Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: T's backyard

Here's kind of a cool video. This was last June 1st. At about the 25 second mark you see the group leader asserting himself. Interestingly, his rack is far more developed than all the other bucks that I have on video around that time. The second video is also from June first (four bucks) and it's a couple rearing up at each other. You notice their antlers (like most in the first video) are just starting to come in.

2. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    They look like dinner.

j/k. I don't really care for venison.
    I've had it here and there over the years, but to be honest mostly I've had it in Germany and it can be very good. It's common to see venison on menus there. I'm not sure if they raise them on farms or are hunted, but they prepare it really good. Doesn't have the gamey taste I've experienced with deer people have shot around here. It's a unique taste, but different than the locally shot deer.

P.S. I'm going to do a better job of weed control this year. They sell a grass killer that won't kill the clover, and I'm going to spray that in the next week or so. On the one hand, the deer like the cover of the grass, but it kept sun off the clover and made taking pictures a bitch. Camera kept wanting to focus on grass in front of the deer.

Working from home today and heard the thump thump thump of a helicopter. Ignored it for a while, figuring it was just heading to the local airport or the medivac going to the hospital, but after a while, it just sounded different and like more than one, so went and checked and saw a couple military helicopters fly by. We get C130s daily since this is the route they fly in training out of the Little Rock Air Force base, but I haven't seen military helicopters before (granted I'm not home during the day Monday - Friday very often).

By the time I decided to go look, they were well passed the house and even at maximum (500mm) they are small. I still don't know my camera well enough that in the heat of the moment, I didn't play with shutter speed between shots. These are at 1/320, which I find works pretty good from the tripod looking down on the food plot, but I'm

Looks like an Apache and a Huey variant. Can't make out markings to see if it's Arkansas national guard or Army/Marine. The closeups are just crops done in Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Those are great shots, T. Where's all the bucks?
    Here you go, short of going down and lifting their legs, here's the first actual evidence of a buck. These two came by this evening. One of them just has tiny nubs starting to come in, which you can see between his eyes and ears.

Based on this being the time of year that the does should be dropping foals, I'm still pretty sure those others are bucks, but this guy definitely is.

7. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Have you ever watched them bang?

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Have you ever watched them bang?
    Ya, but don't take any pictures, as I feel that violates the deer/photog code of trust.

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

As I was downstairs making coffee, so this is just a screen grab off my deer cam. A group of 13 this morning. Now that the clover has gotten tall, I've got groups coming multiple times a day.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

A group wandered through the food plot this morning.

The antlers are just starting to come in. Some still have nothing, others just small nubs and one is far enough along that the first branch is starting to form.

In that second picture, even though I'm about 30 feet above them (and probably 150' away) standing at a window, I think he heard the shutter sounds and stared right up at me, so I took a couple straight on shots.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

I've done a crap job of maintaining the feed plot this year and haven't dropped any supplemental feed, but I was out checking sprinklers (inside the fence) and saw this the other day. Just went and grabbed video from the camera. The doe saw me and stared at me for a while and then decided they better leave.

16. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Yesterday evening:

This morning:

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

T......I see a lot of deer sausage/jerky, and rabbit stew.

Awesome, pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    T......I see a lot of deer sausage/jerky, and rabbit stew.

Awesome, pics.
    Think of this as my own little sanctuary back yard. All who come are welcome, fed and protected from evil hunters. .

21. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Think of this as my own little sanctuary back yard. All who come are welcome, fed and protected from evil hunters. .
    They're just living life. The older I have gotten, the more I've watched, and less I've hunted.

23. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    They're just living life. The older I have gotten, the more I've watched, and less I've hunted.
    I'm not anti hunting, by any stretch, but I do enjoy the watching, but also enjoy eating what others have hunted.

Deer are overpopulated here.

25. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information