Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos not likely to pick up Shane Ray’s option

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    They're not giving away Ray for nothing - they just don't want to pay the $9 million without seeing a full recovery (and even improvement) first. They can still sign him up if they like his performance this year - they just can't pay him and Shaq a combined $18+ million next year to pass rush next to Von's $19-whatever million. Gotta pick one, at most. It's gonna work like Wolfe and Malik, where you pay the guy who says yes to the deal you can afford, and have to let the other one walk.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Tag and trade?

Ray has talent and he has produced before - last year he was just snakebitten. He's now on a crowded roster...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Well, it's really a combo of what he does this year and what he can do for his new team that determines his comp pick value. So, if a team offers a 3rd round pick, we know that's the best value we could get anyway and should probably jump on it. Especially if Jeff Holland shows something in camp.
    Oh, if some other team offers a 3rd rounder, absolutely. If they offer a 5th you probably have to take it. I definitely don't expect a 3rd, and might give even odds on a 5th being on the table at some point. But camp is gonna be so big for the pass rushers. Denver has a buncha animals for camp, including Holland as you say. The pass rushing depth chart competition is gonna be some kind of fierce.
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Tag and trade?

Ray has talent and he has produced before - last year he was just snakebitten. He's now on a crowded roster...
    Problem with that is no one is going to want to offer much if he's on the hook for 9 mil in 2019 unless he produces. But then if he produces...you alos have the temptation of keeping him. Either way, you are then in a similar scenario with pass rushers as we were with cornerbacks. Except it's common to have 3 corners on the field...not 3 edge rushers.

6. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Problem with that is no one is going to want to offer much if he's on the hook for 9 mil in 2019 unless he produces. But then if he produces...you alos have the temptation of keeping him. Either way, you are then in a similar scenario with pass rushers as we were with cornerbacks. Except it's common to have 3 corners on the field...not 3 edge rushers.
    My line of thinking is based on the fact that he'd be a 26 year old pass rusher who would command money in the open market, whereas a team could trade for him and get one year out of him while trying to negotiate a long term deal with him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Stokely says its a no brainer to exercise the option. If he has a good year, we have him for 1 more year at $9m. If he doesn't have a good year, we can cut him and not be on the hook for the $. Only thing is if he gets injured, then he still get paid.

9. The Following User High Fived tubby For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Stokely says its a no brainer to exercise the option. If he has a good year, we have him for 1 more year at $9m. If he doesn't have a good year, we can cut him and not be on the hook for the $. Only thing is if he gets injured, then he still get paid.
    And that makes sense. But then you also have a potential big contract coming up for Roby. My assumption is that one of or both DT and Sanders may be released, along with Davis or Marshall, so there will be savings to help with this, but I still have a hard time dedicating 35-40 mil on 3 edge rushers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

-- James Dean

12. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

And that makes sense. But then you also have a potential big contract coming up for Roby. My assumption is that one of or both DT and Sanders may be released, along with Davis or Marshall, so there will be savings to help with this, but I still have a hard time dedicating 35-40 mil on 3 edge rushers.
    I have that same problem with paying huge dollars to all our edge rushers next year - and apparently Elway agrees, since they declined the option. Stokely is wrong again. Not a big surprise. I get the idea of taking the option, but he may have more trade value without it, which between that and Ray's injury history may have caused John to decide that declining the option is best.

We'll see.
    -- James Dean

14. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Well...tell me one team that wouldn't be interested in a young pass rusher.
    Yeah, I understand that. I’m just thinking who will take the risk of $9m for a guy who has had 8 sacks once, had 2 sacks last year, and is a liability against the run? He’s played four years and has only shown value in nickel situations, unless he can line up behind a monster DE.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Yeah, I understand that. I’m just thinking who will take the risk of $9m for a guy who has had 8 sacks once, had 2 sacks last year, and is a liability against the run? He’s played four years and has only shown value in nickel situations, unless he can line up behind a monster DE.
    That's why you trade for him now and then sign him if he is a success. If not, you had a year to evaluate and only lost mid-round draft capital.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post

I think Shane is going to have a double digit year. In year two, he had eight sacks. Last year had he not been injured, Im thinking he would have gotten more.

Its the smart move by Denver. Shane may not like it but he controls his own destiny.

If he has a great year, Denver can franchise him and trade him or keep him at about 15 mil.

If he has that big year, there will be suitors including possibly the Broncos.

But Barrett at this point is the better player.

He also has to improve in the run game to really get paid.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Broncos will decline it.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/02/denver-broncos-news-shane-ray-fifth-year-option-declined/
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    I think Shane is going to have a double digit year. In year two, he had eight sacks. Last year had he not been injured, Im thinking he would have gotten more.

Its the smart move by Denver. Shane may not like it but he controls his own destiny.

If he has a great year, Denver can franchise him and trade him or keep him at about 15 mil.

If he has that big year, there will be suitors including possibly the Broncos.

But Barrett at this point is the better player.

He also has to improve in the run game to really get paid.
    Yeah, Barrett has demonstrated more all-around skills than Ray so far. Shane even played DL in college but there's no way I'd let him try to play contain on the edge for any amount of money. Denver has invested a ton in pass rushers, with a 2nd rounder in Walker last year as well as the 5th pick this year to go with Ray's first round cost. They got Shaq and Holland, too - Shaq will get paid if he stays, but Holland and Walker are both on cheaper deals for the next few years and even Chubb is gonna make less next year than Ray's 5th year would have been.

If either Holland or Walker show this year, Denver's fine at pass rush with a Barrett extension and Chubb's expected contribution. If they both show up, Denver is golden. I see almost no way in which Denver franchises Ray, but stranger things have happened. Ray has pass-rushing talent, and will get a multi-year deal this offseason. Just don't think it's from Denver unless Shaq wants to hit the open market and Ray still just shows these flashes of potential to keep his cost down.
    -- James Dean

The saints declined Mark Ingrams 5th option and the ended up keeping him (just not at the 5th option price).....I am pretty sure, if memory serves correct.
    Potentially the same thing could happen with Ray.

Id rather keep ray than Shaq honestly, but I do expect at least one of them to be gone.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information