Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Random Broncos thoughts: In exactly that order.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He plays small ball and was one of the worst deep ball passers in the league last year. The analysis on his deep throwing concluded that he was very, very fortunate to throw so few picks considering how bad he was at it. That small ball game bloated his completion percentage. His accuracy is solid. But it wasn't a like when PFM threw for over 65% of his passes while attacking the entire field.

His pocket awareness and inability to be a coward IS something I look forward to. I just can't get excited about a one year wonder with inflated game manager stats. And for the love of god, if anyone thinks his stats aren't inflated with how the offense was ran last year, miss me with it.
    Well, I will repeat: I don’t expect him to be good. I just expect him to be markedly better than Siemian was last year

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well, I will repeat: I don’t expect him to be good. I just expect him to be markedly better than Siemian was last year
    TS was one of the worst qbs in recent history. Being better than him is getting a 330 pound guy to beat a 350 pound guy in a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

He plays small ball and was one of the worst deep ball passers in the league last year. The analysis on his deep throwing concluded that he was very, very fortunate to throw so few picks considering how bad he was at it. That small ball game bloated his completion percentage. His accuracy is solid. But it wasn't a like when PFM threw for over 65% of his passes while attacking the entire field.

His pocket awareness and inability to be a coward IS something I look forward to. I just can't get excited about a one year wonder with inflated game manager stats. And for the love of god, if anyone thinks his stats aren't inflated with how the offense was ran last year, miss me with it.
    Okay, I'll miss you with it . . .
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

The Broncos don't want a vertical passing game offense. They want a short ball control offense and running the ball. The Kubiak offense in short. That's their plan. Rely on the defense, run the ball effectively, don't get in unmanageable situations, dink and dunk.

Unless you have Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, that kind of offense is your best bet. Minimize turnovers. Maximize field position. That's why they signed Marquette King

Since 2013, when he took over for Shane Lechler in Oakland, King is second in the league in total punts (426), eighth in gross average (46.8 yards) and net average (40.8), third in punts inside the 20-yard line (168) and first in punts inside the 10-yard line (65).
    Why release an adequate punter in Riley Dixon and take a guy with personality issues? They are desperately trying to improve their field position game.

The signing of Case Keenum is the biggest part of that but everything points in the same direction - especially the drafting of Chubb at #5 when they already had Shane Ray and Shaqil Barrett.

They are trying to dramatically upgrade certain key positions.

You still need to be able to threaten the defense with a deep ball. Otherwise it starts to be sad times when the defense adjusts.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

You still need to be able to threaten the defense with a deep ball. Otherwise it starts to be sad times when the defense adjusts.
    Then why couldn't defenses adjust to Keenum last year? Why is it he played better in the
    last eight games than he did in the previous games if defenses are going to have such an
    easy time adjusting to him?

Why are some of you talking as if Keenum can't throw the long ball? Haven't you watched
    at least some of his highlights?
    Last edited by topscribe; 05-25-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Then why couldn't defenses adjust to Keenum last year? Why is it he played better in the
    last eight games than he did in the previous the games if defenses are going to have such
    an easy time adjusting to him?

Why are some of you talking as if Keenum can't throw the long ball? Haven't you watched
    at least some of his highlights?
    Long ball?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I'd feel good about Topscribe defending Keenum if I hadn't been around here when we traded Cutler for Orton. . .

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

I figure we'll go 8-8.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I'd feel good about Topscribe defending Keenum if I hadn't been around here when we traded Cutler for Orton. . .
    Well, I suppose most everyone thinks I was wrong about Orton. I wasn't. I go by 11 games
    during the time he was here. Those were almost the only games he played healthy. The
    rest of the time, he was playing on a high ankle sprain. During one stretch, in fact, he was
    playing on two of them.

During those 11 games, Orton was a pretty good QB. He just couldn't stay healthy. Probably
    his worst weakness was in his ankles. He suffered high ankle sprains in Chicago, then again
    in Denver. So he was never allowed to show what he really could do. I don't know why he
    insisted on playing on them. Most of the time a high ankle sprain means the athlete will not
    play again until it's healed. Which is what should have been done with him. I lay his demise
    on the coaching staff for that.

Anyway, when I defend a QB (and I have defended several, from young Elway to Jake to
    Orton), I always have the sources behind me, and I usually post them. Like the video above.
    I never "argued" the point. I just produced the evidence, take it or leave it. Long ball is the
    issue there, and if you watch those highlights, you will see several long balls on the money.
    Yes, they are just the highlights, but it does show that Keenum is capable of it, which
    contradicts King's claims. So he has his claims that Keenum can't threaten with the long ball,
    and I have the evidence that he can. That's the way it has been all along, with every QB in
    question.
    Last edited by topscribe; 05-28-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Let’s not get people upset Hawg.
    It's fascinating man.

The dude has the Hester gene, but he's all up in his head. A good HC knows how turnovers are death to championships. But you could argue the Grossman Bears was a Hester product. So I wonder if they can rehab his jacked mentalities. Probably ought to give him a camp and short leash unless he has already crumbled.
    I think that's a stretch. Hester never put the ball on the ground consistently. He seems to have the holiday Gene. Which we've all learned to fear.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I think that's a stretch. Hester never put the ball on the ground consistently. He seems to have the holiday Gene. Which we've all learned to fear.
    In 800 touches, Hester has fumbled as much as Adrian Peterson, who has had 2800 touches, and isn't the paragon of ball security himself. 41 fumbles in 800 touches (350 returns, 450 receptions). That is putting the ball on the ground consistently.

To your point, Holiday and McKenzie are worse at fielding the ball, so they don't play. My point was that McKenzie has the jukeability of a Hester, just can't field the ball in live action. Seems able on Wednesdays, not Sundays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

The Broncos don't want a vertical passing game offense. They want a short ball control offense and running the ball. The Kubiak offense in short. That's their plan. Rely on the defense, run the ball effectively, don't get in unmanageable situations, dink and dunk.

Unless you have Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, that kind of offense is your best bet. Minimize turnovers. Maximize field position. That's why they signed Marquette King

Since 2013, when he took over for Shane Lechler in Oakland, King is second in the league in total punts (426), eighth in gross average (46.8 yards) and net average (40.8), third in punts inside the 20-yard line (168) and first in punts inside the 10-yard line (65).
    Why release an adequate punter in Riley Dixon and take a guy with personality issues? They are desperately trying to improve their field position game.

The signing of Case Keenum is the biggest part of that but everything points in the same direction - especially the drafting of Chubb at #5 when they already had Shane Ray and Shaqil Barrett.

They are trying to dramatically upgrade certain key positions.
    Anyone remember the plumber teams where we were towards the top of the league in offense and defense and our special teams were horrid on both sides? It's a huge deal you can't overstate field-position. Because it ends up losing or winning you one score games consistently

The notion that a deep ball portion of an offense being viable isn't at odds with field position. Le sigh.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information