Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comparing our ’15 & ’18 Ds

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default Comparing our ’15 & ’18 Ds

Some, myself included, have speculated in the “Why Case Keenum May Turn Out To Be The Steal Of The Century......” thread that Keenum may be adequate enough to win the SB if our is as good as it was in ’15. Between Manning’s nagging injury and Oz’s inability to preform up to the expectations we had for him when we drafted him, our QB play that year (until Manning sat long enough to heal up) was probably 3rd tier at best. After his extended rest, Manning was probably no more than 2nd tier.

The question of whether Keenum is at least a 2nd tier QB is being debated in the other thread. The question for this thread is whether our ’18 is as good as our ’15. As for me, I wouldn’t consider giving my initial verdict until the end of September. That verdict could change significantly over the season due to injuries, trades, late bloomers stepping up, etc. However, there are plenty of other that will be ready to render their verdicts a lot sooner than me.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

No. The '15 defense was an all time historic defense. We do not have the NFZ anymore. We may have upgraded at DL but we are down at CB and LB and DC if you really want to go there.

Now, I do expect our defense to be top 5. Maybe top 3. It will be very good. And it should be good enough to win us a fair few games. Depending upon what we see from Case and the O it might be enough of a swing to overcome the loss on defense.

So the moral of the story in relation to what you are asking. It could work out. It could. If I had to guess without seeing anything, Id say our best year with plummer is about the highest we can expect this year if Case plays lights out. We need a better 3rd CB, we need another LB, to come closer to replicating the 15 Crush.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I will put no expectation on anything this season until i see that OLine working. If Keenum is getting mauled out there like we saw the past two years its going to be another bad year.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    No. The '15 defense was an all time historic defense. We do not have the NFZ anymore. We may have upgraded at DL but we are down at CB and LB and DC if you really want to go there.

Now, I do expect our defense to be top 5. Maybe top 3. It will be very good. And it should be good enough to win us a fair few games. Depending upon what we see from Case and the O it might be enough of a swing to overcome the loss on defense.

So the moral of the story in relation to what you are asking. It could work out. It could. If I had to guess without seeing anything, Id say our best year with plummer is about the highest we can expect this year if Case plays lights out. We need a better 3rd CB, we need another LB, to come closer to replicating the 15 Crush.
    There is a possibility that this defense is another all timer, but it all depends on Chubb and Ray...and, of course, injuries---knock knock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I don't think our defense can be as good as it was in 15. Position by position there wasn't a single weak spot, even the reserves were great. However they can look nearly as good if the offense gives them some help.

One position that seems we can't get right is ILB. When we had Trev and Marsh we had two do everything backers. Trev was the more athletic playmaker, and Marsh was a good athlete for his position. I thought they should have kept Trev over Marsh and thought it was a minor mistake at the time. Now it seems to have been a bigger mistake than I thought. Marsh just doesn't have Trev's speed and playmaking ability. It probably would have been easier to find a replacement for Marsh. This year Marsh is down to 225, so hopefully he can play faster, plus we have Cravens. Even with that we will feel the absence of Talib, so 15 levels of greatness might be a bit too much to ask for. However, we can still get a Super Bowl win if the offense can give the defense some much needed help.
    RIP BroncosFreak and OrangeMane

8. The Following User High Fived chanesaw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
    I don't think our defense can be as good as it was in 15. Position by position there wasn't a single weak spot, even the reserves were great. However they can look nearly as good if the offense gives them some help.

One position that seems we can't get right is ILB. When we had Trev and Marsh we had two do everything backers. Trev was the more athletic playmaker, and Marsh was a good athlete for his position. I thought they should have kept Trev over Marsh and thought it was a minor mistake at the time. Now it seems to have been a bigger mistake than I thought. Marsh just doesn't have Trev's speed and playmaking ability. It probably would have been easier to find a replacement for Marsh. This year Marsh is down to 225, so hopefully he can play faster, plus we have Cravens. Even with that we will feel the absence of Talib, so 15 levels of greatness might be a bit too much to ask for. However, we can still get a Super Bowl win if the offense can give the defense some much needed help.
    Trev has chronic injury issues. Marshall played through injury last year. Jewell although not as athletic has ridiculous instincts and is underrated in the pass game. Corner is definitely in flux. You dont just replace what Talib brings in the pass game and his big play ability. I do however like the potential of our young corners. I also like Simmons/Cravens better than Ward who was a huuuuge liability in the pass gsme. The real diff for me is no Wade.

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    The real diff for me is no Wade.
    How many current DCs are his equal? Not many.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

12. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

It's way to early to say if the 2018 defense will be at the level of the 2015 defense. That was a historically great defense it's hard replicate. If this year's defense is in the top five Denver will have shot at the playoffs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Who’s our ******* going to be this year? I’m worried we don’t have one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Who’s our ******* going to be this year? I’m worried we don’t have one.
    Either Wolfe, Marshall, or Stewart. My money would be on Marshall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post

Trevaithan spent much of last year on IR. He was allowed to walk because of concerns over a degenerative knee. Other than that there’s not much to disagree with in this post.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Trevaithan spent much of last year on IR. He was allowed to walk because of concerns over a degenerative knee. Other than that there’s not much to disagree with in this post.
    I thought it was money issue with Trevathan.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well it was a little bit of both. You can't show out money to a guy who said chronic knee injuries and look what happened in Chicago the past 2 years

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Either Wolfe, Marshall, or Stewart. My money would be on Marshall.
    I don’t like any of those answers.

20. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Exactly, you don’t give $50 million to a guy with a degenerative knee, not when you’ve got Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, and DT coming up for new contracts. Teams with talent deficits like the Bears make those dumb moves.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information