Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a "Franchise QB"?

Adopted Bronco:

Default What is a "Franchise QB"?

Just a question of curiosity to see how each individual defines this term. Based on the last few weeks of ridiculous ****-fighting, I'm curious...if passer or QB ratings are irrelevant...exactly what numbers do define a "franchise QB"? And if numbers alone dont justify the title...what does?

Obviously, this is going to vary from person to person as it does from team to team in the NFL, but since there are threads disputing things like stats, personality, history, etc. playing into the title, I'm curious as to exactly what it is that has to happen before a QB is classified with the "Franchise" label.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Good luck with this, Coach!

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I've been asking this question for years.

No one has been able to answer it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Good luck with this, Coach!
    I will say this - stats don't mean much to me because they can be manipulated to tell multiple stories.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Just a question of curiosity to see how each individual defines this term. Based on the last few weeks of ridiculous ****-fighting, I'm curious...if passer or QB ratings are irrelevant...exactly what numbers do define a "franchise QB"? And if numbers alone dont justify the title...what does?

Obviously, this is going to vary from person to person as it does from team to team in the NFL, but since there are threads disputing things like stats, personality, history, etc. playing into the title, I'm curious as to exactly what it is that has to happen before a QB is classified with the "Franchise" label.
    For most, if the QB isn't someone they like, he isn't capable of being a franchise QB. That basically sums up the majority of posters on this boards feelings, even if they won't admit it out loud.

If it isn't a QB they like, they "have a ceiling of a game manager" because that is the ultimate insult you can throw at a QB for some reason.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I've been asking this question for years.

No one has been able to answer it.
    That's kind of the hidden point I guess I'm trying to expose. We'll see how it plays out, but I think we'll see that the term is opinionated at best.

11. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post

I think it's up to the front office. It's someone they are ready to go all in with.

13. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

The real problem is that a guy can't be a franchise QB until he has proven himself. Everybody wants to acquire a franchise QB but they are rarely acquired while they are still that guy. You can get a young guy and hope he becomes that but half the fans won't admit he's that guy until he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Which is almost impossible to do. Teams shouldn't worry about finding the franchise QB, just find the most talented guy they can and hope he becomes the guy.

How many franchise QB's are in the NFL right now? That's the question I'd ask. Brady, Brees, Rothlisburger, is there anybody else? Can they be a frachise QB if they've never made the SB? Rivers a few others. Can they be a franchise QB if they are just getting started? Can they be a franchise QB if they've moved around?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

A franchise Qb is someone who can lead, motivate, and elevate a team when needed. For me its really not that hard to see it in a player.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    A franchise Qb is someone who can lead, motivate, and elevate a team when needed. For me its really not that hard to see it in a player.
    Is there a certain amount of time that he has to do it? Can he have that title before playing in an NFL game? What do his numbers have to look like? Curious because it is possible to be a great leader and motivator without being a great player.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

A franchise is quarterback you build your team around. There are several who fit in that category As mention earlier Brees, Brady, Rothlisburger, but also Flacco, Rodgers, Wilson, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, I suppose we can put Goff and Wentz in category but they're still fledglings.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 04-23-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    The real problem is that a guy can't be a franchise QB until he has proven himself. Everybody wants to acquire a franchise QB but they are rarely acquired while they are still that guy. You can get a young guy and hope he becomes that but half the fans won't admit he's that guy until he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Which is almost impossible to do. Teams shouldn't worry about finding the franchise QB, just find the most talented guy they can and hope he becomes the guy.

How many franchise QB's are in the NFL right now? That's the question I'd ask. Brady, Brees, Rothlisburger, is there anybody else? Can they be a frachise QB if they've never made the SB? Rivers a few others. Can they be a franchise QB if they are just getting started? Can they be a franchise QB if they've moved around?
    To the point...it seems the more we try to define a Franchise QB...the more questions we come up with on how to do that.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    A franchise is quarterback you build your team around. There are several who fit in that category As mention earlier Brees, Brady, Rothlisburger, but also Flacco, Rodgers, Wilson, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, I suppose we can put Goff and Wentz in category but they still fledglings.
    Fair...but what is it that makes a team decide to build their team around that player? More specifically, how did they determine that player was worthy of building a team around?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Simple answer:

Elway.

Struggled his first year - even got benched, but showed flashes of brilliance. Won games he probably didn't have any business winning due to his will to win alone. He wasn't surrounded by a "great" team until his final years.

He just won games. As a fan during that time, even if the Broncos were down 20 points in the 4th, I knew there was at least a chance to win with him behind center. He demanded elite play from his teammates, and could get away with it because he left everything on the field himself. Never had eye-popping stats, but retired as the winningest QB with the most 4th quarter comebacks of all time.

I fully realize I'm an Elway homer and view virtually everything through orange-colored glasses, but when you watched him play, you just knew he was something incredibly special. The face of the franchise. A franchise QB.

I'm not sure I've seen that before or since, to be honest.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

A quarterback who makes the people around him better.

23. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

GEM

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information