Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos trade for Su’a Cravens

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Griping and mewling, dog. We've updated during the VJ years to griping and mewling.
    lol. . . pretty much. . .

i am curious what their plan is for su'a. . . in a case like this, they aren't permitted any direct contact with the player prior to the trade, are they? i hope they found a way (tampering) to at least talk to his agent, but it's not like there's really much due diligence they can perform. . . i wonder if they plan to have him challenge a todd davis or darian stewart for playing time, or if the intention is to use him strictly as a sub-package linebacker. . .

edit; saw tweets from both renck and klis saying they expect him to compete with stewart for PT. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 03-28-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

i am curious what their plan is for su'a. . . in a case like this, they aren't permitted any direct contact with the player prior to the trade, are they? i hope they found a way (tampering) to at least talk to his agent, but it's not like there's really much due diligence they can perform. . . i wonder if they plan to have him challenge a todd davis or darian stewart for playing time, or if the intention is to use him strictly as a sub-package linebacker. . .

edit; saw tweets from both renck and klis saying they expect him to compete with stewart for PT. . .
    Why be creative with a chess piece that begs for creativity?

This is splendid and I ******* love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I expect him to be the SS and Stewart will become backup with Simmons at FS.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    That means Denver added a starting safety with a 5th round pick, a starting RT with a 6th round pick, and swapped a 7th for a 5th next year (along with Siemian).

Hard to argue with any of that. Just need the players to work out, but you can't say John isn't addressing needs. If he can be more successful with earlier picks this year, that'd be great too.
    And, still with six pics in the top 113 (middle of the 4th round - first half of draft), including that all important 5th overall. Those six picks are in the part of the draft where you should be able to make hay and come up with either impact or role players.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Who are you, and what have you done with our King???

This sure looks like the potential as a nice upgrade, whether in a full time or situational, big nickel, type role.

8. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Who will be a starting safety? Justin Simmons or Su'a Cravens

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Who will be a starting safety? Justin Simmons or Su'a Cravens
    It sounds like he’ll be in on passing downs and providing depth. But even if he were to challenge someone I don’t think he had the range on the backend Simmons does

11. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It sounds like he’ll be in on passing downs and providing depth. But even if he were to challenge someone I don’t think he had the range on the backend Simmons does
    This, but it might also come down to who wins the job. You would expect Stewart to be the lock, but even he could potentially be beaten out in camp. That said, my thinking right now is that we would see Craven in big nickel type scenarios where they go with three safeties, either because it's a passing down, or going up against a dominant TE.

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Actually, according to the almost ex-DP Nicki J, Simmons is the shoe in starter and it will be Craven and Stewart competing for the other spot. At least that's how I read her take here:

In Denver, Cravens will essentially help to fill a void left by Ward, who was a thumper on the back end of the defense. Cravens will vie for a starting safety job with veteran Darian Stewart, who has a fully guaranteed salary of $4.5 million for 2018, and compete with Will Parks as the Broncos’ nickel linebacker. Third-year safety Justin Simmons will assume the other safety spot.
    https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/2...gton-redskins/

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I swear our offseasons are like a monkey flinging poo at a ceiling fan.
    I'm glad the Broncos get five months for their fans to forget how we acquired some of these guys. Okay, Fanspeak drafters, back to the drawing boards...
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

it's good value for that price, because he fills a big need. . . i doubt we end up getting much out of him, though. . . linebackers and safeties make a living taking on blocks and hitting guys. . . how long before he gets another concussion and retires again? if we can get a year or two out of him, it's decent value for what we gave up, so no big deal. . . i don't really think he's the kind of kicking and screaming guy we supposedly want in the locker room, though. . . it feels like that philosophy kind of went by the wayside with vance here. . .
    Players taken in fifth round and under have less than 50% chance of becoming a starter or panning out at all. In that sense, using them to bring in people who are guaranteed to make the club is a smart percentage move. Thanks to UDFAs, you can always get depth for special teams and training camp.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Horray! We made King happy! Go Broncos!

18. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Horray! We made King happy! Go Broncos!
    Kid has shown he's pretty good (thus far) and he fills a need for cheap. He's definitely got the physical talent - he might be a headcase, but he's also coming from one of the worst ran franchises in the entirety of the NFL. That doesn't make it any easier. You can keep an appease a problem child for awhile, and the value we get, even if we have to cut him, is so potentially high that it's worth it. The retirement talk is scary, but he looks like he's all in this year. I suspect that he will be a very productive player for us this season as he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove Washington wrong. The problems are more likely to resurface/begin here in year two. But, for that contract, and that ability, and that cost, it's gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    This, but it might also come down to who wins the job. You would expect Stewart to be the lock, but even he could potentially be beaten out in camp. That said, my thinking right now is that we would see Craven in big nickel type scenarios where they go with three safeties, either because it's a passing down, or going up against a dominant TE.
    Stewart showed some slowdown last season so who knows. Craven is young enough that he could back Stewart for a year and then take over. I think Stewart's contract is up next season.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information