Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: T's backyard

Oh, I guess I never clicked submit on the first one.

This was from about an hour earlier, when only one flew by. I had said in my lost post that normally it's two or three, and he seemed to be following the river that tucks in below the bluff I'm on (can kind of see through the trees) and then moved back into the valley, so these flights today seem to be a little lower and following the river. Sometimes they fly directly over the house.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I miss C-130s a lot and those videos make me feel very nostalgic. That plane in the second video was moving.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I miss C-130s a lot and those videos make me feel very nostalgic. That plane in the second video was moving.
    We're in a low level MOA around here (when I was flying had to always keep that in mind). I think 0-2500 feet, but while it's hard to eyeball from the ground, my guess is these guys are normally 1000-1500 AGL, although at times I would almost swear they are getting closer to 500.

The amount of training runs plummeted during sequestration, but have slowly been ramping up. For years, we rarely saw anything less than three C-130s flying around here (60 NMs or so from LRAFB) doing runs, but would fly over where I work and stuff, and now that I live on the river, we pretty much get daily runs, and sometimes like today, multiple runs.

6. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I would love to live in proximity to a C-130 base. I'd be one of those squirrely old vets standing outside with my GWOT Veteran hat saluting the planes as they flew buy while wearing a VFW vest that has a ton of flair fastened to it.

But not really.

I would love to live in proximity to a C-130 base. I'd be one of those squirrely old vets standing outside with my GWOT Veteran hat saluting the planes as they flew buy while wearing a VFW vest that has a ton of flair fastened to it.

But not really.

Can't tell you how many times driving up 167 I would be leaning over the dash looking at them doing their touch and go (or not quite touch) training.

I flew over the base one time (strange, but Little Rock tower had me fly directly over the base at 2500 feet) and it was wild, because there's the one big runway, and right next to it looked like a gravel strip, and I would have never known if not flying over the top, but those touch and go type runs are down the gravel strip, which I guess is practice for dropping pallets. That was wild watching it as a C-130 was flying over the gravel strip as I flew over.
    Last edited by Tned; 12-17-2020 at 05:46 PM.

9. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post

Can't tell you how many times driving up 167 I would be leaning over the dash looking at them doing their touch and go (or not quite touch) training.

I flew over the base one time (strange, but Little Rock tower had me fly directly over the base at 2500 feet) and it was wild, because there's the one big runway, and right next to it looked like a gravel strip, and I would have never known if not flying over the top, but those touch and go type runs are down the gravel strip, which I guess is practice for dropping pallets. That was wild watching it as a C-130 was flying over the gravel strip as I flew over.
    We had an "assault strip" at Dyess too. They would practice their assault landings and takeoffs there. Sometimes would do touch and go.

I think it was 2009 I went TDY to Little Rock to pick up some DVs and between Dyess and LRAFB we did touch and go in Texarkana at that little regional airport for like three hours. I was almost sick to my stomach when we finished that.

Then we landed at LRAFB and had to change a prop.

11. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

We had an "assault strip" at Dyess too. They would practice their assault landings and takeoffs there. Sometimes would do touch and go.

I think it was 2009 I went TDY to Little Rock to pick up some DVs and between Dyess and LRAFB we did touch and go in Texarkana at that little regional airport for like three hours. I was almost sick to my stomach when we finished that.

Then we landed at LRAFB and had to change a prop.
    Hey, now I know what a DV is!!

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Hey, now I know what a DV is!!
    Fun fact, the DVs I picked up were the 18th AF Commander and Command Chief. The Command Chief, CMSgt Cody, became the CMSAF just before I got out. Pretty cool that I got to fly him and got a coin from both he and the Commander.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information