Thread: Folds of Honor -- providing scholarships to children of military members

Default Folds of Honor -- providing scholarships to children of military members

On a rare day that I could watch news in the morning, I saw a piece about Folds of Honor -- https://www.foldsofhonor.org/ -- and this is apparently an organization that gives scholorships to spouses and children of wounded or killed members of our military. I don't know anything about them, other than what I saw this morning and a few things I've read on their site.

I thought others might be interested in checking them out if they hadn't heard about them. This is from their site.

Since 2007, the Folds of Honor has carried forth this singular, noble mission. To provide educational scholarships to spouses and children of America’s fallen and disabled service-members.
    Our motto says it best.
    Honor Their Sacrifice. Educate Their Legacy.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    On a rare day that I could watch news in the morning, I saw a piece about Folds of Honor -- https://www.foldsofhonor.org/ -- and this is apparently an organization that gives scholorships to spouses and children of wounded or killed members of our military. I don't know anything about them, other than what I saw this morning and a few things I've read on their site.

I thought others might be interested in checking them out if they hadn't heard about them. This is from their site.

Since 2007, the Folds of Honor has carried forth this singular, noble mission. To provide educational scholarships to spouses and children of America’s fallen and disabled service-members.
    Our motto says it best.
    Honor Their Sacrifice. Educate Their Legacy.
    Some States also provide free tuition to State schools, California and Texas are the two that immediately come to mind.

4. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Some States also provide free tuition to State schools, California and Texas are the two that immediately come to mind.
    Oregon also.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

6. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    There is a catch to that...at least in Texas. I'm a disabled veteran that has been a resident of Texas since 1994. But neither I, nor my kids qualify for state benefits because I was not a resident on the date of my enlistment. Conversely, I don't qualify for Pennsylvania state benefits because I am not currently a resident of Pennsylvania. So, in the cases I've experienced, the benefits are only valid if you are from that state and still live in that state and don't move anywhere. Because I chose to live in a part of the country that was better for my career and my family, my disability doesn't mean shit at the state level.

There is also a general benefit through the VA that aids with tuition if the veteran has at least a 30% disability. But in that scenario, your determination is left in the hands of humans. Example: I blew out my ACL, MCL and meniscus and had two surgeries to get it all "fixed". During rehab, I injured my hip flexor and the Corps decided after all of it, I would be med boarded out. As a result of all that, the best I have received over 24 years is a 20% disability, which does not qualify for education benefits. Conversely, I know a guy that has slight hearing loss, chronic back pain and headaches...and he gets 40% disability.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    There is a catch to that...at least in Texas. I'm a disabled veteran that has been a resident of Texas since 1994. But neither I, nor my kids qualify for state benefits because I was not a resident on the date of my enlistment. Conversely, I don't qualify for Pennsylvania state benefits because I am not currently a resident of Pennsylvania. So, in the cases I've experienced, the benefits are only valid if you are from that state and still live in that state and don't move anywhere. Because I chose to live in a part of the country that was better for my career and my family, my disability doesn't mean shit at the state level.

There is also a general benefit through the VA that aids with tuition if the veteran has at least a 30% disability. But in that scenario, your determination is left in the hands of humans. Example: I blew out my ACL, MCL and meniscus and had two surgeries to get it all "fixed". During rehab, I injured my hip flexor and the Corps decided after all of it, I would be med boarded out. As a result of all that, the best I have received over 24 years is a 20% disability, which does not qualify for education benefits. Conversely, I know a guy that has slight hearing loss, chronic back pain and headaches...and he gets 40% disability.
    Call a Veteran's service organization, such as Disabled American Vets, and give them a POA to deal with the VA on your behalf. They employ lawyers, etc, to go over the VA rules and deal with the VA to ensure you get what you're entitled.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information