Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a "Franchise QB"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Ok...but then based on that scenario, it appears we can eliminate "making his teammates better" as a definitive quality of a franchise QB. Obviously, that can be done without being elite.

So far, it looks like we've crossed a few traits off of the list required to have that title...Leader, motivator, making the team better, etc. Not that you don't want these traits, just that they aren't requirements to be called a franchise QB.

I guess based on a few opinions we might also be able to eliminate stats from the qualifications, but my one argument for paying attention to stats is this...if having great stats isn't indicative of being a franchise QB, why is it that all the QB's that are considered franchise QB's always seem to have great stats??? Is 4000 yards, 30 TD's and a high rating just a by-product, or does it require having some ability as an elite QB help?
    Yeah, I don't think it's anything that's really possible to objectively quantify. Which is why I think it's more of a "I can't definite it, but I know it when I see it" type thing. I know that's not necessarily the most interesting take to have on the matter, but I think it's the most accurate.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it's anything that's really possible to objectively quantify. Which is why I think it's more of a "I can't definite it, but I know it when I see it" type thing. I know that's not necessarily the most interesting take to have on the matter, but I think it's the most accurate.
    But can we eliminate stats or passer rating as a part of the equation? I mean, when I look at the names listed as current franchise QB's, they "just so happen" to be the same names listed at the top of the career passer rating list. Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    But can we eliminate stats or passer rating as a part of the equation? I mean, when I look at the names listed as current franchise QB's, they "just so happen" to be the same names listed at the top of the career passer rating list. Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc.
    I feel like those are the easy ones to throw in the franchise QB bucket because they put up big stats and win a bunch. The more gray area ones to define are guys like Stafford who put up big stats but don't win, or Eli who has won a bunch but not always put up the greatest stats. At that point, it's pretty much in the eye of the beholder if they are a franchise guy or not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I feel like those are the easy ones to throw in the franchise QB bucket because they put up big stats and win a bunch. The more gray area ones to define are guys like Stafford who put up big stats but don't win, or Eli who has won a bunch but not always put up the greatest stats. At that point, it's pretty much in the eye of the beholder if they are a franchise guy or not.
    Stats are certainly part of the equation, but most definitely not the end all be all.

This is almost like arguing who the best at anything is. Just not possible to define, with few exceptions.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Stats are certainly part of the equation, but most definitely not the end all be all.

This is almost like arguing who the best at anything is. Just not possible to define, with few exceptions.
    For sure. It's a great bar or message board argument, but it's never going to have an objective answer.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

I'm glad Coach started this thread. With all the discussion as to who is a "franchise quarterback"
    or whether a given player is, or will be, without a black-and-white definition is kind of humorous
    in a way, now that I think about it.

It's something we will know if and when it happens for a given individual. But it may be futile to
    try to put down on paper as to why.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

9. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

A franchise QB is the QB that you know is going to start/win the job, every year no matter whom is brought in, drafted, etc. He is the player that will not be replaced or traded (Brady, phyllis, Big ben, etc). In a way they are a lot like your perfect wife. Once you have the perfect girl, you marry her, lock her up and do not (most of you anyway) go out looking for a better one. You have the best you can have. Eventually, she will get older and uglier and then you go through a mid life crisis (draft a new one). But that is a franchise QB.

A QB with whom you do not worry about replacing or competition or anything else.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don't think there's a definitive answer, but my criteria would be something like (and I'd look at these as not every single one is required every single year to make you as such):

A.) Leaves no doubt going into camp that he is the starter (this would be a requirement, not subject to above statement).
    B.) Quickly learns any playbook; knows everyone's responsibility.
    C.) Gives teammates, coaches, fans the belief that they can lead a scoring drive on every drive from any position on the field.
    D.) Able to produce elite statistical years.
    E.) Able to carry a team to a conference championship (this doesn't say Super Bowl title, because I believe flukey things happen once you reach this stage of the season.

There are some basic things too, adequate to strong arm, mental acuity, pocket presence, athletic ability, which I would say kind of falls into A. A certain level of cockiness/assurity, and presence.

Definitely subjective.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I like the "leaves no doubt who the starter is and you aren't looking to replace him" definition.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Out of curiosity. Was Marino a franchise QB? Would Manning have been minus the two rings?

17. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I don't think there's a definitive answer, but my criteria would be something like (and I'd look at these as not every single one is required every single year to make you as such):

A.) Leaves no doubt going into camp that he is the starter (this would be a requirement, not subject to above statement).
    B.) Quickly learns any playbook; knows everyone's responsibility.
    C.) Gives teammates, coaches, fans the belief that they can lead a scoring drive on every drive from any position on the field.
    D.) Able to produce elite statistical years.
    E.) Able to carry a team to a conference championship (this doesn't say Super Bowl title, because I believe flukey things happen once you reach this stage of the season.

There are some basic things too, adequate to strong arm, mental acuity, pocket presence, athletic ability, which I would say kind of falls into A. A certain level of cockiness/assurity, and presence.

Definitely subjective.
    You just described MOfield to a T
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

19. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    A franchise QB is the QB that you know is going to start/win the job, every year no matter whom is brought in, drafted, etc. He is the player that will not be replaced or traded (Brady, phyllis, Big ben, etc). In a way they are a lot like your perfect wife. Once you have the perfect girl, you marry her, lock her up and do not (most of you anyway) go out looking for a better one. You have the best you can have. Eventually, she will get older and uglier and then you go through a mid life crisis (draft a new one). But that is a franchise QB.

A QB with whom you do not worry about replacing or competition or anything else.
    And he dives for balls!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    You just described MOfield to a T
    Lol. No.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post

I think I like this answer best, but it's UR29, so I also hate this answer and think it's crap.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Out of curiosity. Was Marino a franchise QB? Would Manning have been minus the two rings?
    Yes and yes IMO. Super bowl wins is one of the most overrated ways to judge a QB. For example, I'd take Rivers over Eli in their primes and not think twice about it.

My threshold for how much you need to "win" as a franchise QB is just keeping your team competitive year after year. Once you get into the single elimination playoffs, things are just too fluky.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information