Poll: Would Broncos fans rather have Rosen or Allen over Chubb right now?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Broncos fans rather have Rosen or Allen over Chubb right now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Default Would Broncos fans rather have Rosen or Allen over Chubb right now?

Just wondering where everyone is. No, we don't know how things will play out. I jumped the gun a bit about Chubb, cause I was foolishly comparing to him to Khalil Mack. He is looking like a nice complientary piece and being that the Broncos will be needing to deal with Mahomes over the next decade, I think that pick looks pretty damn good. As of right now.

Nearly half way through the season, would we have rather had Josh Allen or Rosenberg over Chubb?

Adopted Bronco:

Chubb was the best player available...by far, and a competent pass defense is necessary in today's NFL. If Darnold or Mayfield had been available, this might be a different conversation, but I always preferred Chubb over Allen and Rosen.

3. The Following 10 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Thumbs up

Let's at least be totally honest about this stuff.

The reason Elway drafted Chubb and not Allen or Rosen was that he thought

"we can win with a great defense, like we did in 2015. Maybe a little better offense, because Keenum will be better than Peyton with a torn foot-tendon and unable to throw, but not a LOT better, and a defense that isn't historically great, because we no longer have Malik Jackson or especially HOF DeMarcus Ware, but still great combo.

"We'll strengthen the OL, recreate the ferocious rush defense by drafting Chubb, and get a couple of RBs and a WR who don't suck and we'll compete to go deep in the playoffs, if not SB! And developing a rookie QB for 2 or three years isn't for us! We want to win now!"
    It didn't work because:

1. The defense wasn't great or even good since they dropped Wade, and lost Jackson, Trevathan, TJ Ward, and Talib - until last night.

2. Keenum was worse than advertised.

3. The OL wasn't fixed and couldn't pass-block my grandmother. And she's been dead since 1980.

4. Bolles is proving an embarrassing first round bust to add to the embarrassing number of first and second rounders they've wasted (Sylvester Williams, Ty Sambrailo, Paxton Lynch, Cody Latimer, Montee Ball, etc., etc.)

5. Still no TEs (and Jake Butt whom they were counting on to have a big season is back on IR and may never stay off it).

6. The Secondary isn't the No-Fly Zone without Talib - until last night.

So the failures of this team isn't VJ's fault or Keenum's fault. The fault for the shoddy design lies with #7 all the way. HE is the reason this team has sucked. His TERRIBLE drafting for 4 years prior to this year. Even a blind pig can find a truffle once in a while, but Elway proved unable to find a decent draft pick. And so behind a crust of ageing SB veterans they had, virtually nothing.

Until this season, and this year's promising draft was proving too little, too late.

Now does this prove that Elway should have drafted Rosen or Josh Allen? No. Chubb is looking like a future All-Pro after racking up 6.5 sacks in his first 7 games. He's had 5 in two weeks. True, the Cardinals will go 1-15 this year, and fight with the Raiders for the #1 overall pick, but the Rams are a great team and Goff is a very good QB and he sacked him 3 times in a close game.

So, the problem certainly isn't Chubb who is exactly what was advertised - an impact pass rusher after they moved him back to his natural position - DE rather than stand-up outstide LB. He has nothing but greatness ahead of him!

As for Rosen? Last night we saw a LOT of why 1/2 the league passed on him. Not just the top 10 teams, but all the other teams that needed or drafted a QB (including the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, etc.)

As for Allen? 54% completion %, 1 TDs, 4 INTs, and a passer rating of 61.8. So far, bust and now he's injured and out for a while.

But of course it would be idiotic to judge either of these QBs by their first 6 games as rookies on pretty bad teams. Elway himself looked terrible his rookie year, and pretty much year two as well.

So, it takes a while, and sometimes a guy who looks great as a rookie isn't (RGIII).

We won't really know for 3 years whether either of these guys will playoff winning QBs (would you judge Andy Dalton by his regular season stats, or Alex Smith?) But, for now, it looks like Chubb was the best of them.

The other option which fans and media criticize Elway for is not moving up to #3 in the draft, trading with the Colts and drafting Sam Darnold.

Darnold certainly looked good beating the Broncos, but he's barely 21 years old and will take a while to really develop. Again we won't know for years if he's really the next Joe Namath, or rather the next flash in the pan like the Butt-fumbler (who actually led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game twice before flaming out totally).

And think of what the Jets gave up to move up 4 spots to get him? A first and 2 second rounders this year, and a 2nd rounder next year. 4 picks for 1 guy.

They say "if he's our franchise QB for the next 10 years it was worth it!" OH? And WHEN will it be worth it?

Because the Jets aren't going anywhere the next couple of years without any draft picks to strengthen them despite being 3-3 so far.

So, it's a wild risk taking that strategy and it usually pays off -- for the next head coach and GM after they FIRE the ones who made that trade.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Chubb was the right call because of the Keenum signing. And while i dont think Allen is that good i dont think Rosen would have had a problem here. Chubb or not the team is still below .500. Just like some people jumped the gun with Chubb people are jumping the gun with Allen and Rosen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I personally don't think one had to spend a 1st or 2nd pick on a QB to be successful.

Only top QBs to win the Super Bowl last 20 years has been Elway, Eli Manning and Peyton Manning.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I personally don't think one had to spend a 1st or 2nd pick on a QB to be successful.

Only top QBs to win the Super Bowl last 20 years has been Elway, Eli Manning and Peyton Manning.
    Is that the first or second pick overall, or first or second round selections overall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Is that the first or second pick overall, or first or second round selections overall?
    Not really sure where he's going with that. Only QB's to win a Super Bowl in the last 20 years that weren't round 1 or 2 picks have been Brady, Foles, Wilson, Johnson

11. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Well, he did say "1st or 2nd pick", not round.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Fair. It did read sort of vague though.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I just wanted to make sure I understood the point.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Fair. It did read sort of vague though.
    Agreed. He didnt list Ben or Rodgers and both were first round picks.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    As was Dilfer...and Brees was barely round 2.

17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I asked the question because if it was interpreted in a literal fashion the point meant almost nothing. If it was interpreted the other way then it would be wildly incorrect.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Top meaning Top 5 pick people. Wasnt it obvious?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information