Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: JFE listed as one of the least trusted GM's in the NFL

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This is definitely a make or break draft for Elway. We have a ton of picks early in rounds this year. If he drafts another crop of busts, it's going to get harder and harder to defend him.

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    it's going to get harder and harder to defend him.
    Not likely, some people will continue to cut him slack because he is John Elway. I mean, he is my alltime favorite player and i am incredibly grateful that he has managed to already help this organization win another SB. But with his new duties it certainly goes farther than just the immediate future and now is the time for him to start laying the groundwork for this organization for the next decade. If he cant do that than we simply move on from him as well until we can find someone who can create that groundwork. I dont expect John to hit on every pick but i agree with you that this is a very important draft this year.

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

the vultures are circling, I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    It's not his free agent acumen I'm worried about. His second and and third round (especially third) picks have not been good, and that's hurting the depth when players like Talib (and soon Roby), Jackson, J. Thomas, Decker, Ward, etc., get too expensive. Just as an example, if Cody Lattimer is the possession receiver we all thought we might have, then Denver isn't staring a slot receiver in the face this year in the fourth or fifth round, and the Henderson kid who didn't even see the field last year (Carlos?). And he's now 0-2 on early quarterbacks (the position that can really bite you in the ass in the draft).

I want to have faith, but this is kind of getting ugly.
    2017 draft has been a whiff so far. Hard to tell how much of that is development/scheme/employment/prep. Between Elway and VJ, there isn't much recent success to show for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

5 straight AFCW titles and a SB > 2 years of missing the playoffs. I think he's earned at least two more seasons before I turn my back on him. If we miss the playoffs for two more years I'll be on the fire Elway train, right now, no way. How many people here have enjoyed the type of successes in their job that he has the last 7 years?

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    This is definitely a make or break draft for Elway. We have a ton of picks early in rounds this year. If he drafts another crop of busts, it's going to get harder and harder to defend him.
    True. We need to see the team tending upwards for sure.

I think Elway will always do what is best for the Broncos bottom line, which can interfere with players sticking around and getting paid.

I don't always agree with his course of money actions but one must admit the Broncos have never been in a situation where money is the issue due to dead space and contract killers.

11. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

My big problem with Elway as GM is his drafts. Us and the Browns are the only two teams that have not drafted a ProBowler since 2012. I believe that was the stat I heard.

Just too many draft mistakes to overlook. Drafting Bolles instead of Ramzcyk(sp?) or Robinson. Drafting Paxton. Pretty much all of last years draft. So many misses.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    5 straight AFCW titles and a SB > 2 years of missing the playoffs. I think he's earned at least two more seasons before I turn my back on him. If we miss the playoffs for two more years I'll be on the fire Elway train, right now, no way. How many people here have enjoyed the type of successes in their job that he has the last 7 years?
    I agree with you, but at the same time. I have to really question how much of that was just having Manning fall into his lap, and how much of that was Elway...

He's gotta start hitting on the draft picks or he's probably on his way out.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I agree with you, but at the same time. I have to really question how much of that was just having Manning fall into his lap, and how much of that was Elway...

He's gotta start hitting on the draft picks or he's probably on his way out.
    Pretty much my thought. The ONE season we made the playoffs without Manning, it took the Raiders choking the division in week 17 and a Tebow to DT miracle to win a wild card game. Other than that...Manning has been our success. Both in victories and aiding in getting top free agents to come here.

As mentioned, the bottom line is Elway is going to have to figure out how to draft. Unfortunately for him, it is critical this year and he happens to hold a top 5 pick. We have an aging team and an infusion of young quality talent is needed. Otherwise, Elway's legacy is going to start to dim a little. Hate to see that.

17. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I don't like the idea of trading down. I get the Broncos have many holes to fill, starting with that offensive line.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Pretty much my thought. The ONE season we made the playoffs without Manning, it took the Raiders choking the division in week 17 and a Tebow to DT miracle to win a wild card game. Other than that...Manning has been our success. Both in victories and aiding in getting top free agents to come here.

As mentioned, the bottom line is Elway is going to have to figure out how to draft. Unfortunately for him, it is critical this year and he happens to hold a top 5 pick. We have an aging team and an infusion of young quality talent is needed. Otherwise, Elway's legacy is going to start to dim a little. Hate to see that.
    If he blows this draft, or at least doesn't hit several picks out of the ballpark, I think he's smart enough to remain EVP and bring in a GM.

At least that would be my hope.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

On the flip side, Ozzie is pretty much most respected.

Ravens?

2017 9-7
    2016 8-8
    2015 5-11
    2014 10-6
    2013 8-8
    2012 10-6
    2011 12-4

Since 2011, his teams haven't exactly been the model of NE type consistency.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Elway has a horrible reputation with players, started to go south with the Von Miller negotiations that got so bad that the two ruined the ring ceremony with a very heated and physical confrontation.

Elway has become detrimental in free agency and he sucks in the draft.

Btw, I’ve been reliably told by Cugel that the Broncos have a capologist that dictates contract negotiations, so apparently he’s the one that’s prepared.
    I don't remember ever hearing about a physical confrontation between Elway and Von? I know there was the photo cropping drama and hurt feelings, but what are you referring to?

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    It's not his free agent acumen I'm worried about. His second and and third round (especially third) picks have not been good, and that's hurting the depth when players like Talib (and soon Roby), Jackson, J. Thomas, Decker, Ward, etc., get too expensive. Just as an example, if Cody Lattimer is the possession receiver we all thought we might have, then Denver isn't staring a slot receiver in the face this year in the fourth or fifth round, and the Henderson kid who didn't even see the field last year (Carlos?). And he's now 0-2 on early quarterbacks (the position that can really bite you in the ass in the draft).

I want to have faith, but this is kind of getting ugly.
    Henderson the wr went on IR last year. He broke his wrist in the preseason.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information