Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Source: Chargers won't re-sign Antonio Gates

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Source: Chargers won't re-sign Antonio Gates

The Los Angeles Chargers informed tight end Antonio Gates this offseason they do not plan to re-sign him, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Friday.

Gates said at the end of last season that he wanted to continue his career in 2018.

A future Hall of Famer, Gates had a reduced role with the Chargers in 2017. He played 478 snaps, finishing with 30 catches for 316 receiving yards and three touchdowns. Gates hasn't had numbers that low since his rookie season in 2003.
    rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...cording-source

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Totally understandable. His production has gone down and he has been injured a lot. Henry is an adequate TE for them now.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Totally understandable. His production has gone down and he has been injured a lot. Henry is an adequate TE for them now.
    Maybe someone will sign him as a PR stunt to get ignorant fans excited, like when the Cards signed Emmitt Smith after he was washed up.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Maybe someone will sign him as a PR stunt to get ignorant fans excited, like when the Cards signed Emmitt Smith after he was washed up.
    I wouldn't call it a PR stunt. Bringing in veterans like Gates helps younger players develop. Obviously, he's not going to have much of anything left in the tank, but if I'm a team that has a hole at TE after the draft and I have to choose between Antonio Gates and Julius Thomas as a receiving threat, I'm still going Antonio Gates.

Gates still had 30 catches last year in limited action.

If looking for a decent vet on a 1 year deal he's worth it.

If only he was white and from the Big Ten.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    If only he was white and from the Big Ten.
    And injured. Don't forget injured.

A cheap 1 year deal to help develop our young guys? I wouldn't mind seeing that...Gates maybe has 1 more year. Even if he is 70% of what he used to be it's still much better than the crap we have had. We had Owens during our SB run and we didn't expect much but he came up huge during the playoffs, so don't count these old guys out all the time.

Still....we have so many rookies I don't see us doing this at all.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

11. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

No thanks. He's a great guy and WAS a great TE. He's washed up now so no thanks. Don't even want him as mentor. Who's spot on the 53 would he take?
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    No thanks. He's a great guy and WAS a great TE. He's washed up now so no thanks. Don't even want him as mentor. Who's spot on the 53 would he take?
    Well, now that we signed Marquette King he can take Northman's annual punter spot.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    A cheap 1 year deal to help develop our young guys? I wouldn't mind seeing that...Gates maybe has 1 more year. Even if he is 70% of what he used to be it's still much better than the crap we have had. We had Owens during our SB run and we didn't expect much but he came up huge during the playoffs, so don't count these old guys out all the time.

Still....we have so many rookies I don't see us doing this at all.
    Den looking at his production I don't think he's at 70% of what he use to be. Imho it would be waste.

16. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    I wouldn't call it a PR stunt. Bringing in veterans like Gates helps younger players develop. Obviously, he's not going to have much of anything left in the tank, but if I'm a team that has a hole at TE after the draft and I have to choose between Antonio Gates and Julius Thomas as a receiving threat, I'm still going Antonio Gates.
    How do you know that having Gates around is going help younger tight ends develop? He may not be a very good mentor.

18. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    I know that's the theory, but how well has that work out for us at TE since JT left? How about the "veteran leadership" Mark Sanchez provided our QBs?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Pass. It's time to get the young guys in the lineup and teach them to be modern NFL TE's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Pass. It's time to get the young guys in the lineup and teach them to be modern NFL TE's.
    Keenum will elevate all of our TE's. We don't need no stinkin' veteran!

No offense, Davii.

23. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information