Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Musgrave not only has a new QB, he has devised a whole new offensive system

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Musgrave not only has a new QB, he has devised a whole new offensive system

KUSA – It couldn’t have been the play caller. We’ll find out soon enough if it was the quarterback.

What the Broncos’ brain trust believes for certain is its problems in 2017 stemmed from its offensive system.

The Broncos aren’t tweaking their offense this year – they 86’d it and devised a new one.

“Yeah, it’s pretty much all different,’’ said Broncos offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave.

The Broncos scored just 18.1 points per game in a 5-11 season last year. Only five teams scored fewer in the NFL. The reason why the play caller can’t be blamed is, statistically, the Broncos’ offense was a tad worse after offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was fired following game 10.

Musgrave took over and while he made some subtle changes, it’s impossible to change an offensive system in midseason.
    rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports...m/73-560919237

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Sounds like the Plan when he was in Minn.

"It will definitely be the Minnesota Vikings system," he said. "It will have its roots in language, I’m sure, from my history with coach [Mike] Shanahan and most recently from my experience with Mike Mularkey. There will be some language that our guys will recognize right off the bat because it will have some West Coast roots, and it will have some formations and protections that are more along the Pittsburgh Steelers offense, which we ran down here in Atlanta with coach Mularkey."

The West Coast offense is known for its extensive verbiage, but Musgrave said that will not be a part of his offense.

"One thing I believe in is minimal verbiage, and we’ll make it very streamlined, we’ll make the formations easy to learn for the guys, because I believe in players playing fast," he said. "We don’t want them out there thinking what word was used for this or that. I know with the group of coaches that Les has put together we’ll put together a system that is easy for those guys to digest, and they’ll go out and cut it loose."

http://www.startribune.com/musgrave-...qbs/114293529/
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

As much as Joseph talked about building his systems around the players last year, the coaching staff did just the opposite. They took a defense built for a man coverage and an exotic blitz scheme and made them a conservative, predictable, man/zone mix D. Horrible decision. On offense, I don't know what system would have worked with the QBs and Oline that we threw out there. Keenum alone should give Musgrave a lot more options. If Joseph doesn't get in the way, this offense might be fun to watch again.

6. The Following 11 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Sounds like the Plan when he was in Minn.

"It will definitely be the Minnesota Vikings system," he said. "It will have its roots in language, I’m sure, from my history with coach [Mike] Shanahan and most recently from my experience with Mike Mularkey. There will be some language that our guys will recognize right off the bat because it will have some West Coast roots, and it will have some formations and protections that are more along the Pittsburgh Steelers offense, which we ran down here in Atlanta with coach Mularkey."

The West Coast offense is known for its extensive verbiage, but Musgrave said that will not be a part of his offense.

"One thing I believe in is minimal verbiage, and we’ll make it very streamlined, we’ll make the formations easy to learn for the guys, because I believe in players playing fast," he said. "We don’t want them out there thinking what word was used for this or that. I know with the group of coaches that Les has put together we’ll put together a system that is easy for those guys to digest, and they’ll go out and cut it loose."

http://www.startribune.com/musgrave-...qbs/114293529/
    What's funny is on the other boards our resident charger troll is using this as smack material "Your QB's are so dumb, the coach had to dumb down the offense for them"

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    What's funny is on the other boards our resident charger troll is using this as smack material "Your QB's are so dumb, the coach had to dumb down the offense for them"

Does he have a point?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Does he have a point?
    I don't feel like that is the case. You can have a good system that isn't bogged down with complex verbage. I have faith in Musgrave's ability as a coordinator. I think he will call a system that plays to our QB's strengths. I mean, we'll know more in a few months. It's not just the QB's that have to learn complicated language.

A simpler offense is not necessarily an indictment of our QB intelligence though. Allegedly Keenum had a high wonderlic, but since it was never made available, we'll probably never know for sure on that one.

I have noo issue with the revamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don't feel like that is the case. You can have a good system that isn't bogged down with complex verbage. I have faith in Musgrave's ability as a coordinator. I think he will call a system that plays to our QB's strengths. I mean, we'll know more in a few months. It's not just the QB's that have to learn complicated language.

A simpler offense is not necessarily an indictment of our QB intelligence though. Allegedly Keenum had a high wonderlic, but since it was never made available, we'll probably never know for sure on that one.
    To be fair, I have no idea of Keenum’s IQ. Lynch seems like an idiot. My feelings on Kelly are fairly well known.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    To be fair, I have no idea of Keenum’s IQ. Lynch seems like an idiot. My feelings on Kelly are fairly well known.
    I'd love to know his Wonderlic scores, not that wonderlic means a whole lot, but since he was never a top prospect, they never leaked.

15. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Fitzpatrick had a 40 - he was a gunslinger on the field and kinda played like a dummy. He's also brilliant and was a Harvard man. So I have no idea what Wonderlic actually means overall.

I do know, however, that CK isn't a dumb QB. He's just physically limited, can't carry a team, and is in the vein of Alex Smith. I know that his season last year is the most overstated thing in existence, and you'd think people would remember about stat inflation.

I know that I am once again going to be rooting for a QB that I don't believe in. Especially when the playoffs roll around because he was shitty then.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Baphamet?

18. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Baphamet?
    That would be the dude It was some really weakly constructed smack as always.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I hate.
    Baph?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Baph?
    I hate in general.

23. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information