Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: History tells us the NFL is terrible at evaluating quarterbacks. Here's what it means for 2018

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Btw, how in the **** is KC less established than CK?

#BizarroWorld
    #CugelFoundHisTebow
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The latest report is that the Browns and Giants don't love any of the QBs and are uncertain and might take Chubb and Barkley #1 and #2, rather than Darnold and Rosen, like everybody thought initially.

If that happens it will be because none of the QB prospects are seen as elite, and yet everybody realizes that they need an elite QB so desperate teams will do desperate things. Unfortunately, this is like throwing darts at the wall and hoping one of them sticks. Most won't and the guy whose darts bounce off that wall and fall to the ground gets fired.

So, Elway has to do more than just "pick a guy" and draft him, "because the team doesn't usually pick in the top 5 and this is a great chance." It's actually a worthless chance unless there's a QB available at #5 or a guy Elway can move up enough to get (#4) without giving up too much of his draft so that he can't strengthen the rest of the weak roster that only won 5 games.

And there might not be any next great QB available, either at all, or at #5. This is the depressing reality of the NFL today. Not enough QBs to go around and it's hard to identify which ones will succeed in advance. So some teams settle for Case Keenums of the world. That guy might not be elite, but might be good enough if you give him the right players around him.

The Vikings thought not, but then they think (without any real evidence) that Kirk Cousins (who has never taken his team to the playoffs) is the answer. We'll see on that one. Yet the Redskins didn't think highly enough of Cousins to re-sign him to a long term deal when they could (stupidity? Realization that $28m is too much to pay Cousins? We don't know yet).

If Elway isn't sure, it may be better not to throw that dart, and take a sure thing (one of the top elite prospect position players available --- Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, etc.), then select a QB in a later round and develop him for a year or two along with Chad Kelly.

The Patriots have done this successfully several times in the past (Garoppolo) but the Broncos never (Osweiler).
    Which brings us full circle to my thought a month ago...Cleveland takes Barkley at 1 and "settles" for leftover QB at 4 because they don't necessarily favor any 1 guy at the position...but WILL take a stab at one of them at 4.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Or what about this scenario...Cleveland doesn't love any QB this draft. They take Barkley. Then some other team's eyes get real big when NYG take Chubb. NYJ get their top QB choice, but then Cleveland is actually back in the trade business. Buffalo could get them 3 first rounders and they have plenty of cap room. They could get the QB at 12 and then their OT at 22. Or Vice versa and still have their second rounder. 4 key picks in the top 33. A scenario like this makes their Tyrod Taylor deal that much more valuable. Offense suddenly looks like:

QB...Taylor and a rookie (maybe Mayfield or Rosen do drop to 12)
    RB...Barkley
    WR...a clean Gordon, a newly wealthy former Dolphin and a top flight rookie to begin round 2.
    OL...a very nice prospect at 12 or 22 to help with Thomas leaving.

Offense fixed in 1 offseason.

Defense gets depth the rest of the draft.

4. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Or what about this scenario...Cleveland doesn't love any QB this draft. They take Barkley. Then some other team's eyes get real big when NYG take Chubb. NYJ get their top QB choice, but then Cleveland is actually back in the trade business. Buffalo could get them 3 first rounders and they have plenty of cap room. They could get the QB at 12 and then their OT at 22. Or Vice versa and still have their second rounder. 4 key picks in the top 33. A scenario like this makes their Tyrod Taylor deal that much more valuable. Offense suddenly looks like:

QB...Taylor and a rookie (maybe Mayfield or Rosen do drop to 12)
    RB...Barkley
    WR...a clean Gordon, a newly wealthy former Dolphin and a top flight rookie to begin round 2.
    OL...a very nice prospect at 12 or 22 to help with Thomas leaving.

Offense fixed in 1 offseason.

Defense gets depth the rest of the draft.
    You ever consider being the Browns GM for this draft? Browns could make bank if they play it smart in this draft.

6. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Now obviously if they LOVE a certain QB, this would be dumb to do. But if not...the draft is their oyster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I just love it when I post a three-paragraph comment and someone picks out one sentence
    and tries to blow it up with that. Especially someone who posts once every six months. So
    you know about Ken O'Brien. Bully for you.

BTW, I see you are a Navy veteran. Thank you for your service to our country.
    1. You’re welcome. I’m sure there are many other vets or active service on this forum, though they are often on duty for six months at a time so you probably burn them for that.

2. If you’re gonna get so upset about people not rescpecting your “three-paragraphs” because one sentence is bull****, my suggestion would be to work on not writing that one sentence of bull****. That’ll take way less time than researching someone’s post history after they point it out.

3. Let no one say that the “blue forum” isn’t at least entertaining.
    Last edited by foco; 04-14-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by foco View Post
    1. You’re welcome. I’m sure there are many other vets or active service on this forum, though they are often on duty for six months at a time so you probably burn them for that.

2. If you’re gonna get so upset about people not rescpecting your “three-paragraphs” because one sentence is bull****, my suggestion would be to work on not writing that one sentence of bull****. That’ll take way less time than researching someone’s post history after they point it out.

3. Let no one say that the “blue forum” isn’t at least entertaining.
    Did you have something meaningful to contribute, or are you here just to troll?
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information