Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicides now the 10th leading cause of deaths in US

Default Suicides now the 10th leading cause of deaths in US

CDC: Suicides increased by more than 30 percent since 1999 in half the states

By Melissa Healy Los Angeles Times (TNS)Jun 7, 2018*

More than a decade of steadily rising rates have made suicide the nation’s 10th leading cause of death and one of only three causes of death — including Alzheimer’s disease and drug overdoses — that are increasing in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In a report that examines trends in suicide at the state level from 1999 to 2016, the CDC says suicide rates have increased in nearly every state. In half the states, the agency found the rate rose more than 30 percent.

In releasing the report — the same week fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead by suicide — CDC officials noted that more than half of those who died by suicide — 54 percent — did not have a known diagnosed mental health condition.

A new study on suicide trends in 27 states found that many victims acted after relationship problems or loss; substance misuse; physical health problems; or job, money, legal or housing stress.

“Our data suggests suicide is more than a mental health issue,” said Deborah M. Stone, lead author of that study. Noting that suicide is “very rare” among those with chronic depression, Stone said friends, families and co-workers should not overlook the risk of self-harm among people who have never been diagnosed with mental illness.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nation/suicide-now-the-th-leading-cause-of-death-in-us/article_7b5f1b59-76fa-5fdf-a08e-b14bccc2749c.html
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

its the biggest killer in males between 20 and 50. Bigger than cancer. In the UK at least.

It does not need to be a Mental Health condition as suicide is sometimes a rational choice (terminal illnesses), we just need to expand our thinking on why it is rational (domestic abuse victims, trauma survivors, losing family etc etc). That doesn't mean it is the only choice or that we should not try to lower suicide rates, just that i think most suicides are the result of social problems, not Mental Health (less the schizophrenic demographic which do have a high suicide rate as a result of living with their delusions and hallucinations)

The above comment, not withstanding, I am not sure about the (paraphrased) statement "very few people with depression kill themselves" - i think depression is a huge risk factor, i think it is something like 20% increase for suicide attempts. So to judge the success rates and then link back to the mental illness to show no causation appears to be misleading. Feeling so low, you try to take your own life - but don't succeed is not a stat we should be using (in my opinion)

The adverse childhood experiences study is a glorious piece of work - linking early childhood experiences to health outcomes, one of which is suicide, I think 4 or more adverse childhood experiences (death of a parent, abuse, domestic violence etc etc) leads to a 17 times increase in suicidal ideation. The tedtalk by Nadine Burke Harris gives anyone interested a basic insight in this.

Lastly - the link between self harm and suicide is tenuous - self harm is a behaviour that attempts manage some kind of internal distress. The self harm actually is a means to keep the person alive, and to remove it is to remove a coping strategy. As it is a behaviour, it is not classed as a mental illness, so it is more important to look at the persons situation, presentation and any unusual behaviour (long sleeves in summer etc) as a means to identify risk. We all have unhealthy coping strategies - from food to alcohol and beyond, self harming really is no different.

The problem with my (understanding) view of suicide - the data suggests that almost all survivors of a suicde attempt are glad they survived - so whilst at the time it may seem like the only way out, or a rational choice, the second the try to die, there is usually an instant regret

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Is there a fine line between someone that has given up and just doesn't care if they die vs someone that is actually trying to kill themselves?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Is there a fine line between someone that has given up and just doesn't care if they die vs someone that is actually trying to kill themselves?
    yeah - i think that is a fair.

Someone once explained to me, they did not want to die, but if someone rolled a grenade into the room, they would not try to get out of the way.

I think that is quite common, but that is the best way i have heard someone explain it

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Thought of Abe when I read the Bourdain news... I know he's a big fan. I was just watching Parts Unknown last night.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Thought of Abe when I read the Bourdain news... I know he's a big fan. I was just watching Parts Unknown last night.
    Yes between him and Kate Spade recently it really terrifies me how seemingly happy or at least engaged with the world people can hit such a dark place. I know Bourdain had issues with drugs earlier in his life, but he always seemed like a person who really loved life. I get angry more than sad reading about suicides like that because it really scares me how easily it is to take a moment and think it will never get better and decide to just end it. I remember visiting San Francisco and seeing all the phones for suicide help on the bridge and reading stories about survivors of suicide and how they regretted their decision nearly instantly. Here is a short documentary about one of them:

This really hits me lately because I have a friend of nearly 25 years that is retreating and dealing with depression but still very much in denial. He just moved further away and it seems to have made the issue worse. It is hard to reach out to people when they repeatedly slap your hand back but you have to keep trying I guess.
    Last edited by MasterShake; 06-10-2018 at 10:47 AM.

10. The Following 7 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Don’t give up Shake.

12. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

It sucks. Several years ago I finally decided to talk to my doctor and started medication. I convinced myself that regularly having panic attacks, random sadness, and telling yourself the world would be better off without you wasn't a natural thing. It's the best decision I've ever made in my life. I'm never going to be perfect, but I'm happier and feel much better on a daily basis. It all started about 15 years ago. I just wish I had known then what I know now.

14. The Following 11 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yes between him and Kate Spade recently it really terrifies me how seemingly happy or ate least engaged with the world people can hit such a dark place. I know Bourdain had issues with drugs earlier in his life, but he always seemed like a person who really loved life. I get angry more than sad reading about suicides like that because it really scares me how easily it is to take a moment and think it will never get better and decide to just end it. I remember visiting San Francisco and seeing all the phones for suicide help on the bridge and reading stories about survivors of suicide and how they regretted their decision nearly instantly. Here is a short documentary about one of them:

This really hits me lately because I have a friend of nearly 25 years that is retreating and dealing with depression but still very much in denial. He just moved further away and it seems to have made the issue worse. It is hard to reach out to people when they repeatedly slap your hand back but you have to keep trying I guess.
    I had never heard of Kate Spade until recently. At first I thought......she's a very attractive lady, had a family, and everything going for her. But, then I read more about her. I feel for those who get into that dark space, and can't get out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

The most shocking one for me was Robin Williams. That one is hard to understand, but depression isn't something that's really understood.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

It is better than shooting up a school or a restaurant or something, but I still do not understand it.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Western society is collapsing. Suicides among white males are what those increases reflect.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Up here....the suicide rate increases significantly in the winter.....mostly up in the Bush (Alaskan villages).

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    The most shocking one for me was Robin Williams. That one is hard to understand, but depression isn't something that's really understood.
    Yeah that was a doozy. It was later revealed he was having early mental degradation issues (early onset Alzheimers I think) and it made more sense. Still sucks, you can just understand it more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

MS....I know you mentioned Bourdain, but I didn't realize he committed suicide. I just read that in the news.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information