Lynch or Kelly, will back up Keenum when real football rolls around. But if it appears like they want Lynch, their 2016 first-round choice, to win the job ... well, that's because they do.
    Consider: Kelly still, through eight practices, hasn't taken a No. 2 rep. Not a single one. The prevailing notion was he finally did enough in the scrimmage to attain such an opportunity.
    Nope.
    Cont...

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Shane. No troll. Would you submit to Kelly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Shane. No troll. Would you submit to Kelly.
    Tebow yes, Kelly we will see. but im close

4. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

It's good that Kelly threw a couple touchdowns too whoever those two guys are, but the hype is getting out of control when somebody says he sacrificed himself with a block downfield when the quarterbacks can't even be touched, but yet he sacrificed himself?

The whole get behind the underdog thing has been trending in Broncos land, Trevor, Sloter, Now Kelly. I personally refuse to get excited about any back-up quarterback we have until I see them making play's in the game. Saying Kelly looks better than Paxton isn't really saying much to me. Since Paxton isn't good.

Plus if you watch the day to day highlights of practices on DB.com it's showing all the quarterbacks making great throws everyday but yet Paxton is getting left out of the conversation. The real battle starts Saturday night though. I fully expect Kelly too dominate the entire 2nd half with all the hype he's receiving, I don't expect much from Paxton.

6. The Following User High Fived ChubbNYiadom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbNYiadom View Post
    It's good that Kelly threw a couple touchdowns too whoever those two guys are, but the hype is getting out of control when somebody says he sacrificed himself with a block downfield when the quarterbacks can't even be touched, but yet he sacrificed himself?

The whole get behind the underdog thing has been trending in Broncos land, Trevor, Sloter, Now Kelly. I personally refuse to get excited about any back-up quarterback we have until I see them making play's in the game. Saying Kelly looks better than Paxton isn't really saying much to me. Since Paxton isn't good.

Plus if you watch the day to day highlights of practices on DB.com it's showing all the quarterbacks making great throws everyday but yet Paxton is getting left out of the conversation. The real battle starts Saturday night though. I fully expect Kelly too dominate the entire 2nd half with all the hype he's receiving, I don't expect much from Paxton.
    Isn't that the point?
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    Isn't that the point?
    Neither is Kelly any good right now, couple throws every few day's vs camp fodder isn't exciting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

please. the guy is in his first training camp after not playing football for 18 months.

he looks great from where he has come from and he still isnt 100% back.

He is our most talented quarterback. That's for certain. I'm hoping that he ends up becoming our starter down the road. Kelly's talent is robust and him at full fruition would be a boon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He is our most talented quarterback. That's for certain. I'm hoping that he ends up becoming our starter down the road. Kelly's talent is robust and him at full fruition would be a boon.
    He is?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    He is?
    Kelly was slated to be an early round pick for a reason. The issue isn't what he is physically capable of. The issue isn't even what he's cognitively capable of regarding football smarts. It's maturity, and arguably leadership. He's busted his ass just to get back to square one, and he doesn't act like he is entitled to anything, so those are good signs. He's easily the most gifted of the bunch. Lynch has a lot of talent, but he's so mentally frail at this point that a lot of it is negated. Which is a shame because the kid was a real prospect at one point. Oh well.

Keenum is the typical underdog story for a reason.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i think keenum helps kelly alot to be honest. This guy is young. And will only get alot better with guidance from case.

15. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i think keenum helps kelly alot to be honest. This guy is young. And will only get alot better with guidance from case.
    I think Lynch helps him the most because he's an example of what a QB should never become.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Keenum is the best QB on the roster... until he is outplayed
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

There are going to be a TON of pissed-off Broncos fans when the Broncos cut Sloter and try and sign him to the practice squad.

If Paxton wins the "backup battle" he'll be the #2 QB and they will keep 2 QBs, dumping Kelly.

If Paxton loses the "backup battle" they will get rid of Paxton, and sign a veteran QB to backup Keenum, and cut Kelly and try and put him on the practice squad.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Joseph refuses to name Kelly as the backup although he's been better in practices than Paxton (not saying much).

But, it's very unlikely they will be able to keep 3 QBs on the active 53 man roster.

Kelly won't be the backup because he has ZERO active game starts and a backup has to have experience for someone to have confidence in him. (Or else be Elway's pet, one or the other).

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Keenum is the best QB on the roster... until he is outplayed
    It has nothing to do with talent, though. You are very defensive over Keenum. You should stop that, you monster.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information