Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a "Franchise QB"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'm not sure what you're arguing. I get that stats aren't the be all, end all, but all of these quarterbacks are franchise quarterbacks. You're listing off Hall of Famers.
    We agree. I'm not arguing, other than stating that stats aren't the primary factor in determining what a franchise QB is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I always thought of an Elite franchise QB as a guy that if all things were equal you would either not trade away for any other QB or it would at least be a very painful decision to have to make. By "all things being equal" I am mostly referring to age and contract status. In other words I would probably not trade a 25 year old Tom Brady for a 25 year old Peyton Manning if one was already on my team and familiar with my system.

Elite franchise QBs are pretty rare. Right now there are, per my definition of the term, 3.

Tom Brady
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees

Franchise QBs in the next tier are guys that you would trade straight up for the above guys but not for anyone else. And some of these guys may very well end up in the above list but aren't there yet

Carson Wentz
    Big Ben
    Russell Wilson
    Matt Ryan
    Andrew Luck (if healthy)
    Phillip Rivers

The Next tier is my last tier of Franchise QBs and these are guys that you would trade for any of the above as well as a 1st and some change. These guys can win you a SB with help but they all have some flaws in their game or personality(Cam Newton)

Newton
    Carr
    Cousins
    Alex Smith
    Prescott (maybe. He could move drastically up this list or completely fall off of it, it's still too early to know but I'm going to put him here for now.)

The rest of the guys in the league are just guys. Some of the young guys will eventually move up the list but for now that's how I stack it.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I always thought of an Elite franchise QB as a guy that if all things were equal you would either not trade away for any other QB or it would at least be a very painful decision to have to make. By "all things being equal" I am mostly referring to age and contract status. In other words I would probably not trade a 25 year old Tom Brady for a 25 year old Peyton Manning if one was already on my team and familiar with my system.

Elite franchise QBs are pretty rare. Right now there are, per my definition of the term, 3.

Tom Brady
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees

Franchise QBs in the next tier are guys that you would trade straight up for the above guys but not for anyone else. And some of these guys may very well end up in the above list but aren't there yet

Carson Wentz
    Big Ben
    Russell Wilson
    Matt Ryan
    Andrew Luck (if healthy)
    Phillip Rivers

The Next tier is my last tier of Franchise QBs and these are guys that you would trade for any of the above as well as a 1st and some change. These guys can win you a SB with help but they all have some flaws in their game or personality(Cam Newton)

Newton
    Carr
    Cousins
    Alex Smith
    Prescott (maybe. He could move drastically up this list or completely fall off of it, it's still too early to know but I'm going to put him here for now.)

The rest of the guys in the league are just guys. Some of the young guys will eventually move up the list but for now that's how I stack it.
    I think that's a pretty fair list. I think Garopollo and Goff could play their way onto that list.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

We need a franchise QB at this time. Elway was the last franchise QB in Broncos Organization. I think Jake Plummer and Peyton Manning were temporary franchise QBs.

Adopted Bronco:

So, in summary, it appears everyone has their own opinion of what makes a franchise QB. Which means that no one and everyone are right at the same time. So, when someone says Mayfield WILL bust or Rosen WILL be the best or Keenum WILL suck...they have a decent idea based mostly on opinion, but in the end...they really don't know shit.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    So, in summary, it appears everyone has their own opinion of what makes a franchise QB. Which means that no one and everyone are right at the same time. So, when someone says Mayfield WILL bust or Rosen WILL be the best or Keenum WILL suck...they have a decent idea based mostly on opinion, but in the end...they really don't know shit.
    Well, the management for teams don't even know, so I guess I'm not going to take any shame in having an opinion on the subject.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Anyone can say they know the right information at this time of year, but it's a giant crapshoot. We form opinions based on best information available to us.

We can use past history, personality, statistics, ect... to reduce the uncertainty, but no one can every be 100 percent certain on a player (unless they drive a flying delorean)

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Well, the management for teams don't even know, so I guess I'm not going to take any shame in having an opinion on the subject.
    And you shouldn't. In the same regard why you shouldn't be shamed by others or shame them for their opinion.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Anyone can say they know the right information at this time of year, but it's a giant crapshoot. We form opinions based on best information available to us.

We can use past history, personality, statistics, ect... to reduce the uncertainty, but no one can every be 100 percent certain on a player (unless they drive a flying delorean)
    True. but there are those that are convinced that Keenum WILL suck this year...or that Rosen or Mayfield or insert name here is the second coming of Christ. And if you disagree with them, they will quickly tell you why you're an idiot for not believing the same thing.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

True. but there are those that are convinced that Keenum WILL suck this year...or that Rosen or Mayfield or insert name here is the second coming of Christ. And if you disagree with them, they will quickly tell you why you're an idiot for not believing the same thing.
    Well, but those people (the biggest offender knows who he is) are often trying to goad you into responding poorly to them by being as over the top in their responses as possible. They post with intent of causing as much polarization as they can, because people getting butt hurt is fun to them.

They have no soul and like to watch the world burn.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

6’-0 5/8”, about 200lbs, Sally-armed, from Texas ... preferably from a Run and Shit/Air-Gayed offense. And most importantly, he’s gotta have the “It” factor.

If you have to ask if So-and-So is a franchise QB, he’s not. Maybe ... not.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    6’-0 5/8”, about 200lbs, Sally-armed, from Texas ... preferably from a Run and Shit/Air-Gayed offense. And most importantly, he’s gotta have the “It” factor.

If you have to ask if So-and-So is a franchise QB, he’s not. Maybe ... not.
    So Drew Brees? I would agree.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Just like the people that say Keenum WON’T suck.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    So Drew Brees? I would agree.
    Brees doesn’t have a popgun, bite your tongue.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

FWIW, there have been plenty of facts used by both sides. Also, just because there's a disagreement doesn't mean that all the dissent is valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information